Good News for those who hate TV announcers

knapplc

With digital broadcasting becoming the norm, they could make multiple audio streams available. Last year (I think) the FSNHD channel on Cox didn't have ANY production audio-- no announcers, no sideline reporters (we could see them, but no audio)-- nothing but stadium sound. That was perfect. It actually made me pay closer attention, we didn't feel the urge to listen to what anyone was saying, we could hear the refs make their calls, etc. It was AWESOME. Also, if you ahve a 5.1 system, you can sometimes kill the center channel (physically disconnecting it while the receiver thinks that you still have a center) and that will knock out the announcers unless the voices are "wide" and bleed to the mains. But, yeah, it was lovely to hear nothing but the stadium. I don't know why they don't give us that option! I would ALWAYS pick the 5.1 audio from the stadium because, really, I don't need anyone to tell me what's happening-- I can see.

This won't work nearly as well as it sounds. Cable, satellite, HD, SD, etc. all have different delays on their broadcasts, they'll only be able to sync it up to one feed.

If I were them, I would sync it to the feed that is delayed the most (the one that is seen the longest after the live event happens), so that way people with DVR's can pause a few seconds to still benefit from this (you obviously can't fast forward the tv).

Is it just for this game or do you suppose they'll do it from now on?

The way they're talking about it, it's a permanent thing.

Whoever mentioned the DVR thing - that only works if the TV broadcast is ahead of the radio. My experience was that it was the other way around - the radio had to push a much smaller signal through a much smaller network, so it went out faster. The TV had to go through the satellite and was typically slower.

No, there is usually a longer delay on TV than the radio, so they are going to delay their broadcast a little longer to (I assume) match up with Time Warner HD ABC. I am pretty sure DirecTV is a little further behind Time Warner due to it being satellite. But if you have DVR, it's not difficult to sync up on your own.

No, there is usually a longer delay on TV than the radio, so they are going to delay their broadcast a little longer to (I assume) match up with Time Warner HD ABC. I am pretty sure DirecTV is a little further behind Time Warner due to it being satellite. But if you have DVR, it's not difficult to sync up on your own.

i use to listen to the radio for the games, but it got annoying nowing what was going to happen before i could see the ball get snapped.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_62c42666-e797-11df-968f-001cc4c03286.html

Tired of ABC announcers supposedly bashing the husker football team.

KLIN to sync radio broadcast to NU-Iowa State TV feed e Husker football team?

KLIN will give you an option for Saturday's road game against Iowa State.

The Lincoln radio station (1400 AM) will sync its broadcast of the game to the delayed television feed, which will begin at 2:30 p.m. on ABC.

Television delays its feeds by five or more seconds to avoid profanity or obscene material from hitting the airwaves. The radio broadcast is live.

Viewers either can listen to ABC announcers Dave Pasch and Bob Griese or turn down the sound and tune in Greg Sharpe and Matt Davison of the Husker Sports Network.

The radio broadcast will coincide with the high-definition broadcast sent through digital cable boxes or video recorders from Time Warner Cable on channels 107 and 108.

It will not work with standard-definition signals or those from the satellite services, according to KLIN program director John Bishop. Nor does it involve Froggy 98 (KFGE 98.1 FM), which also carries the game in Lincoln.

Bishop said the station has been kicking around the idea of meshing the video and audio broadcasts for a while.

"But we didn't have the proper technology to pull it off," he said.

The station does now, and its timing couldn't be any better.

Bishop has heard from several Husker fans angry with ABC analyst Ed Cunningham, who worked Nebraska's games against Oklahoma State and Missouri. Cunningham was critical of hits by Nebraska defenders in both games.

"We sensed there's this anger," Bishop said. "I don't see it, but there's always been an element of Husker fans thinking that the national media is out to get us -- that they always have an agenda against Nebraska."

If the sync broadcast works Saturday, Bishop is optimistic KLIN will do it again for Nebraska's road game against Texas A&M, should it be carried by television.

"I also think we may be able to strike a happy medium between HD and SD," he said. "It depends on the delays."

KLIN has no plans to sync televised home games. Meshing the broadcasts would mean losing fans in the stadium who are listening to the games.

That could change, since Froggy 98 and KLIN carry the broadcasts in the Lincoln market, Bishop said. One could carry the live feed, while the other could sync to the delayed TV broadcast. It would require addressing equipment and personnel issues, he said.

"It may be something we look at next year if this becomes standard procedure," Bishop said.

I may try this out on Saturday see how close to sync it is.