Detroit TD Catch, and another observation...

TRIPP

As most or all of us probably have seen. I feel the Detroit TD catch was a catch, but i also agree with the rules so it sucks to be a lions fan. But i dont know if anybody else noticed, but in the Titans game, when Young threw the 56 yard bomb to washington, before washington even touched the ground in the end zone he threw the ball. I havent been able to find a replay to slow it down, but i dont think his feet even touch in the endzone and he tosses the ball. How is that a TD? i know its once the ball crosses the line, but how can you not call that a fumble or something when Calvin Johnson made a great catch and it gets over turned?

side note- im a vikings fan so i dont really care about it, but i seen that Td pass last night and was like he didnt even touch the endzone before he tossed the ball.

That Detroit call was definitely close. It looked to me like Calvin Johnson twisted his body and took a step, then lost the ball as he was putting it on the ground to balance himself. Too bad such a close call decides the game. Oh well, I'd be more upset except if I wasn't a Bears fan.

You gotta admit that Zach Bowman had pretty good coverage on Johnson. A guy who is hard to cover.

Oh well, I'd be more upset except if I wasn't a Bears fan.

I'm a Bears fan and I even said it was a TD. The real question is how long does somebody have to have possession to be considered a catch. From my prespective CJ had possession as soon as he caught the ball with two feet in the endzone and fell on his left knee while palming the ball with full possession. He then landed on his rear end and turned around while on the ground while placing the ball on the ground and pushed off of it to celebrate the game winning TD, something that I believe anybody would've done after catching the game winner.

Does a player have to have like a 20-30 second (a little exaggeration here) time frame to have full possession because it seemed like that was the case for the CJ call yesterday.

Oh well, I'd be more upset except if I wasn't a Bears fan.

I'm a Bears fan and I even said it was a TD. The real question is how long does somebody have to have possession to be considered a catch. From my prespective CJ had possession as soon as he caught the ball with two feet in the endzone and fell on his left knee while palming the ball with full possession. He then landed on his rear end and turned around while on the ground while placing the ball on the ground and pushed off of it to celebrate the game winning TD, something that I believe anybody would've done after catching the game winner.

Does a player have to have like a 20-30 second (a little exaggeration here) time frame to have full possession because it seemed like that was the case for the CJ call yesterday.

I was wondering about that myself. Would it have been a catch if he had spiked the ball as he twisted around. Instead of keeping it in his grasp and taking it to the ground? I think that might have been a TD, even though *less* time of possession.