Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

I don't really understand the complaining. Whether or not you agree with the rule is another discussion for another day. But the rule is in place and this is how it is being interpreted in light of recent concussion concerns.

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

The fact is, even though it seemed to be a clean shoulder hit from the far angle, the angle from behind Martin showed very clear evidence that the crown of the helmet did the brunt of the damage. Whether or not it was intentional isn't the issue. I agree the announcers harped on it too much. I certainly don't buy into any conspiracy that the Big 12 is trying to get back on us or make us lose the North. If anything they are giving in to the outside pressure to be stern in punishing helmet-to-helmet hits.

Just a question:

How do you lead with the shoulder without going sideways? Running at someone at full speed your head is always going to get there first. Martin's problem is that he went into Hudson with his head down and that is always going to get called when the refs see it.

But a suspension here is totally unwarranted. This wasn't a receiver jumping for a ball across the middle or the kicker getting blindsided. There was definitely more intent in the guy swinging at Martinez' head.

Helmet-to-helmet contact, sure, but can anyone honestly watch that and say he led with his crown?? There was incidental helmet contact as a result of the shear force of a beast like Martin absolutely smashing into a gangly, pre-injured special teams kid that wasn't paying attention. If anyone should be suspended its Thenarse.

I think Martin should sport a BigTen shirt on the sidelines on Saturday.

:throwdabones1:

• Fire 1