The Unofficial Put the Officiating complaint to rest thread

irafreak

Correct, 74. Going at or below the knees is only illegal if another player is engaged with the "victim" above the waist, while the second blocker then engages them below the waist. Without that second blocker, it's a cut block, and legal.

It was borderline...he was coming from the side, but close enough to behind. This is the inconsistency of protecting players. If it is even close when a defender is hitting someone, they throw the flag to protect the offensive guy. It is not the same when protecting the defensive player though. A block like that, could end and has ended several players' careers. I will respect these suspensions/flags when they start throwing them on the offensive players for targeting. How was that o-lineman not targeting Baker and trying to take out his knees? I am sure all of you offensive minded people will just say, "he is trying to throw a block". Well, the defensive guy is on a full sprint trying to make a tackle most of the time too....

Correct, 74. Going at or below the knees is only illegal if another player is engaged with the "victim" above the waist, while the second blocker then engages them below the waist. Without that second blocker, it's a cut block, and legal.

It was borderline...he was coming from the side, but close enough to behind. This is the inconsistency of protecting players. If it is even close when a defender is hitting someone, they throw the flag to protect the offensive guy. It is not the same when protecting the defensive player though. A block like that, could end and has ended several players' careers. I will respect these suspensions/flags when they start throwing them on the offensive players for targeting. How was that o-lineman not targeting Baker and trying to take out his knees? I am sure all of you offensive minded people will just say, "he is trying to throw a block". Well, the defensive guy is on a full sprint trying to make a tackle most of the time too....

I don't disagree with you, but it looked as if the was a legal cut block from the side/front. If that came from behind, I believe it would either be a clip, or an illegal block below the waist. It was NOT a chop block. It drives me nuts when someone calls a cut block a chop block, they are not the same thing.

If you want to change the rules to make that type of block illegal, I can understand it. But it wasn't illegal.

Ok first the thread's purpose was to silence the missouri complainers. We know calls went both ways but all we were hearing was our calls. Thought I'd just point out the game was poorly officiated all around. Second the cut/chop block I stated I wasn't sure about the rules. I questioned it because it was from outside to inside. I thought that was illegal. Just posted it to see what the real rules were since somebody would know so you can toss that one out of the equation that's fine. I also believe they called Blaine down because the helmets touched and they were trying to make up for it. It's still a terrible rule.

Ok first the thread's purpose was to silence the missouri complainers. We know calls went both ways but all we were hearing was our calls. Thought I'd just point out the game was poorly officiated all around. Second the cut/chop block I stated I wasn't sure about the rules. I questioned it because it was from outside to inside. I thought that was illegal. Just posted it to see what the real rules were since somebody would know so you can toss that one out of the equation that's fine. I also believe they called Blaine down because the helmets touched and they were trying to make up for it. It's still a terrible rule.

The block on Steinkulher really bugs me. Stein is running after the ball carrier and the guy litterly dives at his knees. To me that is blatantly cheap shot and still think its a illegal hit. This is an extremely dangerous practice, he couldve easily injuried Stein. In Big 12 officating language, Stein is a defenseless player, has little chance at making a play on the ball. Besides isnt a cut block only legal on the line of scrimmage anyway. For example you can cut block a DT at the line, but not a blitzing LB/Safety/corner. This my understanding of the rules, maybe I need a refresher.

• Fire 1

The block on Steinkulher really bugs me. Stein is running after the ball carrier and the guy litterly dives at his knees. To me that is blatantly cheap shot and still think its a illegal hit. This is an extremely dangerous practice, he couldve easily injuried Stein. In Big 12 officating language, Stein is a defenseless player, has little chance at making a play on the ball. Besides isnt a cut block only legal on the line of scrimmage anyway. For example you can cut block a DT at the line, but not a blitzing LB/Safety/corner. This my understanding of the rules, maybe I need a refresher.

that is my understanding. it is an illegal crackback block in the backfield.

that is my understanding. it is an illegal crackback block in the backfield.

I don't know if it's illegal, but it looked like it and probably should be, but making a rule about it would benefit the defense, so it will never be made.