A little patience for Taylor Martinez

zoogs

I am disappointed, but not too surprised to see Shawn Watson being once again thrown under the bus after a flashy, 471 yard performance with 360 yards on the ground.

But we won't want to see flashiness and yards, we want to see points!

No. We wanted to see Taylor Martinez make electric plays with his feet and dazzle us with some old school Nebraska quarterbacking style. Check. We wanted to see a commitment to the run game instead of being a finessy pass team. Double check. We wanted to build for the future with an exciting freshman at quarterback. Check and mate.

This is exactly what we have got. Through two games, Taylor has been nothing short of magic with his expert ball fakes and ridiculous running. We had an amazing athlete with Crouch, but Taylor has been averaging something like 15 yards a CARRY. I don't know how you could ask for a better rushing performance than what he has delivered for us at the QB position in two games. 4 touchdowns, approaching 300 yards rushing on what, 21 carries? Phenomenal.

On the other hand, he has struggled through the air. He was pedestrian, although fine, against Western Kentucky. Today, he averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. I'm excusing the pick completely because that is the kind of play that he can easily fix if he just pulls it down and takes the sack next time. We haven't seen him stand tall in the pocket, zone into a pass and just make an awful read that results in a pick, yet. Still, 6.2 yards per attempt is an alarming number given the opponent we faced.

But, he is a freshman. Everyone always said his passing was raw and he had a ways to go in that area. Are we acting surprised now that this turns out to be true? We got precisely what we, and Bo, wanted. An electric running quarterback, passing element be damned, because if defenses key in to take Taylor out, we end up with so many different ways to attack. A guy that is cocky and plays with intensity. A guy that is young and will make freshman mistakes.

This is the bed we asked for. It's the one that we have to live with this year. Taylor has a long ways to go, but he can make progress and we could still win a lot of games this year. I'm :facepalm: at anyone that wants to go and blame Shawn Watson for the ineffectiveness we saw today.

In fact, I think this is one of the best possible outcomes for Taylor that we could have asked for today. The last thing I wanted to see was another game where he dominated in all facets and led us to a blowout victory. He is going to face real adversity and be hit in the mouth and struggle with inconsistency at some point this season. The fact that he is taking those lumps right now, as opposed to against Kansas State or Texas, will have a positive result.

Heading into next week, it's going to be a hostile environment on the road with Washington and it is gonna be a battle. Nothing different from what was expected at the beginning of the season.

• Fire 7

I don't think anyone is dumping anything at Taylor's feet. We would be remiss if we didn't mention that we won the game 38-17 with one TD coming in scrub time, and that our offense churned out more yards on the ground today than they did practically in the entire last half of 2009 (sans Holiday Bowl).

Even though I wouldn't have picked Taylor to start, I'm okay with the decision, and with two games under his belt I understand why it was made. The issue with the offense (and the defense to some extent) is the amount of completely bone-headed miscues that won't cost you against a team like WKU or Idaho, but you better believe they will cost you against Texas.

For instance: We're given the ball twice within the ten yard line and can't come up with a score, or even a first down when it's 4th and 1. Are you kidding me? Nebraska is the one team in the country that I don't believe can get a short first down running he football. Glenn/Q/Tray––it's the merry-go-round that doesn't end. 4th and 1 against Idaho is a gimme for any other team in the top ten, yet when Nebraska trots out there to execute a simple run play, like clockwork it's busted up behind the LOS.

Looking at the score and the stat line, there is no problem. Zoom in a little closer and you see a lot of things that are pretty typical for the first couple games of the season. Zoom it still a little closer and you see whispers of last season and failings that go back to Callahan. I don't want to blow things out of proportion, so I reserve a lot of judgment until conference play, but this team has some issues that need addressing.

Really, Taylor played alright today. 12/17, one interception? He missed a few plays (especially that sure TD to McNeil), and the interception was a rookie mistake, the result of just trying to do too much.

I think the backfield is pretty solid, though, overall. I'm just not sold on the receivers or offensive line.

For instance: We're given the ball twice within the ten yard line and can't come up with a score, or even a first down when it's 4th and 1. Are you kidding me? Nebraska is the one team in the country that I don't believe can get a short first down running he football. Glenn/Q/Tray––it's the merry-go-round that doesn't end. 4th and 1 against Idaho is a gimme for any other team in the top ten, yet when Nebraska trots out there to execute a simple run play, like clockwork it's busted up behind the LOS.

At least it wasn't a freaking punt! :D X, i missed this play, what did we run and how was it stuffed behind the LOS? And for those that watched, how did the OL do again in their fundamentals?

Really, Taylor played alright today. 12/17, one interception? He missed a few plays (especially that sure TD to McNeil), and the interception was a rookie mistake, the result of just trying to do too much.

It's not the 12/17, it's the paltry 105 yards that went with that. I do excuse the INT, though. I'm not sold on the OL either; as for WRs, I'm more concerned that they are not going to have a chance to showcase what they (Niles and McNeil and Kinnie) can do.

I think the backfield is pretty solid, though, overall. I'm just not sold on the receivers or offensive line.

