Should Martinez sit?

Hello everyone, new Husker fan here, and first post on the board. This is the first time I've followed Nebraska for the whole season. I usually follow the SC Trojans. But since Taylor played at the same high school as I did, I decided to follow you guys for the season. Tell you what, it's been quite fun seeing a fellow 'Centennial Husky' have some success and I also discovered a very rich in tradition a class football team in Nebraska. Also just spent a boat load on Husker gear at the Nebraska store as well. So anyway enough about me, what I wanted to know from you all is considering that Martinez has a sprain ankle, do you think the staff should sit him the next game and give him time to fully rest up and heal that ankle? Rather than risking further injury? I think I'd rather have TMart fully healthy for the upcoming games and 'championship' game/bowl game. I'm sure Lee or Green could handle Iowa St. Zac Lee does a great job at QB, havent seen much of Green though, but I heard he was good as well. Alright folks, thanks for the time and can't wait for the upcoming games!

Ps. if this has been discussed in a previous thread, I apologize in advance. :)

Welcome, HH! As my name might suggest, I, too, follow the Trojans despite being a die-hard Husker fan. (Born and raised in SoCal, Nebraska alum, currently living in SoCal again.) As someone who came to Nebraska totally immersed in USC football, I should warn you that you will be addicted to Nebraska's program and will eventually find USC taking a backseat to Nebraska your mind.

To answer your question, it really depends on how Martinez is feeling. Martinez is still relatively inexperienced and could benefit from the reps, so ideally I'd like to see him play at least a half. Even if he was 100%, I'd probably pull him at the half, assuming the game is relatively in hand. If he is really hurting, though, it's probably best to keep him out. It's always so hard to tell how hurt the players really are since Bo keeps such a lid on everything.

Maybe taylor should take it as a learning experience for not running the offence like he should be running it. For the zone read to be effective for a qb thats a runner you have to get the backs their carries also ,he should watch the videos of the game after he went out. Now I knoe mizzou knew the backs was gonna get the ball at that point but if the backs are GETTING their carries its gonna be more effective for him when he does keep the ball. Thats why I think the zone read is snow balling on him a lil bit becuzz the other team watches film and they knoe hes keeping the ball most of the time,so I hope that the coaches sit him down this week and go back to the 1st game and show him how to run the read like he did.

I think you misunderstand the Zone Read. It's not like Taylor can INTEND to give Roy/Rex the ball more often. The whole point of the play is that the QB reads a key player on the D Line - typically either the End or Tackle, depending on where the blocking scheme wants the play to go - and if that read shows keep, he has to keep the ball.

The problem Taylor is having is not in his intentions or his reads, it's in the way they're defending the play. Since SDSU our opponents have been loading the box on the Zone Read, committing the End to the RB and a CB and a Tackle (in the event our Center/Guard pulls) to Taylor. This means Taylor has a guy in his face immediately after keeping the ball, plus a guy on the second level waiting for his first move. At the same time the End is crashing down on the RB, with near-immediate contact.

It's a well-designed scheme against the Zone Read, but it leaves the defense vulnerable against the pass - as Oklahoma State discovered to their chagrin.

It was documented in some article (after the Texass game i believe) that people have been able to key in on martinez because he has been making the read before the ball is snapped based on alignment. So there are times that while it may look a read play, the "give" or "keep" is predetermined (by design). While this makes the play somewhat less effective, I understand why the coaches have him do this - it keeps the "bookwork" at a minimum for a freshman. Of course there are times when he makes the read in-play, but after watching zac lee run the zone read play this year, I would argue that he is actually better at making the proper read. The only problem he doesnt have the speed to pick up more than 6 or 7 yds, whereas T-mart can take it the distance. Just an observation.

Maybe taylor should take it as a learning experience for not running the offence like he should be running it. For the zone read to be effective for a qb thats a runner you have to get the backs their carries also ,he should watch the videos of the game after he went out. Now I knoe mizzou knew the backs was gonna get the ball at that point but if the backs are GETTING their carries its gonna be more effective for him when he does keep the ball. Thats why I think the zone read is snow balling on him a lil bit becuzz the other team watches film and they knoe hes keeping the ball most of the time,so I hope that the coaches sit him down this week and go back to the 1st game and show him how to run the read like he did.

I think you misunderstand the Zone Read. It's not like Taylor can INTEND to give Roy/Rex the ball more often. The whole point of the play is that the QB reads a key player on the D Line - typically either the End or Tackle, depending on where the blocking scheme wants the play to go - and if that read shows keep, he has to keep the ball.

The problem Taylor is having is not in his intentions or his reads, it's in the way they're defending the play. Since SDSU our opponents have been loading the box on the Zone Read, committing the End to the RB and a CB and a Tackle (in the event our Center/Guard pulls) to Taylor. This means Taylor has a guy in his face immediately after keeping the ball, plus a guy on the second level waiting for his first move. At the same time the End is crashing down on the RB, with near-immediate contact.

It's a well-designed scheme against the Zone Read, but it leaves the defense vulnerable against the pass - as Oklahoma State discovered to their chagrin.

It was documented in some article (after the Texass game i believe) that people have been able to key in on martinez because he has been making the read before the ball is snapped based on alignment. So there are times that while it may look a read play, the "give" or "keep" is predetermined (by design). While this makes the play somewhat less effective, I understand why the coaches have him do this - it keeps the "bookwork" at a minimum for a freshman. Of course there are times when he makes the read in-play, but after watching zac lee run the zone read play this year, I would argue that he is actually better at making the proper read. The only problem he doesnt have the speed to pick up more than 6 or 7 yds, whereas T-mart can take it the distance. Just an observation.

good observation, spot on.

I wonder, do we have a zone-read fake to a pass play (like the old option pass-I'd still love to see that play this year), or does the blocking scheme not work or would that play take too long to develop. Seems like if the D is dedicating 3 players including a DB to stopping the ZR, a fake to pass would be deadly.

Yes we do, and we've ran them a couple of times. One is a pass downfield and I can't tell you when we ran that (I want to say Okie State, but I can't cite a play), but the other is a variant where we run the Zone Read, then throw to a WR in a sort of bubble screen situation, which I know we ran against Missouri.

Tell me if I was drunk or remembering incorrectly, but I swear we've even done a fake pass into a zone read. It's also 8am and I've been up doing homework all night so I could be wrong and talking out my you know what. I know there was something along that lines that I thought was very cool.