Bo was Fuming

Husker_x

I just caught the (typically) brief post-game presser. As soon as Bo walked in the room, you could tell. When he huffed into the microphone as if preparing himself to bottle the beast which would rather be unleashed, you could surely tell. And when he answered a question in a rising, face-reddening mantra that went on at least five or six sentences, you could really tell.

"The offense just got their you-know-what chewed."

I don't know why the offense has these terrible days. While listening to the broadcast I don't think anyone could help but have flashes of Iowa State. Why is it that our defense can play with such precision for so long and our offense can take a dump all over itself like that? What on earth is going on with the coaching staff?

No, this is not a fire Cotton/Gilmore/Watson thread. But it is an observation: Offensive busts happened and are happening with a lot more frequency than defensive ones. And we're not talking 3-pick days––those will happen. We're talking putting the ball on the ground seven times and throwing another pick days.

The press conference more or less concluded with Bo promising in no uncertain terms that this sad business will stop come next Saturday. I hope he's right. I have no explanation whatsoever for this hot/frigid cold 'identity' the offense has. I hope it does get corrected. I don't know how it will, but it had most certainly better.

---

Flipping to the defense––lights out. Yeah, 17 points is too many, even with the one TD coming in scrub time. But that secondary flexed today. Locker just got a sick feeling in his stomach.

D-line stepped it up. Seven sacks. Crick is beginning to live up to the hype.

Next week it's put up or shut up time. Our offense has more to prove now than they did before the season started. We all see the potential, but we all see the lack of concentration, stupid penalties, stupid fumbles, careless ball handling, and wasted chances. We don't walk out of Washington with a convincing W and my skepticism of this team doubles in an instant.

Nebraska plays to their level in my opinion. Put them against a bad team, they play bad. Put them against the national champ, and they beat them. Bo will not let these mistakes go untouched. I think going away for a game is going to be good for NE. I bet the whole team steps up and plays better. One thing about home field is the players get so pumped up, i think they get big headed and do stupid things. They will go into Washington, ring Lockers bell a couple times, wear them out, and win easy.

I'm going to chalk up some of the mistakes, again, to the team being uninterested after half. We only had 1 turnover at half and that was on a QB hit from the blindside. If it's a close game next week and the offense is still making these types of mistakes (mistakes you can't blame on a freshman QB), then I'd be worried about the rest of the season. Right now I'm wary, but confident.

Yeah, we were up 31-3 at the half, weren't we? I missed some of the 2nd half but the lack of intensity is understandable.

TOP was low again today, wasn't it. Our O wasn't on the field for 7.5 straight minutes to end the 2nd quarter. We had 4 drives in the first half total and those were all expedited by huge runs.

I didn't think Bo sounded "fuming" or upset. He seemed ok with the defense and a little disappointed with the offense but knows things will get fixed.

Here's a thought. Perhaps we have a staff that evaluates defensive talent very well and puts together a nice cohesive unit and the offensive playmakers we have are prone to lapses...(niles) or our offensive philosophy doesn't allow us to fine-tune things. Don't know yet.

wats better get this offense interested in playing 4 quarters and fast...things will only get tougher from here.

Last week it was the defense being interested for four quarters, this week it was the offense being interested for four quarters.

My guess is Bo knocked a lot of sense into this team after the game, especially the offense. I expect them to come out strong against Washington this week.

I just caught the (typically) brief post-game presser. As soon as Bo walked in the room, you could tell. When he huffed into the microphone as if preparing himself to bottle the beast which would rather be unleashed, you could surely tell. And when he answered a question in a rising, face-reddening mantra that went on at least five or six sentences, you could really tell.

I don't know why the offense has these terrible days. While listening to the broadcast I don't think anyone could help but have flashes of Iowa State. Why is it that our defense can play with such precision for so long and our offense can take a dump all over itself like that? What on earth is going on with the coaching staff?

No, this is not a fire Cotton/Gilmore/Watson thread. But it is an observation: Offensive busts happened and are happening with a lot more frequency than defensive ones. And we're not talking 3-pick days––those will happen. We're talking putting the ball on the ground seven times and throwing another pick days.

The press conference more or less concluded with Bo promising in no uncertain terms that this sad business will stop come next Saturday. I hope he's right. I have no explanation whatsoever for this hot/frigid cold 'identity' the offense has. I hope it does get corrected. I don't know how it will, but it had most certainly better.

---

Flipping to the defense––lights out. Yeah, 17 points is too many, even with the one TD coming in scrub time. But that secondary flexed today. Locker just got a sick feeling in his stomach.

Next week it's put up or shut up time. Our offense has more to prove now than they did before the season started. We all see the potential, but we all see the lack of concentration, stupid penalties, stupid fumbles, careless ball handling, and wasted chances. We don't walk out of Washington with a convincing W and my skepticism of this team doubles in an instant.

I thought it would be obvious, SW isn't as good as many thought he was. "Vanilla is bad" how would you describe only being able to make plays out of the zone read? or not being able to throw. IMHO we need a new OC but i have thought that since he was hired. big 12 champ game 07 i believe? establish a run then throw it for the entire second half. Still say we could get a better OC but what do i really know in the long run. GBR.

I didn't think Bo sounded "fuming" or upset. He seemed ok with the defense and a little disappointed with the offense but knows things will get fixed.

Here's a thought. Perhaps we have a staff that evaluates defensive talent very well and puts together a nice cohesive unit and the offensive playmakers we have are prone to lapses...(niles) or our offensive philosophy doesn't allow us to fine-tune things. Don't know yet.

I don't think there is an evaluation problem but i do think our current offense is prone to lapses Paul most of all. and you also hit the nail on the head. Fine-tuning our offense seems to be a big issue. its possible that Billy C was a big part of the success of our offense the few previous years and not SW.

I don't think there is an evaluation problem but i do think our current offense is prone to lapses Paul most of all. and you also hit the nail on the head. Fine-tuning our offense seems to be a big issue. its possible that Billy C was a big part of the success of our offense the few previous years and not SW.

Bill Callahan's offense was just as prone to ineptitude as anything else. I think SW knows what he wants to do but has trouble with his players executing it. Whether that's because he's teaching it wrong or they just need time to get it, I don't know.

---

I thought it would be obvious, SW isn't as good as many thought he was. "Vanilla is bad" how would you describe only being able to make plays out of the zone read? or not being able to throw. IMHO we need a new OC but i have thought that since he was hired. big 12 champ game 07 i believe? establish a run then throw it for the entire second half. Still say we could get a better OC but what do i really know in the long run. GBR.

I don't think you can blame play-calling or game-planning or scheme for what happened today. I thought it was pretty clear that when the offense did their job, when they executed, they were virtually unstoppable. What killed our offense today was turnovers and penalties. I do think they need to teach better, but I think it's a matter of teaching fundamentals, discipline and technique - not teaching the system.

Also, Bo was definitely fuming. He was ready to go back and start practice today. It was great to see. I was a little worried about next week after watching the game today... but not after watching Bo's press conference. He wants to make a statement this Saturday.