Stadium Expansion

I was fortunate to be a judge for Ribfest in the late 90's. Not sure if they still have a competition, as I have not been back home for some years. I was also a judge for many years in the Omaha Blues, Booze and Barbecue festivals. What a great time! I got free food and beer and the only requirement was to judge the food!

We did take it seriously though. Our scores might determine which restaurants stayed in business another year and which did not. For the traveling BBQ crews, there was not much on the line, except bragging rights and a trophy or ribbon. Those were the weekend amateurs who just enjoyed the festivals and competitions. They were fierce competitors, though, and many sure could have, or should have, opened full-time BBQ joints.

Loved it. Loved the people, the food, the atmosphere.

They had a heckuva time finding judges, though. I got in because I worked in local media, a radio station in Omaha. As if that meant I knew anything about BBQ or being impartial. We did try, though, or at least I did.

You'd think it would be easy to find judges, but their standards were higher than perhaps necessary.

Also, nice work on the stadium expose'

Appreciate all the photos everyone shared!

The Journal Star's Ground Zero section still gives out a prize for Best Ribs, and I think there are 3 or 4 people doing the judging, usually Korbelik (sp?), the food guy for the paper, and a couple others, typically at least one chosen from the public. Always interesting to see what their pick is. :)

I was unaware of this ribfest. I, too, will be attending.

Honestly like others have said it's not that great, just a place to get hot and sweaty and eat some average bbq. If you go I would go on the free admission day, I think it's usually a Thursday.