The Future of Taylor Martinez

To me he looks like the fastest offensive player in the game this season. He's flat out running D-1 corners and safeties. That's pretty rare.

Did anyone else hear ol' Herbstreit on ESPN do the piece comparing Martinez and Denard Robinson? "I would give Denard Robinson more of an advantage, once he gets through that second level of a defense he's not going to be caught from behind."

Herbie....

picard-facepalm.jpg

Link to video (on right side) Herbie: Comparing Martinez with Robinson http://espn.go.com/c...ska-cornhuskers

Herbstreit says he would put Darron Thomas (of Oregon) ahead of both Martinez and Robinson. I'd post the double face palm pic but you get the picture.

What is wrong with what he said? It is true that when Denard gets through the 2nd level, he will not be caught from behind.

What is wrong with what he said??? I've seen both of these guys play. Martinez is easily the most explosive quarterback running wise in all of college football. I've seen Robinson get caught from behind several times this season on break away runs. Martinez? Umm, the guy flat out outruns entire defenses. Implying that only Robinson won't get caught from behind once he reaches the second level is flat out ridiculous.

Really? Because KSU caught T-Mart from behind on a breakaway run on Thursday. I thought for sure he was going to score, but he ran out of gas and got caught.

Texass looked fast against UCLA. They were very fast at running after the QB and running backs as they scored. KSU beat a bad UCLA team. UCLA was slapped by CAL this weekend.(Cal is just so so) UCLA is a bad, bad team and KSU handled their pistol and beat them easily. Texass, not so much. Texass doesn't have the players in the trenches. Their O line is not very good, meaning no running game at all. They will have to throw into the strength of the defense. Their D line won't be able to dominate our O line like in our previous meetings. Bo will do all he can to drop 50 on Texass.

NCAA rankings for Texas defense:

Rushing 104.0 (19)

Passing 150.2 (T-8)

Total 254.2 (6)

Scoring 20.0 (36)

I'd say UT's defense is better than decent and even call them pretty darn good. Best D we've played so far by a big margin (Idaho has the best we've played so far ranked 63 against the run and in the 25-35 in other stats). I'm just saying we'll see how Martinez looks against a much better defense and be able to say whether he's just been putting up ridiculous numbers because of the opponents.

EDIT: I should have left my post you were replying to in there. The main point I made: "I have a feeling Martinez won't look nearly as fast against Texas. Let's wait for an opponent with a decent defense and some speed."

To me he looks like the fastest offensive player in the game this season. He's flat out running D-1 corners and safeties. That's pretty rare.

Did anyone else hear ol' Herbstreit on ESPN do the piece comparing Martinez and Denard Robinson? "I would give Denard Robinson more of an advantage, once he gets through that second level of a defense he's not going to be caught from behind."

Herbie....

picard-facepalm.jpg

Link to video (on right side) Herbie: Comparing Martinez with Robinson http://espn.go.com/c...ska-cornhuskers

Herbstreit says he would put Darron Thomas (of Oregon) ahead of both Martinez and Robinson. I'd post the double face palm pic but you get the picture.

What is wrong with what he said? It is true that when Denard gets through the 2nd level, he will not be caught from behind.

What is wrong with what he said??? I've seen both of these guys play. Martinez is easily the most explosive quarterback running wise in all of college football. I've seen Robinson get caught from behind several times this season on break away runs. Martinez? Umm, the guy flat out outruns entire defenses. Implying that only Robinson won't get caught from behind once he reaches the second level is flat out ridiculous.

Really? Because KSU caught T-Mart from behind on a breakaway run on Thursday. I thought for sure he was going to score, but he ran out of gas and got caught.

hahaha. How silly of me. You're right. I must have been watching a different game. My bad.

PFVDVZJCIRQXXKY.20101008041012.jpg

PZGCCBXZKWTUVEU.20101008045002.JPG

hahaha. How silly of me. You're right. I must have been watching a different game. My bad.

<pics>

Martinez had a run at the end of the first half where he went for 56 yards and was caught around the KSU 30 yard line. Drive ended in a FG. I think that's the play being referred to here. And yes, the defender had an angle, but that's the way most players are caught when they're running down the sideline. D Robinson hasn't been straight up caught from behind this season just like Martinez, but both have been caught by taking good angles.

<pics>

Martinez had a run at the end of the first half where he went for 56 yards and was caught around the KSU 30 yard line. Drive ended in a FG. I think that's the play being referred to here. And yes, the defender had an angle, but that's the way most players are caught when they're running down the sideline. D Robinson hasn't been straight up caught from behind this season just like Martinez, but both have been caught by taking good angles.

Taylor Martinez is the fastest quarterback in all of division 1 football. If others don't agree then that's fine by me. If Herbstreit (my point originally...) feels that mentioning only Robinson will not get caught once he has reached the second level and/or open field then sorry...won't agree with that.

Taylor Martinez is the fastest quarterback in all of division 1 football. If others don't agree then that's fine by me. If Herbstreit (my point originally...) feels that mentioning only Robinson will not get caught once he has reached the second level and/or open field then sorry...won't agree with that.

Okay, gotcha. I agree with your original point, no reason to argue over whether TM is THE fastest since no way to objectively compare.

Why would Herbie say that? There's a bunch of QB's in the NCAA that are quite fast. The Northwestern QB comes to mind.

His acceleration rating in NCAA '12 is already a 96, and that's what makes him so quick.

His top speed is good, but it's not the greatest thing you've ever seen, I've most definitely seen people have a faster top speed. What sets Taylor apart is his burst, his first step, his acceleration, whatever you want to call it. He goes from standing still to full speed in, honestly, about one and a half steps.

• Fire 1

His acceleration rating in NCAA '12 is already a 96, and that's what makes him so quick.

His top speed is good, but it's not the greatest thing you've ever seen, I've most definitely seen people have a faster top speed. What sets Taylor apart is his burst, his first step, his acceleration, whatever you want to call it. He goes from standing still to full speed in, honestly, about one and a half steps.

How many freshmen do you see with his speed though?

He'll only get faster with 3 more years of off season training.

Herbie....

picard-facepalm.jpg

He got caught because they had the angle on him. Not because he ran out of gas.

Sometimes it doesn't even look like Taylor is running that hard. I don't know if that's his running style or not, but he definitely looks like he could run faster sometimes.

He definitely slows down as he gets to the goal line. That may come back to bite him one of these days. Always run hard all the way into the endzone.

Are you saying you haven't seen Martinez chased down? It happened in the KSU game and in the WKU game, just off the top of my head.

C'mon, when defenders have angles it can deny even the fastest of players. But if it is a straight footrace where Robinson or Martinez break through defenses, neither of those guys are being caught, which is why arguing the difference in their dynamic running ability is just silly. Both are incredible running QBs with outstanding speed.