The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

For some perspective, here is what the 'victim' of Suh's stomping had to say about the whole ordeal: http://www.nfl.com/n...rs-unacceptable

In 2006, Albert Haynesworth, then with the Tennessee Titans, was suspended five games after swiping his cleats across the head of helmetless Dallas center Andre Gurode. Suh's stomp wasn't toward Dietrich-Smith's head, and the Green Bay playerdidn't seem too much worse for wear.

When asked afterward where Suh stepped on him, Dietrich-Smith sounded like he didn't want to stir the pot.

"I have no idea," he said. "I have to watch the tape."

The guy didn't even know where he had been stepped on!! C'mon! If Suh had really wanted to hurt this player he could've done so. I refuse to think this is nothing more than Suh was frustrated and stomped his foot. The GB player just happened to be under it. Now if I had seen Suh look right down at this player then stomp away THEN I would agree with others. I also enjoyed what the Jets coach had to say about the ordeal:

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan came up with one tongue-in-cheek solution Friday.

"I'll be honest with you, I think the young man, he should be released ... and come to the Jets," Ryan joked. "I'm just throwing that out there. I don't think he's that good of a player. I don't know about the incident and all that jazz, but we'll take him. We'll sacrifice that way."

Ryan then turned a little more serious. "I don't even know what to say on it," Ryan said."You've seen things like that happen on the field before. It's an emotional game."

Whoa. Really?

I'm long past the denial stage with Suh. The man needs some help.

I think he needs mentoring on how to play the 'NFL Game'. I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of NFL players do things to other players and not even get a flag thrown. The NFL and the media have Suh's number. There's no denying that. I mean, come on!! The guy couldn't even tell he was stepped on! This is the NFL not wussy backyard football. What would've happened if someone had stepped on Suh? I can bet you there would've been NO flag. Denial says that the event didin't happen-it did. Did he throw a fit, yep. Does he need help in getting his crap together/surpressing his temper on the field-yep But to say that I'm in denial because I don't believe that Suh maliciously hurt a player-sorry I don't buy that and neither should you.

I believe my own eyes. The play was dead. I will put up with a lot of crap before the whistle. Several of Suh's so called dirty hits were not worthy of that title, in my opinion. This one was worthy of an ejection/suspension.

This one cannot be argued. He tried to stomp on an opposing OL players arm long after the play was dead. If this was in court it'd be a slam dunk case. Intent can be inferred from conduct. That conduct was there.

If there is doubt in your mind about this you are not thinking rationally about the situation.

Edit: Regarding the bold, have you seen plenty of NFL players try to stomp on another player's arm after the play was dead and not get a flag thrown? Seriously. Step back and look at this without the Nebraska goggles on.

For some perspective, here is what the 'victim' of Suh's stomping had to say about the whole ordeal: http://www.nfl.com/n...rs-unacceptable

In 2006, Albert Haynesworth, then with the Tennessee Titans, was suspended five games after swiping his cleats across the head of helmetless Dallas center Andre Gurode. Suh's stomp wasn't toward Dietrich-Smith's head, and the Green Bay playerdidn't seem too much worse for wear.

When asked afterward where Suh stepped on him, Dietrich-Smith sounded like he didn't want to stir the pot.

"I have no idea," he said. "I have to watch the tape."

The guy didn't even know where he had been stepped on!! C'mon! If Suh had really wanted to hurt this player he could've done so. I refuse to think this is nothing more than Suh was frustrated and stomped his foot. The GB player just happened to be under it. Now if I had seen Suh look right down at this player then stomp away THEN I would agree with others. I also enjoyed what the Jets coach had to say about the ordeal:

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan came up with one tongue-in-cheek solution Friday.

"I'll be honest with you, I think the young man, he should be released ... and come to the Jets," Ryan joked. "I'm just throwing that out there. I don't think he's that good of a player. I don't know about the incident and all that jazz, but we'll take him. We'll sacrifice that way."

Ryan then turned a little more serious. "I don't even know what to say on it," Ryan said."You've seen things like that happen on the field before. It's an emotional game."

Whoa. Really?

I'm long past the denial stage with Suh. The man needs some help.

I think he needs mentoring on how to play the 'NFL Game'. I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of NFL players do things to other players and not even get a flag thrown. The NFL and the media have Suh's number. There's no denying that. I mean, come on!! The guy couldn't even tell he was stepped on! This is the NFL not wussy backyard football. What would've happened if someone had stepped on Suh? I can bet you there would've been NO flag. Denial says that the event didin't happen-it did. Did he throw a fit, yep. Does he need help in getting his crap together/surpressing his temper on the field-yep But to say that I'm in denial because I don't believe that Suh maliciously hurt a player-sorry I don't buy that and neither should you.

