The Official Chicago Bears thread

NUance

I don't even know what to say about last night's game. One of the worst football games I've watched in a long time. I wouldn't mind having, dare I say it, Rex Grossman playing backup. Then again he might have had double digit fumbles getting sacked that many times. It was nice to start 3-0, but I'm afraid the luck has run out. I didn't have much faith even after the good start.

Yeah, that was painful to watch. On offense anyway. At least the D looked good. Julius Peppers is a force to be reckoned with.

• Fire 1

The first half our D looked good. The second half was entirely different story. Offensively is there anyone in the league with a worse offensive line?

Also I am lost with Martz on a few things. Wouldn't you think a 6 time pro bowl center (Kreutz) would be able to handle the shotgun? I'm assuming Martz doesn't think he can handle it because why on earth would you let Cutler continue trying a 3-5 step drop with your offensive line getting beat so badly? How about at least rolling the pocket? Also did anyone else notice the routes our receivers were running? Even in the 2nd half with guys in Cutlers face they were still running 15-20 yard routes straight up the field and there was no way Cutler was going to have time to get those guys the ball.

I totally questioned Mike Martz's playcalling/decision making also given our offensive line woes. Horrible.

What’s up with Zack Bowman? Is he in the doghouse or something? He didn’t start against the Giants. But he did have a nice play in the 2nd half, causing a fumble that kept Giants out of the endzone.

• Fire 1

Even despite Todd Collins throwing for 32 yards and 4 interceptions the Bears win against Carolina. Are we really 4-1? Honestly I'm not quite sure how.

Well, we’re not 4-1 because of our offense. That's for sure. Seeing how Kyle Orton is doing out in Denver makes me wonder about the coaching.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Turner may help Bears' pass rush

October, 22, 2010 Oct 221:58PM CT

By Jeff DickersonLAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Rookie defensive end Barry Turner could help the Chicago Bears' defense improve its pass rush, according to head coach Lovie Smith.

"When you talk about defensive end, first off, you say can a guy rush the passer," Smith said Friday. "That's what we've seen from him. [He's a] live body, athletic, with speed off the corner. We don't have a lot of guys like him, as far as what he brings to the table.

"Eventually, when you get on the 53-man roster, you have a chance to some day get up. He'll have a chance to some day get up.

Turner, elevated from the Bears practice squad Tuesday, was an undrafted rookie free agent out of Nebraska who finished his collegiate career with 17 sacks, which ranks eighth in Cornhusker history. The 6-3, 259-pound defensive end first caught the team's eye during organized team activities, and followed that up with a solid training camp.

"It's my dream to play in the NFL, to play with Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Tommie Harris and all the other great guys," Turner said. "This week has been a dream come true."

In addition to refining his pass rush skills, Turner spent extra time after practice working with Bears special teams coach Dave Toub, a strong indication the Bears are preparing to dress Turner on game day.

"Early in my college career I played all special teams, so I'm familiar with special teams and understand the importance of special teams," Turner said.

img12857620.jpg

351.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Last couple games the Bears haven't exactly looked sharp. Especially on offense. But only one game behind GB for the conf lead.

I've seen Barry Turner in a few times. In on a few plays. Looking pretty decent.

• Fire 1

Huge bears fan 20+ years here. Gotta say this year actually has some hope esp compared to last year. However, the oline is still worrisome even though they did pretty well today. Also need to get at least one big time receiver. But the D seems to be getting better. Definitely optimistic and hope we get to the playoffs this year. GBB!

Huge bears fan 20+ years here. Gotta say this year actually has some hope esp compared to last year. However, the oline is still worrisome even though they did pretty well today. Also need to get at least one big time receiver. But the D seems to be getting better. Definitely optimistic and hope we get to the playoffs this year. GBB!

If Hester had better hands he would be that big time receiver.

• Fire 1

Bears harass Thigpen, shut out injury-riddled Dolphins

Nov. 18, 2010

CBSSports.com wire reports

Nov. 18, 2010

MIAMI -- The Chicago Bears had a ready response for Brandon Marshall's taunting.

Julius Peppers and a swarming defense allowed only 187 yards and a single third-down conversion Thursday night, and the Bears won 16-0 to send the injury-ravaged Miami Dolphins to their second home shutout in 40 years. My link

Da Bears! Dominating defensive performance last night. Held the fish to 187 yds offense. Dominating!

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bears with very impressive win over Mike Vick and the Beagles. GB helped the division race by dropping one to the Falcons.

Also some guy fell/jumped off an upper tier and died at the game. Weird, tragic stuff.

• Fire 1

I was not expecting that kind of game out of the Bears yesterday. Honestly I cannot believe we are 8-3. I'd still like to see the Bears make a major upgrade at offensive line in the offseason.

Julius Peppers made some big plays yesterday. Probably Cutler's best game as a Bear. I'm still trying to take it all in and understand it!