The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

I don't know if it's really a jackpot, I think if I was a player I would take more of the Pau Gasol route and sacrifice some money to play on a championship contender. (Couldn't think of NFL example off the top of my head)

This deal just eats up the salary cap of a team that needs some offensive weapons IMO. I think I would have gone to a team like Cincinnati, for example. Indianapolis would have been nice too but that he might not get paid close to what he is worth...hard to balance Money vs championship.

I don't know if it's really a jackpot, I think if I was a player I would take more of the Pau Gasol route and sacrifice some money to play on a championship contender. (Couldn't think of NFL example off the top of my head)

This deal just eats up the salary cap of a team that needs some offensive weapons IMO. I think I would have gone to a team like Cincinnati, for example. Indianapolis would have been nice too but that he might not get paid close to what he is worth...hard to balance Money vs championship.

I think you do that in your last contract...which I suppose this could be for him.

But I am of the thinking that you grab as much as you can...when you can.

The cap, for Miami, isn't going to be as big of an issue as some might think (especially for the first two years of the contract). Take the example from overthecap.com.

"In my proposed contract with the Dolphins Suh will receive a $32 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary for a first year salary of $33 million. In year two Suh would receive a $6 million option bonus and $5 million salary. The first two years would be fully guaranteed and figure year 3 is injury guaranteed. Here is how the contract would look:"

atCE3d3.jpg

morris-feature-suh-3.png?w=1024

NFL FREE AGENCY 2:38 PM MAR 11, 2015
Ndamukong Suh Is Cursed By BENJAMIN MORRIS
With one splashy signing, the Miami Dolphins became nominal winners of one of the most anticipated bidding contests in the history of NFL free agency (for a non-quarterback). Their prize: The Detroit Lions’ three-time first-team All-Pro defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh — and $114 million in contract liability. Of that, $60 million is guaranteed, a non-QB record.
While big-time free agent signings are exciting, they don’t often end well.1 Players frequently regress to the mean or turn out to be less valuable in new circumstances. But even if Suh turns out to be as good in Miami as he has seemed to be in Detroit — which is far from certain — it’s unclear whether this could ever be a good deal for the Dolphins. With both a hard salary cap and salary floor, an NFL team doesn’t win by paying players exactly what they’re worth — it wins by paying them far less than they’re worth.
LINK

Pretty good discussion of whether Miami overpaid for Suh, or not.

• Fire 1

Why are they graphing guaranteed money of the total deal as a % of a single year's salary cap?

$60M demonstrates a significant long term commitment to Suh, but that is spread out over multiple years. The guys who have much less guaranteed money - that is to say, everybody - probably do not have something like, "The first three years of this contract's salaries are fully guaranteed." So that doesn't mean they are that much less onerous against the cap; it simply means their teams have an easier path to cut them -- or say, decline an option if they decide after a couple years that the guy isn't a $10M player anymore. And I am not sure, but perhaps these fully guaranteed years are more of a recent trend in NFL contracts?

As a percentage of the cap, Suh's year 1 cap hit is probably still unprecedented. I don't expect (hope!) the Dolphins will become great as a result of this deal, but then again, I don't think they were going to get there without it, either.

I don't expect (hope!) the Dolphins will become great as a result of this deal, but then again, I don't think they were going to get there without it, either.

Yeah, I thought this was a good quote from the article:

an NFL team doesn’t win by paying players exactly what they’re worth — it wins by paying them far less than they’re worth.

Bill Belichick agrees with this.