Sorry sd'sker as I don't have any great technical info. for you on this but I do have the exact same question! So, we have two Husker fans in need of help here! Just starting to look at tablets and I can't decide between iPad and android. Some people really love the iPad and usually when I hear about android it was bought because of the price but I have yet to have someone tell me that it is good or better than iPad. Got a few..."it's pretty good and the price was good (i.e. less than iPad)".

So, who can help your fellow Husker fans on this? I am looking for one as a Christmas gift to use around the home...primarily heavy email and web surfing (mobile HuskerBoard at my fingertips, :)) Some gaming maybe. Maybe some basic word processing and spreadsheeting. Initially I was thinking a netbook but I do really like the tablets.

Advice is appreciated.

Sorry sd'sker as I don't have any great technical info. for you on this but I do have the exact same question! So, we have two Husker fans in need of help here! Just starting to look at tablets and I can't decide between iPad and android. Some people really love the iPad and usually when I hear about android it was bought because of the price but I have yet to have someone tell me that it is good or better than iPad. Got a few..."it's pretty good and the price was good (i.e. less than iPad)".

So, who can help your fellow Husker fans on this? I am looking for one as a Christmas gift to use around the home...primarily heavy email and web surfing (mobile HuskerBoard at my fingertips, :)) Some gaming maybe. Maybe some basic word processing and spreadsheeting. Initially I was thinking a netbook but I do really like the tablets.

Advice is appreciated.

i have found information is hard to come by. i looked at some on amazon (i am interested in this one: link), but there is as many people who hate as there are who like it. i can not afford an ipad, and i do not need something that powerful.

i was just wondering if this is a good value, knowing it is not as good as an ipad but it is a lot cheaper. or if it is a knockoff piece of garbage. i am a fan of the android os and android products in general.

There are several high quality tablets in the development/QA phase right now. The ones that have been released thus far are not high quality machines, just companies throwing together a product in high demand.

Expect to see 1 or 2 pop up around Christmas that may make a bigger splash. Right now Google is forcing the Chrome OS down the tablet makers throats since the android OS *supposedly* isn't optimal for a larger machine outside of the phones... this has caused some delays.

• 4 weeks later...

So finally checking out the iPad and sampled it at a store. I had read about the following and needed to see for myself...the iPad does not support Flash! That is a dealbreaker for me and I'll be looking into the Android tablets. In the store the iPad was very responsive to touch screen (I liked that feature) but when I went to espn.com to check out how video looked, nothing would play! As you know, a lot of news and sports sites like espn.com have half their headlines in a video format. Without Flash, those sites are pretty useless!

So, I asked the guy in the store and he confirmed that is why I couldn't play the videos. He even admitted it was a bad move by Apple to not support Flash. I know a bit about the situation from googling it...Apple is at war with Adobe Flash and says Flash is not the most compatible with Apple products, slows them down, crashes them, etc. So Apple decided not to support Flash and is pushing other formats. But a lot of websites use Flash so what good is a slick, shiny new iPad when you can't experience the full web?! No way at that price! A couple was standing next to me checking out the iPad and they said they liked their iPhones but they got into the conversation and were surprised to hear about the iPad's "design flaw". Think it soured them on it also.

• 1 month later...

I bought my mother an E-reader for x-mas powered by android. It's alright, but it is definitely less responsive and far slower than my girlfriend's HTC phone, because they both use the same software.

I also received an ereader with the android OS for Christmas, and made some easy tweaks.

Try downloading an android app for Opera Mini as the browser. Really improved the speed.

Looking around the net you can find some good help on how to add apps you might want.

I just finished loading Kindle,BN, Overdrive Media for reading.

Pandora,Lastfm and youtube for music.

Now I'm pretty happy with the unit.

Shoot me a PM and I'll pass on what I've found out.