I believe my own eyes. The play was dead. I will put up with a lot of crap before the whistle. Several of Suh's so called dirty hits were not worthy of that title, in my opinion. This one was worthy of an ejection/suspension.

This one cannot be argued. He tried to stomp on an opposing OL players arm long after the play was dead. If this was in court it'd be a slam dunk case. Intent can be inferred from conduct. That conduct was there.

If there is doubt in your mind about this you are not thinking rationally about the situation.

Edit: Regarding the bold, have you seen plenty of NFL players try to stomp on another player's arm after the play was dead and not get a flag thrown? Seriously. Step back and look at this without the Nebraska goggles on.

I didn't say that-you even bolded it: I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of NFL players do things to other players. I've seen other players do worse than what Suh did where they had to carry the victim off the field on a stretcher. That his opponent had to see the tape to even determine what went wrong tells me that some are blowing this incident way out of proportion. Was Suh wrong for what he did-Yep but what was worse than that is this: He lied. Professional football is not a 'Nancy Pants' game. It's tough. All players know they're going to get hit at one time or another, stepped on, kicked, spit on, you name it. Suh shouldn't have done what he did but did he do it MALICIOUSLY? I vote no. He did it out of frustration and anger. But did he decide before the game that he was going to step on that guy? I think not.

Also...good job bringing up a nearly week old post from several pages back...

I've always found that odd, too. It's days old. The conversation has moved on. Even if you're the kind of person who only has a few minutes to spend in the forum here and there, dredging up a post from pages back in the thread is kinda weird.

See Cactus is on to something there. I don't care who you are, if you are a fan of football at any level you must have some amount of respect for the Packers. You don't have to like them but you must respect them.

I respect the Packers. They're a division rival to my Bears, but I've never disliked them. I give Packers fans grief because it's kind of a constitutional obligation for this division, same as giving ViQueens fans grief and Lions fans grief - although over the last decade or so I've mostly pitied Lions fans.

I don't have any animosity towards the Packers. They're (mostly) all that is good and right with professional football. They just happen to be the wrong team for me. After they beat the Bears last year, I rooted for the Pack in the Super Bowl. In general I hope the whole Norris division does well, but of course I want the Bears to win.

I respect the organization but my view on their fanbase has changed this season. They are always trolling the Lions message board.

I don't get where people are seeing Suh "leaning" on Dietrich-Smith. He repeatedly pushed his head into the ground.

I read an article on ESPN I think saying that Dietrich-Smith wasn't letting go of Suh and was in fact pulling him towards the ground. If Suh was trying to get his balance while getting pulled down, it only looked like he was pushing Dietrich-Smith's head into the ground.

Any fan (especially any Badger fan) that comes on here acting as if the Packers were completely innocent in this situation is either completely naive or they're worse homers than any of the Nebraska fans in this thread. The Packers O-Line was baiting Suh all game long - they even said as much after the game. And point, Packers - they got him to commit the foul, and even got him kicked out of the game for taking the bait - but stop with all this high-and-mighty "That's not the way the game is meant to be played" BS.

Who came on here saying the Packers were completely innocent? Not I said this fan...and for the record being a UW and a GB fan are not the same thing. I know plenty of people that are one and not the other.

Oh one last thing, the Packers may not have been completely innocent but there wasn't a holding penalty was there? The Packers are one of the least penalized teams in the NFL, we play some of the cleanest and most respectable football around. Suh and Detroit? meh not so much.

Even if Dietrich was holding Suh explain to me how that is an even halfway reasonable response. It isn't, and his post game comment just proves he has piss poor character. Suspend him.

...and "Only looked like he was pusing Dietrich's head" God, so much :facepalm: in this thread.

I thought you knew your stuff and were actually an objective fan but this post proves the opposite. How about Suh and Best buying jersey's, helmets, shoes etc for a high school team that was too poor to afford them? How about the money he gave to the university of Nebraska? How about how he stayed his final year of college because he actually valued education? Yeah, that proves he has a "piss poor" attitude. You were probably part of the green bay fanbase that called the Lion's pansies for how many years but now they are "dirty?" What he did was wrong and im not condoning it, but didnt charles woodson punch someone this year? You obviously hate suh and have some objectivity involved. Was it because he hurt rodgers when the lions beat the GB last year? Also, explain how "the lions are a dirty team?" Your offensive lineman was holding Suh after the whistle blew by the way, he had a reason to be upset but he went way too overboard and needs to keep his emotions in check!

