Nation's best freshman quarterback

I had a post on Taylor Martinez that I thought my interest this board.

MOD EDIT - link removed.

Martinez is a project for throwing the ball, everyone knew that, there will be growing pains, we need to let him learn and not throw him under the bus, for he will be facing some tough competition, let him mature and keep the faith, next year he just might be the whole package and unstoppable.....but not this season, he will probably cost us a game or two, but i am OK with that, knowing what he could be next year.

I didn't run the numbers, but it looks like that first table has T-Mart's QB rating too high and Web's too low.

. . . . . . . . . % . . . yds/gm . . td-int . . QB rating

Martinez . . .59.6 . . . . .133 . . . 2-3 . . . . 139

Webb . . . . . 60.3 . . . .159.2 . . . 6-3 . . . . 127

I didn't run the numbers, but it looks like that first table has T-Mart's QB rating too high and Web's too low.

. . . . . . . . . % . . . yds/gm . . td-int . . QB rating

Martinez . . .59.6 . . . . .133 . . . 2-3 . . . . 139

Webb . . . . . 60.3 . . . .159.2 . . . 6-3 . . . . 127

Those are the ratings from espn, and I just checked them on the team websites and they check out. One reason Martinez' rating is higher is that he's much more explosive, averaging about 9.3 yards per attempt, while Webb only averages about 6.6 yards per attempt.

I still have huge concerns with his ability to throw the ball. Unless he improves rapidly I think this will be a big problem in some of our tougher games this year.

Well, yes and no. From what I saw he was making some bad reads in the option game last week which really put the brakes on our running. I agree that he has a heck of a lot to improve on through the air, but ask Oregon how much you need to throw the ball to be an explosive offense. A little is enough. He's made some good throws through the non-con and Kinnie has proven he can get the YAC. The throws we'll need him to be making 85% of the time aren't Tom Brady throws.

I think Taylor Martinez is actually Jamal Lord in disguise.... <_<

Wow man quit being a hater T-mart still throws better than austin arnad.. that guy sucks 6td 5 interceptions. If anything arnad is like jammal lord without the running abilty.T-mart is doing ok right now he still has a 59.6 rating. Arnad is a 22 year old senior with a 60.6 rating,that isn't much better than taylors completion rate.

Wow man quit being a hater T-mart still throws better than austin arnad.. that guy sucks 6td 5 interceptions. If anything arnad is like jammal lord without the running abilty.T-mart is doing ok right now he still has a 59.6 rating. Arnad is a 22 year old senior with a 60.6 rating,that isn't much better than taylors completion rate.

Jammal Lord? That wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Jammal Lord was an incredible athlete and a helluva good QB. Just didn’t have much of a surrounding cast around him. And maybe not the greatest throwing arm.

Joey, you act like being compared to Jammal Lord is a bad thing. The kid was a pretty darned good QB. Put him on a better team and he has a heck of a career, like Steve Taylor kind of career.

Jammal Lord? That wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Jammal Lord was an incredible athlete and a helluva good QB. Just didn’t have much of a surrounding cast around him. And maybe not the greatest throwing arm.

Well said. He was a load running the ball.

His last year NU went a bowl winning 10 - 3 (2003). How many better seasons have we had since?

If Jamaal was our starting QB this year we would win a national title... Whats so bad about what Cy said.

Joey, you act like being compared to Jammal Lord is a bad thing. The kid was a pretty darned good QB. Put him on a better team and he has a heck of a career, like Steve Taylor kind of career.

Come on now Knapplc... I thought Lord was an excellent athlete, but his passing was not even close to what Steve Taylor's was. Not evn close.