Big 12 suspends Eric Martin for one game

Nexus

Blackmon gets a DUI and is speeding 32 miles per hour over the limit and gets one game. A CLEAR violation of not the Big 12 rules, but the law. I think Beebe needs to stick his meddlesome nose in this as well.

No-it wasn't a DUI. Read the story again. It may have been crooked (I have my suspicions), but he was not charged with DUI.

Denton County assistant district attorney Jamie Beck said the DUI charge is a Class C misdemeanor, "like a traffic ticket." She said it's a fine-only offense and that Blackmon could be fined up to $500 in city court.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5729979

Their terms are different. He could sent in $375 and it would be over.

That's not a DUI by and standards that I've ever seen.

I believe DUI and DWI are different. You can get a DUI if you are on prescription meds or driving home from the dentist still high. Any drug/substance that can impair your driving... I think. DWI is over .08 BAC.... I think.

I believe DUI and DWI are different. You can get a DUI if you are on prescription meds or driving home from the dentist still high. Any drug/substance that can impair your driving... I think. DWI is over .08 BAC.... I think.

i actually think they are the same. different states have different statutes and use different terms, but i am pretty sure dui and dwi are the same, just called by different names.

i used to think they were different as well. like one was less severe than the other, but it is just the preference of what the state wants to call it.

here is a link if you really care: you should not drive drunk

Blackmon gets a DUI and is speeding 32 miles per hour over the limit and gets one game. A CLEAR violation of not the Big 12 rules, but the law. I think Beebe needs to stick his meddlesome nose in this as well.

No-it wasn't a DUI. Read the story again. It may have been crooked (I have my suspicions), but he was not charged with DUI.

In Texas, if you're a minor and you've been drinking --at all-- it's a DUI.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/20203/osu-nebraska-face-player-suspensions

i actually think they are the same. different states have different statutes and use different terms, but i am pretty sure dui and dwi are the same, just called by different names.

i used to think they were different as well. like one was less severe than the other, but it is just the preference of what the state wants to call it.

According to the interwebs, they are differentiated in most states, with DUI being a lesser charge. I didn't look up Oklahoma.

DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence. DWI stands for either Driving While Intoxicated or Driving While Impaired. Another term that is sometimes used is Operating While Impaired (OWI). All these terms relate to driving after consuming alcohol or drugs. The drugs don't have to be illegal for a DUI to be issued - they can be illegal narcotics, over the counter medication, or prescribed medication. Depending upon the state where you live, the severity of the offense may vary.

In some states, the drunk driving laws differentiate between a DUI and a DWI, where the DUI is a lesser charge. In these states, a DUI usually signifies a lesser degree of intoxication, which is determined by a person's blood alcohol level at the time of arrest. Sometimes, states will allow the charges of a DWI to be reduced to a DUI. In the case of a reduction from a DWI to a DUI, certain conditions typically must be met, such as the incident being a first offense, the defendant’s display of remorse for the action, and a blood alcohol level that was not drastically over the legal limit. For example, the state of New York differentiates between DWI and DUI by establishing a blood alcohol level of .08 as the legal limit for DWI. If a person has a blood alcohol level of .07, the charges may be reduced to a DUI, which carries a lesser punishment.

DWI Sobriety test

Some states (like Virginia and New Jersey) do not recognize any difference between a DUI and a DWI. As far as the laws of these states are concerned, any blood alcohol level over the specified limit is a crime that will be punished in the same manner.

In Minnesota, on the other hand, there is technically no such thing as a DUI because they only use the term DWI.

In some states, the terms DUI and DWI are used to indicate whether a person was driving impaired under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In this case, DUI is reserved for illegal drugs.

The distinction for the federal government is drawn based on severity. A DWI is issued when the blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the 0.08 limit, whereas a DUI is a less severe term, given when a persons BAC is under 0.08.

Read more: DUI vs DWI - Difference and Comparison | Diffen http://www.diffen.com/difference/DUI_vs_DWI#ixzz13cxgZWQL

According to the interwebs, they are differentiated in most states, with DUI being a lesser charge. I didn't look up Oklahoma.

DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence. DWI stands for either Driving While Intoxicated or Driving While Impaired. Another term that is sometimes used is Operating While Impaired (OWI). All these terms relate to driving after consuming alcohol or drugs. The drugs don't have to be illegal for a DUI to be issued - they can be illegal narcotics, over the counter medication, or prescribed medication. Depending upon the state where you live, the severity of the offense may vary.

In some states, the drunk driving laws differentiate between a DUI and a DWI, where the DUI is a lesser charge. In these states, a DUI usually signifies a lesser degree of intoxication, which is determined by a person's blood alcohol level at the time of arrest. Sometimes, states will allow the charges of a DWI to be reduced to a DUI. In the case of a reduction from a DWI to a DUI, certain conditions typically must be met, such as the incident being a first offense, the defendant’s display of remorse for the action, and a blood alcohol level that was not drastically over the legal limit. For example, the state of New York differentiates between DWI and DUI by establishing a blood alcohol level of .08 as the legal limit for DWI. If a person has a blood alcohol level of .07, the charges may be reduced to a DUI, which carries a lesser punishment.

