PC vs. MAC

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What say you, Huskerboard?

I prefer desktop PCs, mainly because it's what I'm most experienced with, they are FAR more customizable (I go down to the fine detail), and because you usually get better computing power for a cheaper price.

As far as laptops are concerned, I want a MAC again. MACs have a much better battery life, admittedly have fewer virus issues, and they make my editing on Adobe Suite much easier!!!

But, I digress. What do you prefer and why do you prefer it?

I only have limited experience with Macs, so I'm admittedly not the best person to offer an opinion. Having said that, some of the advantages (to me) for the PC is the wider range of software, including specifically games, and hardware, which makes it far easier to get exactly what you want in terms of hardware. Also, and as Rawhide noted, you seem to get more bang for the buck in terms of hardware. Conversely, however, the tight control over the hardware and software by Apple does help to ensure far fewer conflicts and issues that arise in the PC environment.

It's kinda like the argument between Linux and Windows. I like both of them. In Linux, I love the degree of control. I can actually create my own Linux build that is optomized for my hardware. If you really understand Linux, you can make the OS do just about anything. But like the PC v. Mac, that degree of open design means that you end up with far more conflicts and issues with software and hardware - drivers, poorly written code, etc. Still, it's fun to play with, and I'm always trying various distros for fun. Conversely, the Windows environment is far more controlled, which helps to ensure that hardware support is better, that there is less code conflict, etc. In Windows, a lot of everyday tasks are easier than in Linux for the average user. And since I develop in Windows-based tools, I end up spending far more time in Windows.

Ultimately, it's what works best for you, what your skill level is, and what your needs are. For the average user, I would think a Mac would be an excellent choice - less headaches - unless they have a particular need for a PC, such as broader hardware and software. If you like to upgrade, or if you're a power user or gamer, I would think a PC with Windows would be best.

If you can, try both of them out. If you use Windows at work or school, and you're really familiar with it, see if you can find someone that will lend you a Mac they aren't using, and make yourself use it for a month or two, or you'll end up with a PC just because you are already familiar with it. Then, select the one you prefer.

Ultimately, it's what works best for you, what your skill level is, and what your needs are.

This. There's no right answer here, and I like both.

I will say, however, that Apple's stuff is absurdly overpriced. It's more durable/dependable, admittedly, but that small addition doesn't come even CLOSE to justifying their prices. Here's a nice little diagram to help prove my point, sorry it's a bit big:

whynottobuyamac.png