How you made the leap from that which I posted to this is beyond me. I made other posts that were probably better to quote if you're going to make a rant like this but yea...I'm not even going to really answer this. Also...good job bringing up a nearly week old post from several pages back...

I didnt even bring this back, it was on the first page when i checked huskerboard today. Secondly, youre ignoring all the good things suh has done.

Also...good job bringing up a nearly week old post from several pages back...

I've always found that odd, too. It's days old. The conversation has moved on. Even if you're the kind of person who only has a few minutes to spend in the forum here and there, dredging up a post from pages back in the thread is kinda weird.

See Cactus is on to something there. I don't care who you are, if you are a fan of football at any level you must have some amount of respect for the Packers. You don't have to like them but you must respect them.

I respect the Packers. They're a division rival to my Bears, but I've never disliked them. I give Packers fans grief because it's kind of a constitutional obligation for this division, same as giving ViQueens fans grief and Lions fans grief - although over the last decade or so I've mostly pitied Lions fans.

I don't have any animosity towards the Packers. They're (mostly) all that is good and right with professional football. They just happen to be the wrong team for me. After they beat the Bears last year, I rooted for the Pack in the Super Bowl. In general I hope the whole Norris division does well, but of course I want the Bears to win.

I respect the organization but my view on their fanbase has changed this season. They are always trolling the Lions message board.

...maybe because this season the Lions are trolling our division? :dunno

No but seriously to lose respect for a fanbase over some internet trolling is dumb. The internet is where all the idiots from every team come out to play...

..and I don't know how my post you quoted was on the "first page" considering its on page 11 of this thread but whatever. Necromancy is cool I guess

Here's my view on the whole situation:

Suh slamming the guy's head into the ground and then accidentally (you can tell very clearly from the video that it was an accident) "stomping" on his arm was a dirty action. No doubt about that. BUT, the Packers player did not get hurt. That's what makes this different in my book from, say, James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground and injuring him. Harrison got a big fine for that, but no suspension. Yesterday, on SportsNation, Beadle said that only two players have ever been suspended for their actions on the field: Albert Haynesworth and some guy from the Stone Ages. If that's true, suspending Suh for something like this is an awful big double standard on the part of the NFL.

Suh slamming the guy's head into the ground and then accidentally (you can tell very clearly from the video that it was an accident) "stomping" on his arm was a dirty action. No doubt about that. BUT, the Packers player did not get hurt. That's what makes this different in my book from, say, James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground and injuring him. Harrison got a big fine for that, but no suspension. Yesterday, on SportsNation, Beadle said that only two players have ever been suspended for their actions on the field: Albert Haynesworth and some guy from the Stone Ages. If that's true, suspending Suh for something like this is an awful big double standard on the part of the NFL.

So I ask again: if Dietrich-Smith would have been injured, than should Suh be suspended? It's such a dumb premise that because he didn't hurt the guy, he so obviously had no malicious intent.

• Fire 1

So I ask again: if Dietrich-Smith would have been injured, than should Suh be suspended? It's such a dumb premise that because he didn't hurt the guy, he so obviously had no malicious intent.

If he had been injured, then, yes, Suh should be suspended.

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

But it's the principal of it all. He did it. Whether or not he injured the guy is irrelevant. It's like saying you shouldn't go to jail if you shoot someone but they're not injured.

But it's the principal of it all. He did it. Whether or not he injured the guy is irrelevant. It's like saying you shouldn't go to jail if you shoot someone but they're not injured.

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't think what Suh did is worth a suspension. If anything, trying to behead Jake Delhomme in the 2010 preseason was worth a suspension for Suh. All I want is a little consistency from the NFL when it comes to fines and suspensions.

This whole situation feels exactly like when Eric Martin was suspended by the Big XII last year for a block hit made. The block may or may not have been been illegal (it's impossible to tell from the footage the Big XII used to review it), yet Martin got suspended. Then, a few weeks later, an ESPN camera gets footage of a Texas A&M player trying to castrate Ben Cotton. Mike Sherman admitted that they guy did it, yet he didn't get a suspension from his school or the Big XII.

Like I said, all I want is some consistency when it comes to fines and suspensions. Not just for Suh, but for everyone.