Agreed, this is where many of this teams troubles originate. (Sounds a little familiar doesn't it?) If either of these positions can play more consistently, and especially if the O-line can stop all the boneheaded penalties, then NU could see much better production from here on out.

At least it wasn't a freaking punt! :D X, i missed this play, what did we run and how was it stuffed behind the LOS? And for those that watched, how did the OL do again in their fundamentals?

It's not the 12/17, it's the paltry 105 yards that went with that. I do excuse the INT, though. I'm not sold on the OL either; as for WRs, I'm more concerned that they are not going to have a chance to showcase what they (Niles and McNeil and Kinnie) can do.

Niles, McNeil, Kinnie, and Cotton need to prove they can hold their blocks without bringing back huge run plays for holding penalties. Niles needs to prove that he can go a single game without making a stupid turnover.

For 12 completions, 105 yards is just fine with me. The offense today looked much more like the old Nebraska offenses - 400 yards rushing, 100 passing. I'm ok with that.

As for the WR's being able to showcase what they're able to do, I just don't think that's what this offense is about anymore. It's clear it's becoming a run-first offense, and the WRs are going to have to fit that scheme. They'll have chances to showcase their ability, but they've got to execute their blocks better.

Niles, McNeil, Kinnie, and Cotton need to prove they can hold their blocks without bringing back huge run plays for holding penalties. Niles needs to prove that he can go a single game without making a stupid turnover.

For 12 completions, 105 yards is just fine with me. The offense today looked much more like the old Nebraska offenses - 400 yards rushing, 100 passing. I'm ok with that.

As for the WR's being able to showcase what they're able to do, I just don't think that's what this offense is about anymore. It's clear it's becoming a run-first offense, and the WRs are going to have to fit that scheme. They'll have chances to showcase their ability, but they've got to execute their blocks better.

Lots of early miscues, I agree. And sure that may be where the offense is headed, but is that a waste of the talent that we have now? I disagree that 105 yards is okay for 12 completions. Niles could be stretching the field like he did last year and putting up a lot more than 7 yards a reception. We have a legit deep threat at receiver, who was graded by scouts as the best senior receiver in the country - and he is just going to have to be round peg, square hole jammed into 'not showcasing his abilities'?

That is getting into a separate discussion of course, because it is tied very much into what our QB is capable of doing, so I do hope Taylor is able to pick it up quickly. I'll admit - it isn't easy being patient, even while I think we all should be.

Lots of early miscues, I agree. And sure that may be where the offense is headed, but is that a waste of the talent that we have now? I disagree that 105 yards is okay for 12 completions. Niles could be stretching the field like he did last year and putting up a lot more than 7 yards a reception. We have a legit deep threat at receiver, who was graded by scouts as the best senior receiver in the country - and he is just going to have to be round peg, square hole jammed into 'not showcasing his abilities'?

That is getting into a separate discussion of course, because it is tied very much into what our QB is capable of doing, so I do hope Taylor is able to pick it up quickly. I'll admit - it isn't easy being patient, even while I think we all should be.

Yeah, I didn't see Paul running wide open on deep routes today... Maybe Taylor missed him, but if that was the case, so did I.

And as far as Niles being graded as the top senior receiver in the country, I'm just not sold on that. Maybe he has a fast 40 time, but he has yet to convince me that he's a great football player. I mean, if you were to watch the last two games, without any knowledge of the team, who would you really think was the senior, and the freshman - Niles, or Martinez?

Martinez is a freshman who has made a few, just a few, freshman mistakes. Niles is a senior who has made just about as many freshman mistakes.

I also don't buy the "round peg in a square hole" argument. Saying that we're not using Niles effectively by asking him to block, or by asking him to catch short possession passes to keep the chains moving, is like saying that we're not using Helu effectively when we ask him to pick up a blitz on the QB. It's part of his job to catch short passes, to block. Should we try to hit him for a 70 yard bomb? Sure, if the defense gives it to us. But right now, they're giving us 70 yard runs, and so I'm ok with taking those.

I am starting to come around more and more to being a Martinez fan(I am Cody Green guy). What the kid does with his feet is special and his burst and acceleration to top speed is unteachable and amazing. However my lack of total man crush status with Taylor is his throwing, decision making and pocket presence. The pick today was stupid and even he admitted it. What happens when he's faced with a real pass rush, stud secondaries, and defensive wizards is kind of frightning. He will see a ton of stacked boxes, blitzes and man coverage until he continually proves that he can hit receivers further downfield than 8 yards. Today he missed McNiell so badly with no rush, missed Kinnie running by himself down the hash, and was locking on to his WRs pretty badly too.

As improved as our line is, the likes of K State, Mushcamp and the best secondary in the nation in Texas, and Mizzous front with the Smith boys seriously worry me.

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

If we don't make the Big 12 championship, then I hope people have the sense to question the untouchable Bo Pelini for what would have turned out to be a really questionable call. That is what's at stake here. We hooked the wagon to Taylor, and we are gonna ride it.

But we're 2-0 yet and there is no reason to expect that scenario so far. Some tempered expectations are in order though. Taylor was always going to take his lumps.