ADS

Player: Colt Lylerla

Hometown: Hillsboro, OR

School: Hillsboro HS

Position: ATH/DE

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 225

40 time: 4.56

Scholarships: Miami FL, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado, California, Arizona

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star:star

ESPN: :star:star:star:star

Highlights in ESPN Profile.

• 4 weeks later...
HILLSBORO –- Hillsboro senior Colt Lyerla said Monday that Oregon and USC top the short list of schools that he is considering after making an informal visit to Eugene this weekend.

Lyerla, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound running back/linebacker who is rated one of the nation’s top high school prospects in the 2011 recruiting class, said he also remains interested in Miami, Oklahoma and UCLA.

The first day for high school football players to sign national letters of intent is Feb. 2.

“I feel like I’m getting closer to a decision, but I still have a lot of thinking to do,” Lyerla said before Monday’s practice. “I’m kind of just waiting for the school or whatever I’m choosing for to feel right.

“Once I get that feeling and it feels right, whether that be on signing day or a month before signing day … whenever that is, that’s when I’m going to make my decision.”

The two schools he seems most serious about also are the two he has visited recently, having made an official visit to USC two weeks ago when the Trojans played Arizona State, followed by his informal visit to Oregon this weekend.

Lyerla has an official visit to UCLA tentatively scheduled for Dec. 4 when the Bruins face USC in the Rose Bowl, but doesn’t have any other trips planned at this time.

“USC and Oregon would be my top choices right now,” Lyerla said. “I wouldn’t want to put one ahead of the other right now.”

As for the other schools he has stayed in contact with, he said “it’s not an appropriate time for me to ‘X’ them out or to say that they’re still a top school, either.”

Hillsboro athletic director Steve Drake has acted as Lyerla’s personal buffer throughout the recruiting process, handling most of the phone calls from recruiters. In addition to Oregon, UCLA and USC, he said that Arizona, California and Nebraska have been the most persistent in their pursuit of Lyerla, last year’s Class 5A offensive player of the year.

Drake said Nebraska not only extended a scholarship offer to Lyerla, but also invited him to Lincoln for Friday’s home game against Colorado. He’s not going, because that the same day the Spartans play Jesuit in an OSAA Class 6A quarterfinal game at Hillsboro’s Hare Field.

"We're really encouraging Colt to explore other options ... just to make sure before he makes a decision that he knows what he really, really wants to do," Drake said.

Lyerla has taken several informal trips to Eugene over the past two years, but said the purpose of this weekend’s visit was to meet with Oregon coach Chip Kelly Saturday and to watch the Ducks practice Sunday.

“Basically, I’m still trying to decide if I want to stay in state or go out of state,” Lyerla said. “So, I wanted to go down to Eugene and revisit everything.”

Lyerla is on track to graduate at the end of the second trimester on March 10, which means he could be eligible to join his future college team in time for spring practice, depending on which school he signs with.

Hillsboro coach Ken Ingram said Lyerla is handling the recruiting process as well as could be expected.

"It's tough for him, because those recruiters are professional at what they do," Ingram said. "I think for Colt, he doesn't want to hurt anybody's feelings and say, 'No,' but he's trying to take a look at what's out there.

"It's a tough process. It's not a cakewalk, that's for sure, but he's doing okay. Lately, he's really been focused on football, and I think when he's out on the field it's maybe a relief to be able to just do what he does best."

Lyerla had 19 carries for 219 yards and five touchdowns in Friday's 63-49 victory at West Salem, helping propel the Spartans (8-3) into this week's Class 6A quarterfinals against Jesuit (10-1).

Lyerla, who sat out the second half of Hillsboro's opening playoff game against Sunset with a strained calf muscle, also had five tackles against West Salem and was on the field for all but about seven plays, Ingram said.

"He was good," Ingram said. "I mean, he played like he can. But the nice thing about our team is that we had so many guys play well. Colt is definitely good, but it's more than just him."

-- Jim Beseda

Sounds like nebraska is making a push for Colt.

Article

Man this guy would be a sweet addition. Rivals has him at number 8 in the top 10 most impressive prospects physically.

Buzz: Lyerla reminds many of Brian Urlacher because of his strength and speed combination and NFL build. Some schools like him at linebacker and others are still thinking offense because the four-star is so athletic. Lyerla is a 6-foot-3, 225-pound prospect with a great frame who is built like an old-school, traditional linebacker and looks as if he should be in college or even the NFL already.

Top 10:Physical Specimens

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...