Dejon Gomes at LB?

Ok, I know I'm late getting to this but I'm watching the K-state game right now getting amped for tomorrow. I'm noticing that Gomes is lined up alongside David at LB, with Prince and Dennard covering the outside receivers, Hagg covering the slot/TE and PJ smith and Thenarse at safety. Anyone else notice this? They are also running Prince on corner run-support blitzes and leaving safety help behind.

Sounds like that could be our Dime package, rather than Dejon being a LB over Whaley/Martin. I guess with the way we do positions on defense, who knows.

I thought the same thing, but we're talking 1TE 2RB 2WR sets. Not exactly typical Dime package material. I think what this really tells us is that they are VERY committed to stopping the big play. And, hey, if it works against a back like Thomas, more power to them.

Sounds like that could be our Dime package, rather than Dejon being a LB over Whaley/Martin. I guess with the way we do positions on defense, who knows.

I thought the same thing, but we're talking 1TE 2RB 2WR sets. Not exactly typical Dime package material. I think what this really tells us is that they are VERY committed to stopping the big play. And, hey, if it works against a back like Thomas, more power to them.

Yeah, we have a bit of an unconventional defense. There's the peso for one thing, as a base look instead of 3 linebackers. With Compton and Fisher out, I think this is the coaches saying, "Our best 11 guys means 3 safeties and 1 linebacker." A bit of an indictment on the progress of Whaley/Martin, I suppose, but when it's between Whaley/Martin or PJ Smith on the field, I can see you going PJ. So just like last year, we may be sitting in the dime most of the time, regardless of the offensive look - just because that puts our best eleven defenders on the field.