Stadium Expansion

You'll find better BBQ at Phat Jack's on 11th & Cornhusker than you will at Ribfest. Not joking. I make ribs as well as some of the vendors there, and mine really aren't anything to write home about. I've gone to Ribfest several times. It's overpriced and it's always ridiculously hot. Not sure why it's so popular.

I'm partial to Famous Dave's for the most part. But the atmosphere is fun, and I have yet to find a rib I didn't like. Lots of people go just to enjoy themselves at a different event rather than going to a restaurant or movie or other similar event that you can go to any time during the year. I'd say that's why it's popular. The ribs are good... but it's about it being an event more than anything. You (generic you, not anyone in particular) can find similar things to complain about regarding any event if you really want to. I enjoy having events like that in downtown Lincoln over the Summer when we have the time to enjoy them. Hopefully, the development of the Haymarket and nearby areas downtown will promote having even more such events in the future. Certainly looks like that's the plan from the people running the show.

Someone needs to fill me in on when this "Ribfest" takes place. Sounds like something I need to attend.

We have a bacon fest that is bigger. Drive down for the American Royal BBQ competition if you haven't before.

I'm partial to the Lenexa BBQ. It is awesome.

• Fire 1

You'll find better BBQ at Phat Jack's on 11th & Cornhusker than you will at Ribfest. Not joking. I make ribs as well as some of the vendors there, and mine really aren't anything to write home about. I've gone to Ribfest several times. It's overpriced and it's always ridiculously hot. Not sure why it's so popular.

Beer and music? I'm just guessing, since I've never been.

Yeah, it's something to do. But knapp's description is right; it's overpriced and takes place during the hottest time of the summer.

But there are funnel cakes...

Sounds like the chili cook-off out here in Bluffs. Blazing hot, no shade, and drunks does not mix well. Two years ago, my cousin's wife found a girl passed out on the ground that had crapped her pants :o

So does anyone know when they are supposed to letting season ticket holders know if they requested to move to the new section whether they are going to move or not?

I think new turf would be nice as well as improvement of the sound system but not sure how high of a priority these projects are at the moment.

So does anyone know when they are supposed to letting season ticket holders know if they requested to move to the new section whether they are going to move or not?

I think new turf would be nice as well as improvement of the sound system but not sure how high of a priority these projects are at the moment.

Hope I'm not the bearer of bad news but I got my notice right after Christmas.

I really like Texas Roadhouse, nothing like a Ribeye and half rack of ribs :D

Their steaks are too dang salty, Ribs are pretty good though. Love me some chicken fried steak with mashed taters and green beans!

The chicken fried steak is really good. The last time I ordered it they had to bring out the meat on it's own plate but that's perfect for me. lol

I was fortunate to be a judge for Ribfest in the late 90's. Not sure if they still have a competition, as I have not been back home for some years. I was also a judge for many years in the Omaha Blues, Booze and Barbecue festivals. What a great time! I got free food and beer and the only requirement was to judge the food!

We did take it seriously though. Our scores might determine which restaurants stayed in business another year and which did not. For the traveling BBQ crews, there was not much on the line, except bragging rights and a trophy or ribbon. Those were the weekend amateurs who just enjoyed the festivals and competitions. They were fierce competitors, though, and many sure could have, or should have, opened full-time BBQ joints.

Loved it. Loved the people, the food, the atmosphere.

They had a heckuva time finding judges, though. I got in because I worked in local media, a radio station in Omaha. As if that meant I knew anything about BBQ or being impartial. We did try, though, or at least I did.

You'd think it would be easy to find judges, but their standards were higher than perhaps necessary.

Also, nice work on the stadium expose'

Appreciate all the photos everyone shared!