The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

See Cactus is on to something there. I don't care who you are, if you are a fan of football at any level you must have some amount of respect for the Packers. You don't have to like them but you must respect them.

Nope! Screw the Cheeseheads! It's impressive that they are on a 16 [?] game winning streak, but I don't have a shred of respect for them. That being said, I'm thinking about buying a partial share whenever they release more. I know, I'm a two face.

Unless you're into real sentimental stuff, don't. It's not worth the cost IMO. They're basically entirely symbolic.

Here's my view on the whole situation:

Suh slamming the guy's head into the ground and then accidentally (you can tell very clearly from the video that it was an accident) "stomping" on his arm was a dirty action. No doubt about that. BUT, the Packers player did not get hurt. That's what makes this different in my book from, say, James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground and injuring him. Harrison got a big fine for that, but no suspension. Yesterday, on SportsNation, Beadle said that only two players have ever been suspended for their actions on the field: Albert Haynesworth and some guy from the Stone Ages. If that's true, suspending Suh for something like this is an awful big double standard on the part of the NFL.

So I ask again: if Dietrich-Smith would have been injured, than should Suh be suspended? It's such a dumb premise that because he didn't hurt the guy, he so obviously had no malicious intent.

If he had been injured, then, yes, Suh should be suspended.

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

But it's the principal of it all. He did it. Whether or not he injured the guy is irrelevant. It's like saying you shouldn't go to jail if you shoot someone but they're not injured.

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't think what Suh did is worth a suspension. If anything, trying to behead Jake Delhomme in the 2010 preseason was worth a suspension for Suh. All I want is a little consistency from the NFL when it comes to fines and suspensions.

This whole situation feels exactly like when Eric Martin was suspended by the Big XII last year for a block hit made. The block may or may not have been been illegal (it's impossible to tell from the footage the Big XII used to review it), yet Martin got suspended. Then, a few weeks later, an ESPN camera gets footage of a Texas A&M player trying to castrate Ben Cotton. Mike Sherman admitted that they guy did it, yet he didn't get a suspension from his school or the Big XII.

Like I said, all I want is some consistency when it comes to fines and suspensions. Not just for Suh, but for everyone.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw what Suh did. He may as well put a target on his back because he's going to be a target for the ref's for a very long time unless he gets his crappola together both on the field and with regards to the media.

Suh slamming the guy's head into the ground and then accidentally (you can tell very clearly from the video that it was an accident) "stomping" on his arm was a dirty action. No doubt about that. BUT, the Packers player did not get hurt. That's what makes this different in my book from, say, James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground and injuring him. Harrison got a big fine for that, but no suspension. Yesterday, on SportsNation, Beadle said that only two players have ever been suspended for their actions on the field: Albert Haynesworth and some guy from the Stone Ages. If that's true, suspending Suh for something like this is an awful big double standard on the part of the NFL.

So I ask again: if Dietrich-Smith would have been injured, than should Suh be suspended? It's such a dumb premise that because he didn't hurt the guy, he so obviously had no malicious intent.

It's not a dumb premise at all. If Suh would've reached down and tried to help this player get back up after he stepped on him would he have gotten a flag?

I'm not saying that head slamming wasn't malicious, because it obviously was, but the fact is that Dietrich-Smith wasn't hurt. The problem I have with the whole situation is that players like James Harrison, Tommie Harris, Hines Ward, Haloti Ngata, Shaun Phillips, Shawn Merriman, and Brandon Merriweather have all done much worse things on the field (things that have actually caused some serious injuries), yet all they got were fines. No suspension, just fines. What Suh did to Dietrich-Smith doesn't even compare to Haloti Ngata punching Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose or James Harrison body slamming Mohamed Massaquoi into the ground, yet Suh gets suspended. Complete BS.

But it's the principal of it all. He did it. Whether or not he injured the guy is irrelevant. It's like saying you shouldn't go to jail if you shoot someone but they're not injured.

That's a terrible analogy. Shooting at someone is illegal. Stepping on someone's arm in a fit of anger during a football game is not. He did do it. Was it malicious? Nope. Watch the clip again. Suh wasn't even looking at the guy. The fact that the guy said he had to look at the tape to be sure says it all. It doesn't sound (although I don't know this player so I can only give my opinion) like this whole incident made any different to the victim. Why is it making such a difference to you or other here who share your opinion?

Here's my whole view of his suspension:

While suspensions haven't been doled out consistently by the NFL, and while I also think that the NFL is trying to hard to play the game in a room full of fluffy pillows, what Suh may not have been suspension worthy if he didn't already have 4 violations to give him a bad rep. The stomp was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was a bad move on Suh's part and as a person who likes the way Suh plays [it's the way football should be played], I cringed and felt nothing but disappointment in his actions.

The 2 game suspension is right, he deserves it.

I too would like to see suspensions and punishments handed out more evenly, that's like asking the refs to call a penalty every time we think it happens, it just won't be feasible.

That's a terrible analogy. Shooting at someone is illegal. Stepping on someone's arm in a fit of anger during a football game is not. He did do it. Was it malicious? Nope. Watch the clip again. Suh wasn't even looking at the guy. The fact that the guy said he had to look at the tape to be sure says it all. It doesn't sound (although I don't know this player so I can only give my opinion) like this whole incident made any different to the victim. Why is it making such a difference to you or other here who share your opinion?

Ndamukong-Suh-Stomping-e1322423457724.jpg

Why does it make a difference to me? Maybe because there are a few on here (a few, not all) who maintain that Suh either A) didn't intend to hit Dietrich-Smith or B) shouldn't be punished because he didn't hurt the guy when he stomped him.

I'm buying.... if you email stock@packers.com they will email you immediately when the sell off is finally approved. They're only releasing a limited number of shares so they're going to go really fast.

I don't understand how you can't respect them XII...I respect many teams I hate. There's a difference between the two emotions.

I hate successful teams, when my team is not having success @ all. Winning is a powerful elixir for that, but Minnesota just can't seem to do that very well. What do you email to stock@packers.com

I'm buying.... if you email stock@packers.com they will email you immediately when the sell off is finally approved. They're only releasing a limited number of shares so they're going to go really fast.

I don't understand how you can't respect them XII...I respect many teams I hate. There's a difference between the two emotions.

I hate successful teams, when my team is not having success @ all. Winning is a powerful elixir for that, but Minnesota just can't seem to do that very well. What do you email to stock@packers.com

You're a Vikings fan? I don't know if I feel comfortable telling you in that case...just kidding...I just sent an email with my name and its all automated so it just adds you to a distribution list.

Oh and you also have to PM me your credit card and social security numbers to verify your identity.