Observations on Martinez........

A lot of strange things going on at times but we don't have all the info. The high ankle sprain may take months to heal but the trainers may have said that it won't get any worse. It's probably more of a dealing with the pain issue. I do worry more about his passing off that ankle than his running. We have backs that can run the ball. What was the deal throwing twice at the end of the game, calling time out and then taking a knee?

I don't know, I thought that was weird as well. If you're gonna call timeout let Taylor throw it up there and see if we get a score. Turner knows what we are up against as far as the national media is concerned, I don't think he would've had a problem with it.

Hanc, I agree with most of the stuff you said, but I think the unknown here is whether Cody actually had a concussion or not. If he had one, obviously he's not an option for this game. I don't care that the coaches are secretive, it screws with other teams that way.

Here's a quick question though, if my shoulder or knee or whatever is killing me, and it's not something too serious, I go to the doctor for a cortizone shot. What's stopping the medical staff from giving Taylor a cortizone shot? Would it take the pain away? That seems to be the biggest issue with his ankle, the pain. Take the pain away and you solve the problem, don't abuse the cortizone shot by any means, but once or twice isn't a big deal from what I've heard. Just spit-balling here........

The most perplexing thing to me last night was not how they left Martinez in the whole game, but the offense that we ran all night. It was glaringly obvious that Martinez wasn't going to be able to run like normal, so KU completely ignored him on the zone read and went after the backs and it worked. We NEVER went under center and ran out of the I, or at least not much. It seems like when our offense is at it's best, they thrive off of just lining up and running downhill, especially when your QB is no threat to run, like he was last night.

Overall, I guess they probably used last night as more of a practice, to work on different things in the offense that they feel like they might need down the road, especially if the ankle never gets back to 100%. But, looking at the results, I think we may need to go back to the drawing board a bit this week. The D will need to be lights out like they were last night if Martinez isn't healthy the rest of the year, because this offense is VERY pedestrian without a running threat at QB, sort of looks a lot like last year!

Let's hope last nights game didn't aggravate the ankle any more, which it didn't look like it did, he actually looked like he trusted it more and more as the game went on. Hopefully another full week of healing will make a big difference. If not, the Blackshirts better strap it up, they are going to be asked to win 2 games to get us to Dallas!

:bonesflag:

+1 vote for mixing in more power running from the I or whatever. I've loved watching Oklahoma go from spread to the power I this year -- They were killing Texas with that stuff in the Red River Shootout. Why not do more of that at NU? Sometimes opponents have us locked up in our finesse running game from the spread. You can start passing at that point, obviously, but there are other ways to go as well. I say line up and sock them in the jaw with two tight-ends and a FB from time to time and see how it works to loosen them up...

HANC, Green was out for the day. It was either Taylor or down to our fourth string - Kellogg/Latravis?

I figure they should have given one of those guys a chance with Rex running the wildcat, but the thinking was probably: the team needs to build for next week, slowly but surely, instead of having 3 starters in 3 weeks to work around.

We did see Rex in the Rexcat a lot and TM being limited. (I guess - I missed a part of the game). I do hope it really is one of those injuries that just lingers and isn't at risk to get worse.

I would definately agree with running some more power football right down the Aggies throats. I guess I don't know how that would match up with their defense, but sometimes we get too cute on offense. Just run it at 'em and if our QB isn't mobile enough right now due to an injury throw the ball more and continue with the power running game. We got the horses to do it. Roy and Rex have shown they can move a pile if they need to.

I think he'll be fine. He was taking it real easy tonight, but even with the ankle he had some tough running. I would say that had Cody or Zach been healthy enough to play, Taylor probably would have taken the week off, but I still think he'll be fine. It takes time to recover from even the most minor injuries. Also, I think this week may have been good for him because it forced him to stand in the pocket and pass the ball. It's very possible he went through some growing pains with this game against the Jayhawks.

Ok....I am going to get "beat up" here, but here it goes.......... I am extremely diasappointed in our coaching staff... Being a football coach, I spend half of my life being "second-guessed" by uneducated fans, so now it is MY turn.

Yes, I am being an uneducated fan here, but I think playing T-Mart was a HUGE mistake. You can listen to Pelini and Co. sugar-coat their reasoning all you want. Believe me, coaches know how to say the right things to convince the public they did the right thing.

It was PAINFULLY obvious that T-mart was about 70%. I am almost postitive he was instructed NOT to run the ball in the first half. Only 1 true "zone-read" play in first half...he kept it once and scrambled once. In the second half, yes, they realized they may have to let him keep once or twice or we had no chance of running our offense.

I don't want to hear that they wanted him to work on passing skills. Unfair to him. The kid COULDN'T get a solid plant foot, thus, causing balls to fly all over the place. If you can't plant and follow through with the push, balls will sail high like they did.

IMO, all they did was set him back even further. He was limping many times heading to sidelines. The high ankle will be too sore to walk today. Wouldn't surpise me if he is back in boot until Monday at practice. Another "non-contact" and "non-full speed" cut weekend would've done wonders for the ankle. All they did was not only make the healing process slow down, they really put a major "risk" on the remainder of the season. It would've taken 1 play to end his regular season.

And if I am Cody Green, I am OUT. Heck, Green could've run for as many yards, fumbled twice and thrown errant passes and int....but, they sent a clear message that he will never qb.

Sorry for the Sunday morning rant...I don't know much, but this is my opinion. We will all probably agree to disagree on this one... Go ahead.... ATTACK :)

I agree too Hanc. Might not be the popular opinion but just because something's popular doesn't make it right. I know he's the guy we need in there and would love to see him in there like nobody's business but not if he's hurt.

Weirdly Kellogg might be the other option. I also thought I heard Ron was going to get playing time yesterday, what happened with that? I missed most of the game after midway through the 2nd.

Kellogg would have gotten PT if Martinez looked like he had aggravated his injury at any point. I think if we had put another TD on the board that we would have seen him, which would have been good for Ron.

He's actually a decent QB from what people say, but pretty limited in what he can do.