Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

With the way our crowd has been in a lot of games this year at home and Bo recently making comments about our crowd being silent what are some ways that the we as fans or the University can do to get the crowd more involved in the game?

I have a few suggestions that the University should look into:

•  
  • I know that Huskervision plays “Stand up and Shout” during crucial moments of the game but do they do it enough? I don’t think they do it enough nor do I think they find any other creative ways to get our crowd involved in the game. Maybe they should have a sound level meter on the Jumbotron that way the crowd sees it and then they can react to it by screaming and yelling raising the sound level on the meter. Sometimes I think that they do more advertising than they do at getting the crowd more involved into game.
  • Cheerleaders. Cheerleaders are there to get the crowd involved in the game with their chants and they do that well before the Tunnel Walk with the “Husker Power” chant. I think the Cheerleaders should do this chant during timeouts or commercial breaks. The Husker Power chant is by my favorite chant because to me its really intimidating to hear one side of the stadium yell out “Husker” and then to other side yell out “Power” and getting 80,000+ to do this should get into the heads of the opposing team while pumping up our players when they head back out onto the field. Lets say you’re at home watching the game and after all the commercials are done and they come back to the game you can actually hear the HUSKER POWER chant on your TV speakers while the TV announcers are commentating. How awesome would that be?

Any other suggestions or ideas.

EDIT: This threads title has been edited I don't know how many times.....guess thats what happens when I work graveyards....the body is functioning but the mind isn't.

I've been to a few games in Lincoln since 2001 including some nail-biters and I've never been impressed. I live in Baton Rouge and Tiger Stadium seems to be ten times as loud. I think alcohol plays a big role as well. Down here, alcohol is allowed to be consumed on campus and everywhere else, whereas up there, the drinking area is very limited.

Whether the team is great or not, whether they're performing or not, the crowd noise is still a result of the CROWD. The players don't make crowd noise.

Fans have a choice. You can either be loud, or not, it has nothing to do with the team. So if you CHOOSE not to be loud, then when a coach comes along after the game and says it wasn't loud, don't sit around blaming the team. You have a voice, use it or don't use it at the game, but stop blaming the team. They have nothing to do with your ability to use your own larynx.

Give it a rest. You're saying that no matter what happens on the field, the crowd should be amped like Alex Henery just kicked a 57-yarder? There is NO WAY you cheer like that all the time, every game.

You're basically saying that NO MATTER WHAT, the crowd should be cheering at the top of their lungs. Humans don't work that way. If you show humans a comedy, they laugh. If you show them a drama, they cry. If you show them a mystery, they ponder. Humans respond to the stimulus in front of them. If the team plays like crap, they're not going to scream and holler. If the team is dominant, they'll be loud. Pretending that they should go entirely against human nature is absurd.

As far as getting the students closer to the field..

the reason they changed things was because people behind them were moaning that they couldn't see, since the students stand on top of the bleachers. Am I the only one that sees this as an absurdly simple problem to fix? Either a) get rid of the bleachers, let them stand on concrete slabs or B) bring the concrete in the student section down two feet, make it into a bit of a "hole" for them to fill into where they can stand all they want and the people behind them can see fine.

Someone needs to get an email for TO or the athletic department so we can let our voices be heard. Talking about it on a messageboard doesn't do anything other than provide discussion for the people present. If we don't like it, let's do something about it.

Has the stadium ever had a reputation for a hostile environment, every game?

It seems like the trend has always been loud for big games, dull/quiet for not big games.

I don't think Memorial Stadium is nationally recognized for loudness. Overall atmosphere, yes.

Whether the team is great or not, whether they're performing or not, the crowd noise is still a result of the CROWD. The players don't make crowd noise.

Fans have a choice. You can either be loud, or not, it has nothing to do with the team. So if you CHOOSE not to be loud, then when a coach comes along after the game and says it wasn't loud, don't sit around blaming the team. You have a voice, use it or don't use it at the game, but stop blaming the team. They have nothing to do with your ability to use your own larynx.

