Stadium Expansion

I took those shots above while walking over to get a shot of the mole they've built for the ramp to the north end of the new walking bridge they're putting in. Looks like this thing spills out to the west of the parking lot of Haymarket Park, and a little south. That's kinda no-man's-land, so I'm not sure why they've put it out there - unless the path snakes back east again at the bottom. Have to wait and see.

DSCF4490.jpg

This is to connect a very large new surface parking lot on the other side of the train tracks. This will also allow them to use some of the Haymarket Park parking for extra spaces.

bridge-overhead.jpg

They are also planning on using that space as a festival space. This Journal Star article says things like Ribfest will move out there. Which I am not sure I am a fan of, but it would give them more space and parking. I just know a lot of people who like ribs and work downtown will not be happy about having it move so far from the all the office buildings.

They are also planning on using that space as a festival space. This Journal Star article says things like Ribfest will move out there. Which I am not sure I am a fan of, but it would give them more space and parking. I just know a lot of people who like ribs and work downtown will not be happy about having it move so far from the all the office buildings.

Why in the world would they move Ribfest out there? There's so little access to that area - the only way to get in there is Sun Valley Blvd, which only empties into N. 10th St/Cornhusker Highway or O Street. That's a terrible idea. Ribfest should move to that open area by The Cube, just south of the Arena. That's also where they should locate most/all of the Farmer's Market - near new parking structures, and close to ingress/egress throughout the Haymarket.

Great work again Knap! If you ever get the time and feel artsy I think a really great shot would be somewhere down the road on Vine street looking towards the stadium. I would love to do it myself but I just don't have a camera that could pull it off.

It would be a difficult shot. You'd have to do it in the Fall or Winter, after the leaves have fallen, and you'd have to try to find some kind of high ground, because there are just too many trees. There aren't any taller buildings around to take the shot from, and even if you got to the roof of a two-three story building, I think the trees around the stadium/loop would obscure it too much.

The best spot would probably be standing in the middle of the road on vine at about 45th. I know heading west on vine 48th to 33rd is the best strip of road to get a good look at the stadium.

Great work again Knap! If you ever get the time and feel artsy I think a really great shot would be somewhere down the road on Vine street looking towards the stadium. I would love to do it myself but I just don't have a camera that could pull it off.

It would be a difficult shot. You'd have to do it in the Fall or Winter, after the leaves have fallen, and you'd have to try to find some kind of high ground, because there are just too many trees. There aren't any taller buildings around to take the shot from, and even if you got to the roof of a two-three story building, I think the trees around the stadium/loop would obscure it too much.

Yeah I knew it wouldn't be easy, it's just one of those pipe dreams I've always had.

Why in the world would they move Ribfest out there? There's so little access to that area - the only way to get in there is Sun Valley Blvd, which only empties into N. 10th St/Cornhusker Highway or O Street. That's a terrible idea. Ribfest should move to that open area by The Cube, just south of the Arena. That's also where they should locate most/all of the Farmer's Market - near new parking structures, and close to ingress/egress throughout the Haymarket.

I was going to post the same thing as Vanderoh (and if you look at the video they (the City and the committee overseeing the project) released last Summer, they show some clips of a big outdoor concert going on, which is shown at the facility mentioned in the article), but got beat to the punch.

I would imagine RibFest will likely move over there because of the spacing needed and the area to the South of the arena likely not being large enough for what they want, whereas a festival space like that one would give them a lot more room. While I agree about access, you do have Sun Valley and the bridge going over to it for access from the Haymarket as well. I know past Ribfest articles have talked about how other rib vendors would like to come, but they've limited it to 6 (I think that's the right number) vendors because of limited spacing around Pershing, and the current vendors are treated so well that new openings in the lineup are relatively scarce. So I can imagine opening it up to 2, 4, 6, or however many additional participants would be seen as a big advantage for the festival. I could definitely see the complaint over lunchtime during the week about how far away it is from buildings, but if they choose to move it (and it certainly sounded like the article was listing it only as an example, and that nothing final had been decided on it), I have to believe they decided that the advantages to the new space would outweigh any disadvantages to moving it.

I could also make the argument about parking being practically impossible with it being by Pershing now, and the inconvenience the current type of setup does for those that work in that area... but again... negatives v. positives to every location out there. Have had plenty of memorable evenings with the family where it is now, that's for sure. :)

Someone needs to fill me in on when this "Ribfest" takes place. Sounds like something I need to attend.

Typically within the first couple of weekends in August each year. From Thursday through Sunday, with lots of different types of music for entertainment as well. It's fun times. Like Lyons said, probably not as glamourous as it might sound... but fun. :D

• Fire 1

Someone needs to fill me in on when this "Ribfest" takes place. Sounds like something I need to attend.

Typically within the first couple of weekends in August each year. From Thursday through Sunday, with lots of different types of music for entertainment as well. It's fun times. Like Lyons said, probably not as glamourous as it might sound... but fun. :D

Last year's, by example, was Aug. 9-12, and I think it's typically been that second full weekend of the month.

And again, to back up the point I made up above about repeat vendors... every one of the vendors listed was here last year. Only one I wasn't sure about was Willingham's, and they tied? for LJS's Best of Show. Love that they have vendors that are loyal and like the event enough to sign on year after year, but makes it tough to add new ones in a place with such limited space.