The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

Fricken announcers last night. Suh gets double teamed every play. Every. Single. Play. But the announcer bagged on him several times, questioning why he doesn't have the sack stats he had his rookie year. So what does Suh do? He fights through a double team for one of the most vicious sacks this year in the NFL. It looked like he nearly ended Cutler's life. Fricken announcers. :facepalm:

I'm a Bears fan and nothing makes me happier that they won this game, but even though that's my quarterback getting creamed, that's a legal hit.

Suh or not, he's just taking the guy down. Football is a violent sport. You don't want to get hurt, then don't play.

I agree, but I really thought they would call a personal foul since his hands were up around Cutler's head.

Apparently Brandon Marshall doesn't agree:

"A Suh. What u did to Jay wasn't cool. Great players don't have to do that," Marshall tweeted after the Bears' 13-7 win over the Detroit Lions at Soldier Field. "A Suh. Something I've learned and now passing down to you. Succeed with character."

"Last night the leg whip that Ndamukong Suh placed on our quarterback Jay Cutler, that was dirty. That was dirty," Marshall said. "He can be one of the best D-tackles that ever done it, but he cannot do that that way. If you look at it, c'mon man, this is not wrestling. You don't do that. That's not clean."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8540916/brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-calls-ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions-hit-jay-cutler

I don't care what it looked like. It was a legal hit and it was not dirty. It was aggressive. Football is a game of aggression. Suh plays with aggression. At times he's gotten out of control, so now the media tends to overreact to him. That doesn't mean they're right - they're just sensitive to Suh plays now.

And again, Suh, while playing the Bears, is the enemy. I have no reason to cover for him here, being a Bears fan.

• Fire 1

I don't necessarily think it's a legal hit these days. Your hands aren't supposed to go anywhere near a QB's head.

However, this is the type of thing Lawrence Taylor did on a regular basis. As in, several times per game. And he's widely considered the greatest defender of all time. If Suh played in that era we would be celebrating these types of hits as great plays.

edit: I didn't realize the play occurred outside the pocket, maybe the rules are different in that scenario. QBs aren't usually protected by those "sitting duck" rules outside the pocket.

When I hear people claiming he plays dirty I like to think of Suh as a big, somewhat clumsy, misunderstood teddy bear that's unaware of his own strength. :lol:

Simply a football play, Suh said. I can't control my momentum, especially at that high speed. I'm chasing him. He's running away from me. My whole goal is just to get the quarterback down and make a play and get us off the field or move on to the next play.

Obviously that's not the case when you look at some of the things he's done (excluding the play last night). I think he is waging a form of psychological warfare. The image of your QB getting tossed around like a rag doll has to have an effect on how the opposing team plays. I didn't watch the whole game but I noticed Suh getting double teamed and 1 false start. Also, it has to get into the QB's head knowing that this maniac can break through protection and put a hurt on. The fact that he's not above doing something dirty makes it even more effective. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Lion's coaches condone what he is doing but they probably aren't encouraging him to change the way he plays.

If I was him, I could care less if I was liked or disliked. Most of his fans like him, thats all I really think that matters. Just because a QB gets hit hard, doesn't mean it was dirty. Nowhere did I see that hit he had on Cutler look dirty. Even Cutler said, his hit was aggressive, but not dirty. Sure he has had some illegal hits before, and he will always be perceived as a dirty player, but that hit, 100% legit.