Bo Pelini Arrogance?

Not to be rude here but Knapplc why are you so quick to shut people down that post about outsider opinions? I'm always curious about our national perception.

Because there's an impression that people are surprised that their local beat writers or radio guys or whomever aren't just giddy with love over Nebraska. It's like going to an away game and being surprised that the opponent's fans cheer loudly. I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls or anything, but we know how people from other locations feel about us, don't we? Especially people from Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, etc? I don't understand the shock these things evince in people.

I am never shocked about what they say. But it is fun to bring that stuff here to this message board and discuss it. Which is what you do on a message board.

I anticipate your "It's morning - and the sun rose in the East!" thread with bated breath. There are just some things that are so obvious that we don't really have to discuss them, you know? The number of "Oh my gosh, look what non-Husker fans from _____ just said about us!!!" threads has ramped up considerably since we announced the Big 10 move, and every single one of them is the same. I suppose instead of commenting about the obviousness of such threads I could just merge them all into one giant thread, if you prefer.

Not to be rude here but Knapplc why are you so quick to shut people down that post about outsider opinions? I'm always curious about our national perception.

Because there's an impression that people are surprised that their local beat writers or radio guys or whomever aren't just giddy with love over Nebraska. It's like going to an away game and being surprised that the opponent's fans cheer loudly. I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls or anything, but we know how people from other locations feel about us, don't we? Especially people from Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, etc? I don't understand the shock these things evince in people.

I guess I just never saw "arrogant" coming. Cry-baby i could see them saying...i know their whole intention is just to drum up hate for us but it wasn't the fact that they were hating on us it was just their choice of labels for Bo. Just seeing if anyone else saw something in Bo I didn't.

I am never shocked about what they say. But it is fun to bring that stuff here to this message board and discuss it. Which is what you do on a message board.

I anticipate your "It's morning - and the sun rose in the East!" thread with bated breath. There are just some things that are so obvious that we don't really have to discuss them, you know? The number of "Oh my gosh, look what non-Husker fans from _____ just said about us!!!" threads has ramped up considerably since we announced the Big 10 move, and every single one of them is the same. I suppose instead of commenting about the obviousness of such threads I could just merge them all into one giant thread, if you prefer.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing things but Mod status seems to have changed your "respect" for other people's comments. I wasn't trying to start a whiny thread...ah just read above...

He is arrogant and at times kind of a prick. If he wasn’t winning this would be more of an issue but as it stands it can be overlooked because of the W’s. IMO

In my opinion this statment is completely false. I for one can't see any other coach right now that would fit Nebraska better. Maybe it is how I was raised, area, work ethic, respecting others and so on. I think he has high standards for himself and our whole state. I would want nothing less.

So the times that he is a complete butt to the media (for doing their jobs) is being respectful towards others? Just wondering.

I still stand by that if he wasn’t as successful as he has been his attitude towards certain things wouldn’t fly around here. FWIW: That has nothing to do with the way I was raised either, that is just the way the coaching world works.

The media is there to write stories and make something out of nothing to sell. They would love nothing else but for the players and the coaches fall flat on their faces, because it would be a huge story for them. It is nothing personal, it is their job you are correct, but it is also Bo's job to protect his players and the program and I think that's VERY repectful. To answer your question yes.

No way the local media here in KC there are a few guys (usually missouri, ku, ksu alumns) that you absolutely hear the hate and bitterness in their voice. It's rather pathetic. I still listen because I'd rather hear them hate on us then listen to baseball playoff updates.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing things but Mod status seems to have changed your "respect" for other people's comments. I wasn't trying to start a whiny thread...ah just read above...

You're right, being voted a Mod has changed my tone, quite a bit. I used to bust a LOT more balls before I started representing HuskerBoard with every post.

If you'd like, I can go back to ball-busting. It was quite fun. :)

Arrogance would mean he thinks we are better than everyone else. From what I have observed he is anything but that. He is always striving for better out of the team and I cant think of a time where he demeaned an opposing team. Anyone thinking he is arrogant is just a false perception and it likely comes from an inferiority complex that has been developed due to DECADES of beat downs by the hicks from Lincoln, now that we have proven that our 7 "down" years were a mere blip on the radar look for the haters to come out of the woodwork.

edit: Also, Bill Callahan didn't get fired because he was smug or arrogant. He got fired because he lost. If Bo loses, nobody is going to care about how arrogant he was, and if he were super nice all the time, nobody would give him any more loyalty then they would have Callahan after losing 5 or 6 games. They're measured by wins and losses alone.

So are you saying that if Billy C would have been more successful Husker fans would have been able to look past his smug, arrogant, pompous attitude? If so that is what I am saying as well about why Bo is viewed the way he is.

Sort of, but that's not my point. I'm saying that being smug or arrogant is irrelevant. They could have been the nicest guys in the world, but if they lost, they still would have been fired. Billy C would have been more successful if he had been more successful. If he was winning 10 games a year, he'd still be our coach. It has nothing to do with his attitude.

You're right, being voted a Mod has changed my tone, quite a bit. I used to bust a LOT more balls before I started representing HuskerBoard with every post.

If you'd like, I can go back to ball-busting. It was quite fun. :)

There's the knapplc i'm used to. Maybe I was just a little pissy about the radio announcer. You know what they say about poor attitudes being contagious.