The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

"The Lions had a balanced offense with Kevin Smith and Jahvid Best combining for 99 yards rushing and a Suh-led defense that made McNabb uncomfortable from a stumbling start to a benching finish".

Love seeing Suh stuff....a Suh-led defense! Kinda cool how the lions go from horrible last year to actually winning games this year. I know it's not all because of Suh, but I'd lime to think so.

NFL locker rooms often are literally divided into two factions with one rule: One does not talk about the other.

But that didn't matter in the Lions' locker room at Ford Field on Sunday after their 37-25 victory over Washington.All anyone wanted to talk about was the Lions' defensive line. Offense, defense, special teams, water boy -- anyone asked was ready to give an opinion about the stellar play and seven sacks the revamped unit produced.

Even receiver Calvin Johnson, who had a career-best three touchdown catches, offered his unsolicited praise of the defensive line while he was explaining the difference that allowed the team to rally from a five-point deficit midway through the fourth quarter.

"We've got a fresh, new team," Johnson said. "We've got different motors out here."

Johnson paused for a second and chuckled.

"And we've got a hell of a defensive line, you know?" he said. "A lot of the reasons we are where we are is because they're out there causing a lot of havoc, getting pressure on the quarterback."

And there was one player who especially wreaked havoc. Rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had another monster game with two sacks and a fumble recovery he returned for a 17-yard touchdown. Suh's 61/2 sacks are the best among rookies and defensive tackles.

"Man, he's a freak," receiver Nate Burleson said. "He's physically something that most teams are not ready for."

But the Lions certainly were. They moved their defensive linemen around at the line of scrimmage, were judicious with blitzes and stayed out of penalty trouble.

"I think that we are an elite group that wants to continue to prove," Suh said. "The only way of doing that is going out there and getting after that quarterback and getting after the running back when they run the ball."

Suh's score marked the first time a Lions defensive lineman returned a fumble for a TD since Bob Bell went 25 yards to score on Nov. 1, 1971.

But it nearly didn't happen, because Suh started to celebrate prematurely and was hit from behind by receiver Santana Moss.

"I came close to having a heart attack a lot of times in my life, but that was one of them," coach Jim Schwartz said.

Defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, who had two sacks, said Suh's performance only confirmed what he already knew.

"I hate to use superlatives, but he's one of the best in the game," Vanden Bosch said. "It's hard to argue that."

LINK

If quarterback Matthew Stafford seemed like the breakout star of the Detroit Lions' double-digit victory Sunday over the Washington Redskins, here's a tip: Try watching the other side of the ball.

Rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh's two second-quarter sacks helped him make NFL history, with 6.5 quarterback takedowns in his team's first seven games. Since defensive players' sacks were first tracked in 1982, only one of the other 512 drafted defensive tackles did better than that in the same amount of time, according to statistics website pro-football-reference.com

The fact that Mr. Suh, this year's No. 2 overall draft pick, is making history probably doesn't shock the folks who watched him in college at Nebraska. Though that program is historically known for dominant linemen, Mr. Suh etched his name in the top-5 of at least a half-dozen records in school history. Tom Osborne, Nebraska's athletic director and former longtime football coach, said last year that Mr. Suh was "the most athletic linemen we've ever had."

That said, the NFL pace he's on is a ludicrous 22 times better than the average for every other drafted defensive tackle since '82. Fewer than one-fifth of those players registered even a single sack at this point in their first season and their overall average was .3. The good news for Mr. Suh is that the tackles who started off even close to this well—at least three sacks this early—average more than two pro-bowl appearances in their career and more than six seasons apiece.

—David Biderman

47723619.jpg

LINK

Thanks knapplc for the merge. :thumbs

From here on out I'll post all Suh-related news in this thread for easier access in tracking his progress in the NFL. Feel free to help me out in the process. Just figured it'd be easier to have a one-stop Suh thread for the latest updates.

ps- i feel bad for slauson. He honestly hasnt looked that good this year and at one point had jetnation calling for his head.

I don't follow the NFL religiously like some folks do but I like to keep tabs on Huskers in the NFL and particularly Suh since he's really living up to the hype so far. Needless to say, this new article on Slauson shows that he's coming around as the season progresses.

It'll be fun either way. Seeing two Huskers square off is always intriguing to me.

I doubt I will ever forget Todd McShay's attempts to make a name for himself by pimping Gerald McCoy over Suh last year. For old time's sake:

1 The Rams have a poor track record when it comes to drafting defensive linemen early, and now they have a tough choice to make between the stronger, more instinctive Ndamukong Suh and the quicker, more disruptive McCoy. Coach Steve Spagnuolo is looking for defensive linemen who can penetrate, which is why we think McCoy could be the top overall pick.

2 The Lions will gladly take Suh here. He won't provide the pass-rush production of McCoy, but he is a force versus the run and he consistently disrupts passing windows thanks to his excellent instincts and long arms.

:laughpound

Peter King from SI:

Defensive Players of the Week

Ndamukong Suh, DT; Cliff Avril, DE; and Kyle VandenBosch, DE, Detroit.

What an oppressive game these three Lions played, combining for 15 tackles, six sacks (for a loss of 54 yards), two more quarterbacks hits, two more tackles for loss, a forced fumble and a fumble returned (by Suh) for a touchdown in the 37-25 Detroit victory over Washington. The Lions are 2-5. Their defensive front is playing like it's 5-2.

LINK

Suh on fire.

Sacks by Ndamukong Suh at midseason: 6.5.

Sacks, combined, by Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Albert Haynesworth: 5.0

LINK

ps- i feel bad for slauson. He honestly hasnt looked that good this year and at one point had jetnation calling for his head.

Slauson has improved a lot this yeah. Mind you he replaced a pro-bowler that had to be cut for Mangold's raise.

I know Callahan isn't Mr. popular around here but he has done a good job with the Jets line.

Oh yeah Suh...I think the Lions could very realistically finish the season with a .500 record if their QB stays healthy. It's great to see Suh beasting the NFL but I don't want him stuck on a loser team if Detroit can't get it together.