Stadium Expansion

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of suites with seating in front of them

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

I did a quick google search, and picture something similar to this endzone:

800px-Kyle_Field_Montana_State_vs_A%26M_

Well, since it was brought up, I have a friend who is "in the know" as far as expansion and I chatted with him a few weeks he had some news about south stadium. I thought about bringing it up, but wasn't sure how public it was. And yes, there have been discussions with the AD and plans drawn up.

Here is what I remember from what he told me and the renderings I saw:

- move all students to south stadium below the railing (row 40?) and cut off the lower level there

- add a deck of suites with seating in front of them

- add a deck of "normal seats" above the suites

- the net result would be less seats in the stadium by a couple thousand

My argument to him was that there is no way in hell that 65 year old Fred Smith of Sutton is going to let UNL take his between the goalposts row 10 seats that "have been in his family for 60 years" away. And all of the people who are in row 40+ are now going to have seats further away from the action as they will be above the suites.

I did a quick google search, and picture something similar to this endzone:

800px-Kyle_Field_Montana_State_vs_A%26M_

Honestly, I think that would be a great idea.

If it were ever going to do something else, it would have to be something like that.

Two issues:

- I don't think there is the demand for that big of a project.

- Similar to RedFive's comment above about moving people out of their current seats (which would cause a stir but not enough to kill the project), would be the loss of seats in the transition. I can't imagine you could get that project done by September after starting the previous December. You'd have to be a bunch of seats short for a year during construction. And I'm not sure how they could get around that.

If it were ever going to do something else, it would have to be something like that.

Two issues:

- Similar to RedFive's comment above about moving people out of their current seats (which would cause a stir but not enough to kill the project), would be the loss of seats in the transition. I can't imagine you could get that project done by September after starting the previous December. You'd have to be a bunch of seats short for a year during construction. And I'm not sure how they could get around that.

What do you mean by demand? That kind of project would eliminate seats, and also eliminate worse seats. Our endzones are by far the worst part of the stadium from a practical design standpoint - both of them should have been made with upper decks from the start instead of just stretching back into infinity.

Sounds like a cool idea - that's what I've said they should do with the student section for years.

Two issues:

Forgot to comment on that. I asked him how they would be able to do it over one offseason since all the other expansions took place over 2 years. He said it was timelined to get done over 1 offseason, but prepwork (whatever that means, but I'm guessing footings and framework below south stadium) would be going on during the season.

It seems like a very tight timeline to basically tear down the whole thing and build a new one in 8 months, but construction is not my forte.

What do you mean by demand? That kind of project would eliminate seats, and also eliminate worse seats. Our endzones are by far the worst part of the stadium from a practical design standpoint - both of them should have been made with upper decks from the start instead of just stretching back into infinity.

Maybe he meant the demand for suites?

Two issues:

A&M did this. With their expansion of Kyle Field, they took one side at a time per year. Don't remember the directions exactly down there, but they renovated an end zone over a 9 month period (December - August) and no construction during the season. After the last home game this year, they got to work on the final side's renovation. All of it was completed in the off-season so as not to interfere or leave people out of seats for a season. Also, just because they are renovating, doesn't necessarily mean that they would add more distance from the field. If you make it more upright, you're not as far back as some of the row 80-90s are in the current stadium. Throw in some extra butt-room and you might have an easier sell than originally thought.

Two issues:

A&M did this. With their expansion of Kyle Field, they took one side at a time per year. Don't remember the directions exactly down there, but they renovated an end zone over a 9 month period (December - August) and no construction during the season. After the last home game this year, they got to work on the final side's renovation. All of it was completed in the off-season so as not to interfere or leave people out of seats for a season. Also, just because they are renovating, doesn't necessarily mean that they would add more distance from the field. If you make it more upright, you're not as far back as some of the row 80-90s are in the current stadium. Throw in some extra butt-room and you might have an easier sell than originally thought.

They also have much nicer weather through the winter down there. Again not a construction expert, but doesn't it need to be above 30 degrees or something to get concrete to set?

Two issues:

They also have much nicer weather through the winter down there. Again not a construction expert, but doesn't it need to be above 30 degrees or something to get concrete to set?

Oh, you might be right about that - didn't even think about the issue of weather. Not a construction expert either, so I wouldn't be able to answer that one.

It's usually 3 days of less than 40 - calcium carbonate helps mitigate this - and they have higher end mixes for cold weather applications. It's not like they don't build anything in the north right?

They could likely get a lot of the structure foundation built around the current setup with some engineering involved. 9 months, they'd make it work.

It's usually 3 days of less than 40 - calcium carbonate helps mitigate this - and they have higher end mixes for cold weather applications. It's not like they don't build anything in the north right?

They could likely get a lot of the structure foundation built around the current setup with some engineering involved. 9 months, they'd make it work.

Everyone in north lives in igloos and sod houses. Read a book ;)

Two issues:

Sounds like a cool idea - that's what I've said they should do with the student section for years.

Yes, because in 1964 skyboxes where a big hit!

Two issues:

Yes, because in 1964 skyboxes where a big hit!

upper decks and skyboxes are not the same thing.