DWI Sobriety test

Some states (like Virginia and New Jersey) do not recognize any difference between a DUI and a DWI. As far as the laws of these states are concerned, any blood alcohol level over the specified limit is a crime that will be punished in the same manner.

In Minnesota, on the other hand, there is technically no such thing as a DUI because they only use the term DWI.

In some states, the terms DUI and DWI are used to indicate whether a person was driving impaired under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In this case, DUI is reserved for illegal drugs.

The distinction for the federal government is drawn based on severity. A DWI is issued when the blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the 0.08 limit, whereas a DUI is a less severe term, given when a persons BAC is under 0.08.

Read more: DUI vs DWI - Difference and Comparison | Diffen http://www.diffen.com/difference/DUI_vs_DWI#ixzz13cxgZWQL

i am a little confused. it is just a matter of semantics? i guess if it is different in every state, some may use just one, some may use them interchangeably, some may use both for different reasons.

what a joke huskers are getting suspended for hitting people too hard on the field. while Okie receivers are getting dewies and attending pro football games(probably given tickets by an agent) a clear NCAA violation. Beebe is a joke and im glad we are leaving the Big 12 because it will go downhill once Nebraska leaves. Big twelve north has been fading for years and once nebraska leaves it almost non existent. Good luck big twelve you will turn into the Big east very soon.

what a joke huskers are getting suspended for hitting people too hard on the field. while Okie receivers are getting dewies and attending pro football games(probably given tickets by an agent) a clear NCAA violation. Beebe is a joke and im glad we are leaving the Big 12 because it will go downhill once Nebraska leaves. Big twelve north has been fading for years and once nebraska leaves it almost non existent. Good luck big twelve you will turn into the Big east very soon.

to be fair, when NU leaves, the north will be completely non-existent.

i am a little confused. it is just a matter of semantics? i guess if it is different in every state, some may use just one, some may use them interchangeably, some may use both for different reasons.

That site listed three states where it is just semantics. The majority of states, according to my exhaustive research of that one website have two different charges depending on how drunk you are. I am making an educated guess that Oklahoma has both DUI and DWI. DUI is not over the legal limit, but the driver was not driving well. If you are really tired and had a beer and drove somewhere, got pulled over for swerving due to being tired, you could be charged for DUI because you drank a beer. You can't be charged with DWI because you are under the limit.... I think.

When my brother was going through a divorce, he got both a DUI and a DWI. He got fired for the DUI. Being fired and divorced lead to a DWI and a night in jail and a lot of lawyer money. Not the brightest time in the history of my bro.

That site listed three states where it is just semantics. The majority of states, according to my exhaustive research of that one website have two different charges depending on how drunk you are. I am making an educated guess that Oklahoma has both DUI and DWI. DUI is not over the legal limit, but the driver was not driving well. If you are really tired and had a beer and drove somewhere, got pulled over for swerving due to being tired, you could be charged for DUI because you drank a beer. You can't be charged with DWI because you are under the limit.... I think.

When my brother was going through a divorce, he got both a DUI and a DWI. He got fired for the DUI. Being fired and divorced lead to a DWI and a night in jail and a lot of lawyer money. Not the brightest time in the history of my bro.

i lol'd at your 'exhaustive research of one website'.

thanks, that makes sense.

same to you wchusker.

Take one guess on who the happiest Husker fan was when Martin's suspension was announced.

Look dikhead, I knew that it was a very good possibility given the recent outrage over any headshots. If you look at my original post, all I was doing was asking a question.

My gut told me that there was a pretty good chance that it was coming, and yes-he put the top of his helmet into the lower left side of the OSU players' facemask & that snappen his head back in a nasty way. It probably should have been flagged. Suspension? Uhhhhh, maybe-maybe not. Tough call.

You're just butthurt because your know it all attitude got beat down by the Big Texasss's decision.

Looks like Martin isn't the only one getting a suspension......see ya next week

Take one guess on who the happiest Husker fan was when Martin's suspension was announced.

Look dikhead, I knew that it was a very good possibility given the recent outrage over any headshots. If you look at my original post, all I was doing was asking a question.

My gut told me that there was a pretty good chance that it was coming, and yes-he put the top of his helmet into the lower left side of the OSU players' facemask & that snappen his head back in a nasty way. It probably should have been flagged. Suspension? Uhhhhh, maybe-maybe not. Tough call.

You're just butthurt because your know it all attitude got beat down by the Big Texasss's decision.

Looks like Martin isn't the only one getting a suspension......see ya next week

That comment wasn't a flagrant violation! It was incidental... and stuff

• Fire 2