Give it a rest. You're saying that no matter what happens on the field, the crowd should be amped like Alex Henery just kicked a 57-yarder? There is NO WAY you cheer like that all the time, every game.

You're basically saying that NO MATTER WHAT, the crowd should be cheering at the top of their lungs. Humans don't work that way. If you show humans a comedy, they laugh. If you show them a drama, they cry. If you show them a mystery, they ponder. Humans respond to the stimulus in front of them. If the team plays like crap, they're not going to scream and holler. If the team is dominant, they'll be loud. Pretending that they should go entirely against human nature is absurd.

When I was in high school, I played in the band. My senior year, the student section for basketball absolutely blew chunks. No matter how good or bad the team was, they just sat on their hands, talked to one another, and collectively ignored the game going on in front of them, while the opposing student section would be going crazy making fun of them. So, a few of us in the band decided we would start just screaming our heads off the entire time, and jumping up and down, and anything else a student section should be doing during a basketball game. Before long, the ENTIRE band was doing this, and we were matching the opposing student section for noise. After a playoff game where the team lost by 10 points or so, a few of the players jumped on to our bus and thanked us for actually supporting them.

Now, Nebraska's fans are nowhere close to being as sad as that old student section, but they are passive. It doesn't have to be like that. The crowd can step up and affect the game if it chooses to, without the team bringing them into it.

Cheering your team isn't necessarily like laughing or crying. When a play like Henery's 57-yard field goal happens, that's when cheering becomes like laughing or crying, because cheering would be the inevitable response. It would be automatic, and not a conscious decision. But the crowd doesn't have to wait for the team to do something spectacular. Nebraska fans don't have to be passive, they just choose to be.

You say that if the team plays like "crap," the fans aren't going to scream and holler, and this is an example of Nebraska fans' expectations getting out of control. There's never going to be a 1995 Nebraska, ever again. There's never going to be a team that just stomps everybody that it's supposed to stomp on paper. It's never going to happen again, not at Nebraska or at any other school. This year, Nebraska is 9-1, and their only loss was by a single TD. Nebraska hasn't always played to their potential this year, but they've never played so bad that it should have taken the crowd out of the game (for that phenomenon, see 2007 Nebraska). It's ok to have high expectations, in fact it's great to have high expectations; that's part of what separates Nebraska. But if you only give the team your full support when they play flawlessly, then you're only going to give the team full support NEVER, which doesn't make you much of a fan.

When I was in high school, I played in the band. My senior year, the student section for basketball absolutely blew chunks. No matter how good or bad the team was, they just sat on their hands, talked to one another, and collectively ignored the game going on in front of them, while the opposing student section would be going crazy making fun of them. So, a few of us in the band decided we would start just screaming our heads off the entire time, and jumping up and down, and anything else a student section should be doing during a basketball game. Before long, the ENTIRE band was doing this, and we were matching the opposing student section for noise. After a playoff game where the team lost by 10 points or so, a few of the players jumped on to our bus and thanked us for actually supporting them.

Now, Nebraska's fans are nowhere close to being as sad as that old student section, but they are passive. It doesn't have to be like that. The crowd can step up and affect the game if it chooses to, without the team bringing them into it.

Cheering your team isn't necessarily like laughing or crying. When a play like Henery's 57-yard field goal happens, that's when cheering becomes like laughing or crying, because cheering would be the inevitable response. It would be automatic, and not a conscious decision. But the crowd doesn't have to wait for the team to do something spectacular. Nebraska fans don't have to be passive, they just choose to be.

