The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

Overrated-underrated: Sue me, Lions fans, but Suh is more hype than bite

By Pete Prisco | Senior NFL Columnist, June 19, 2012 9:54 AM ET

No, the pick this year for the league's most overrated player is Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. I know he has a ton of potential and was a force as a rookie in 2010, but he spent 2011 getting blocked.

He is an ultra-aggressive defensive tackle who uses his ability to get off the ball to drive up the field. But what teams did in 2011 was use that against him. He was trapped a lot. Often guards and centers would just let him rush up the field and take him where his momentum led him -- which was out of the play.

He was much easier to block in 2011 than as a rookie. I expect he will bounce back in 2012 with a brush-up of his techniques, but as of right now he is my pick as the most overrated player in the NFL.

LINK

He makes a good point about Suh being easier to block last season than he was back in his rookie year. But most overrated in the NFL? WTF?? That is such a load of crap. WHen teams play the Lions they gameplan their offense around containing (or avoiding) Suh. The only explanation I can think of for this hatchet job article is that the author, Pete Prisco, is a clueless douchenozzle--or he has an axe to grind. Or maybe both.

What sucks is, they write these ridiculous articles specifically so people like us will have that WTF?!?! reaction, and it works. I fall prey to it, and tens of thousands of fans of all teams all across the country do, too. Some guys make their whole career off articles like this.

Overrated-underrated: Sue me, Lions fans, but Suh is more hype than bite

By Pete Prisco | Senior NFL Columnist, June 19, 2012 9:54 AM ET

No, the pick this year for the league's most overrated player is Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. I know he has a ton of potential and was a force as a rookie in 2010, but he spent 2011 getting blocked.

He is an ultra-aggressive defensive tackle who uses his ability to get off the ball to drive up the field. But what teams did in 2011 was use that against him. He was trapped a lot. Often guards and centers would just let him rush up the field and take him where his momentum led him -- which was out of the play.

He was much easier to block in 2011 than as a rookie. I expect he will bounce back in 2012 with a brush-up of his techniques, but as of right now he is my pick as the most overrated player in the NFL.

LINK

He makes a good point about Suh being easier to block last season than he was back in his rookie year. But most overrated in the NFL? WTF?? That is such a load of crap. WHen teams play the Lions they gameplan their offense around containing (or avoiding) Suh. The only explanation I can think of for this hatchet job article is that the author, Pete Prisco, is a clueless douchenozzle--or he has an axe to grind. Or maybe both.

I read something the other day that they were thinking about moving Suh around on the line to give him more opportunities to make plays. I'll see if I can't find it. The Lions coaches don't seem to think he's overhyped.

Found it: http://www.freep.com/article/20120605/SPORTS01/120605026/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions

Edited by GSG5545

What sucks is, they write these ridiculous articles specifically so people like us will have that WTF?!?! reaction, and it works. I fall prey to it, and tens of thousands of fans of all teams all across the country do, too. Some guys make their whole career off articles like this.

This exactly. Like the b***h at the Holiday bowl a couple years ago jumping Pelini for not letting a Marine call a play or whatever, when we're behind :dunno

She got her hame out there tho, regardless of the facts.

• Fire 1

This exactly. Like the b***h at the Holiday bowl a couple years ago jumping Pelini for not letting a Marine call a play or whatever, when we're behind :dunno

She writes crap like that all the time. She's the female version of Jason Whitlock.

+1

Great example. And we all jumped on it. I knew it was a troll piece, yet I gave her a page impression, too. I hate knowing I'm being trolled and still falling for it.

Would you even notice or disagree with a story like this if the subject wasn't from Nebraska?

When ESPN rides the Jim Tressell Tattoo Scandal, do you think "whoa...why does ESPN hate Ohio State so much?

For most other schools, yes. For this specific example, since I've been a "regular" at one of their message boards for quite a while, no.

For any other school/scandal, though, you are correct. But, of course, that's why the national writers write stories about many, many teams that generate this kind of friction - it acquires them page views from all over the place.

Would you even notice or disagree with a story like this if the subject wasn't from Nebraska?

Of course I have a little bias—which I believe is what you’re trying to get at. Don’t all college football fans follow the players from their team when they make it to the NFL? But I don’t think it's my NU bias speaking when I say that Ndamukong Suh is NOT the most overrated NFL player. Heck, he led in the Pro-Bowl voting among NFL tackles for most of last season—right up until Thanksgiving weekend when Suh did that fake pro-wresting stomp on Green Bay’s Deitrich-Smith. I think most NFL fans would agree that Suh isn't the *most* overrated. That's just pretty much a crock of sh#t. It's just an attention getting column by some hack writer who is too lazy to find real news to report.

When ESPN rides the Jim Tressell Tattoo Scandal, do you think "whoa...why does ESPN hate Ohio State so much?

The tOSU thing is a bit different. It involved a bunch of players, and coaches, from the team. It was a serious enough situation that it resulted in ncaa sanctions, post-season prohibition, and it eventually got the head coach fired. Still, I don't recall espn ever coming out and saying that Tressell was bad at coaching, or overrated, because of the tattoo scandal. And the tOSU scandal also differs from Suh inasmuch as Suh's transgressions involved a handful of plays over two seasons (with most of the flack coming over the fake pro-wrestling stomp), not multiple players and coaches.

And as for the tattoo scandal itself, I've said a number of times that tOSU got the shaft. I don't care much for the Bucknuts. But that doesn't change the fact that they got screwed big time over a fairly minor incident.

Wait. When did we start calling Suh's arm stomp "fake pro wrestling?"

Suh isn't overrated, but he did get overexposed early in his NFL career. An amazing amount of publicity for a rookie defensive player on a losing franchise. We liked the publicity because we liked Suh and it felt good for Nebraska, but the overexposure set him up for sniping, then Suh handed it to the press by doing a bunch of stupid things.

No one to blame but himself.

Which doesn't excuse all the hack writing out there. It's possible we all take sports a little too seriously.

He got multiple major commercial endorsements. His face was everywhere. Extremely rare for a rookie defensive player. Not saying he didn't earn his rep on the football field, just saying he created his own noteriety. Then when he behaved badly -- and he really did, hurting his team -- it was set up to backfire on him.

• 3 weeks later...

rn_ndamukongsuh_ms_300.jpg

Suh, the No. 2 overall pick by the Lions in 2010 out of Nebraska and an All-Pro as a rookie, urged the young players to get to know each other, because they're likely to meet again at higher levels of football.

"It's about the kids," Suh said, "seeing them grow and blossom. I understand exactly what they're going through. They're in a great position right now to learn and compete."LINK