You say that if the team plays like "crap," the fans aren't going to scream and holler, and this is an example of Nebraska fans' expectations getting out of control. There's never going to be a 1995 Nebraska, ever again. There's never going to be a team that just stomps everybody that it's supposed to stomp on paper. It's never going to happen again, not at Nebraska or at any other school. This year, Nebraska is 9-1, and their only loss was by a single TD. Nebraska hasn't always played to their potential this year, but they've never played so bad that it should have taken the crowd out of the game (for that phenomenon, see 2007 Nebraska). It's ok to have high expectations, in fact it's great to have high expectations; that's part of what separates Nebraska. But if you only give the team your full support when they play flawlessly, then you're only going to give the team full support NEVER, which doesn't make you much of a fan.

You're still supporting knapplc's argument. The opposing team's student section was your stimulus in this case, instead of the team.

You're still supporting knapplc's argument. The opposing team's student section was your stimulus in this case, instead of the team.

No, they weren't. It's possible that they were the first game, I can't remember that. But we did that the whole season, and there were games where there was no opposing student section. It was just us screaming our heads off and our student section looking at us like we were crazy. We wanted to be loud, to affect the atmosphere, so that's what we did.

Here's what I think about Memorial Stadium, it's not the same environment to come in and play like it was in the 90's, now I know those teams were completely different from those teams from the 00's era but so where the fans, this fan base has become an older generation fanbase, I hear people say all the time at games they want to stand up and be loud but there's a 65 year old lady yelling "Down In Front!" The biggest thing is that we aren't anything compared to down south the SEC has the best fans in college football by far and the reason is because they're younger, and more tailgating heavy and just louder, but that's a knock on the whole Big 12 Texas and Oklahoma included are nothing compared to the SEC no Big 12 school is. One thing that I honestly think would help but would never happen is re-distribute all the tickets as we move to the Big 10, that way more younger generation fans would get them vs. the same people that have had tickets since the 70's. Honestly it won't happen but think about the change in the crowd you'd get the true diehards that show up for the all the tailgating that never get in finally would becuase they would have tickets and it would create a louder atmosphere, it won't happen but that's how you could change the culture.

I didn't read the thread, not even the OP, so forgive me if its been said.... I have a few thoughts on this though.

1) Our crowd IS way too quiet for being 85K strong every game.

2) Our student section is way too small to even be considered an intimidating enviroment.

Now here's my idea... We put the students on the upper decks, once the expansion is complete. IDK how many seats there are on either side, I doubt it's much more than the students curently have. But being put along both sidelines, would help the noise(can you imagin the HUSKER-POWER chant?). It also means the students can stand the whole game without complaint.

The only down side that I can see is that it puts the students above the field more-so than they are now. That might negate some of the noise they make... But if this move is made when the expansion is finished, the noise should just echo, like none-other.

As far as getting the students closer to the field..

the reason they changed things was because people behind them were moaning that they couldn't see, since the students stand on top of the bleachers.

See thats the problem when somebody stands up to cheer, whoever is seating behind that person complains about it and tells that person to sit down or texts security. You cant stand anymore throughout the standing without being harrassed by somebody else telling you to sit down and sometimes to be quite.

Its hard to stand up and cheer for your team without somebody complaining that your blocking their view. I understand that you paid to see the game bla bla bla but I paid to see the game and to stand up and cheer whenever I feel the need to do so. If you want to sit on your arse and watch the game then you should've stayed in the own comfort of your home. People nowadays are just too lazy to stand up whether to watch the game or watch the game and cheer because they rather just sit their arses watching the game. My dads friend who is 61 that has had two knee surgerys and will also have surgery on his hip this December stands during games and yells. If he can stand and cheer/scream than anybody should be able too.

Someday I just wish that our fan base could be as intimidating and loud like LSU, Florida, Penn State, Georgia to name a few. How will Memorial Stadium be like when Michigan, Penn State, tOSU, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin come in to play? Will we be loud from start to finish or will be just sit on our hands and yell at others infront of you to sit down?

I am a strong believe of "If it isn't broke than don't fix it" and the way our crowd has been lately needs to be looked at and fixed if we want Memorial Stadium to be feared place to play at again.