Women's Basketball

Who is sick and tired of seeing statistics of women's basketball being compared to men's? They keep talking about the UConn streak almost breaking the record set by Wooden's UCLA team! How is this even comparable? They are two different sports! As much of a joke that I think women's sports are, even if you take a non-sexist view they are two completely different sports. You don't compare Arena Football statistics to NFL do you? Who's the home run king? It's Barry Bonds (or Hank Aaron), not that Japanese guy that hit 800 some! They are different sports and aren't comparable. They showed a graphic during the Duke game today about today's highest scorers in college basketball, and Maya Moore was on top of the list with 30 points. Under her were all men's players that scored however many points today. I'm sick of these two being compared to each other.

Who is sick and tired of seeing statistics of women's basketball being compared to men's? They keep talking about the UConn streak almost breaking the record set by Wooden's UCLA team! How is this even comparable? They are two different sports! As much of a joke that I think women's sports are, even if you take a non-sexist view they are two completely different sports. You don't compare Arena Football statistics to NFL do you? Who's the home run king? It's Barry Bonds (or Hank Aaron), not that Japanese guy that hit 800 some! They are different sports and aren't comparable. They showed a graphic during the Duke game today about today's highest scorers in college basketball, and Maya Moore was on top of the list with 30 points. Under her were all men's players that scored however many points today. I'm sick of these two being compared to each other.

Winning is an entirely different statistic than anything else inside of a game. Winning is relatively just as hard for women as it is for men. Get over yourself.

• Fire 1

Winning is an entirely different statistic than anything else inside of a game. Winning is relatively just as hard for women as it is for men. Get over yourself.

Ok I'll be sure to do that. Aside from getting over myself, how is winning even comparable? There is clearly less talent in women's basketball than there is in men's. If you want to call that sexist then so be it, but it is a fact. Since there is less talent, all of the top notch talent goes to only a few schools. UConn happens to be one of them along with Duke, UNC, and Baylor. Is the 80 game win streak impressive? Yes it is. It hasn't been done before in their specific sport. But is it comparable to Wooden's record? Not even close.

Cal Ripken must be way more durable than Brett Favre.

Ripken's consecutive starts: 2632

Favre's consecutive starts: 294

Until this streak of UConn hits 300+, please don't compare it to UCLA's.

Ok I'll be sure to do that. Aside from getting over myself, how is winning even comparable? There is clearly less talent in women's basketball than there is in men's. If you want to call that sexist then so be it, but it is a fact. Since there is less talent, all of the top notch talent goes to only a few schools. UConn happens to be one of them along with Duke, UNC, and Baylor. Is the 80 game win streak impressive? Yes it is. It hasn't been done before in their specific sport. But is it comparable to Wooden's record? Not even close.

You're the one comparing, dude.

There is less talent in women's basketball than men's basketball, which means the teams aren't as good, but it also means the teams that win aren't as good. Your argument is the same as me arguing that high school football playoffs are ridiculous because you can't compare a high school state championship to a college or professional conference or national championship, because the players aren't as good. Or, going further, saying that Nebraska's 1970 national championship is pointless and worthless since modern day football championships are way more impressive.

It's relative. The UConn women's basketball team is more relatively better than it's competition than UCLA, or any other college basketball team of either gender, ever has been. There is absolutely no sense in arguing to a fine point what kind of merit that deserves (it sounds like i was doing that in my first post, but I wasn't. Bad words on my part) or doesn't deserve.

There is less talent in women's basketball than men's basketball, which means the teams aren't as good, but it also means the teams that win aren't as good. Your argument is the same as me arguing that high school football playoffs are ridiculous because you can't compare a high school state championship to a college or professional conference or national championship, because the players aren't as good. Or, going further, saying that Nebraska's 1970 national championship is pointless and worthless since modern day football championships are way more impressive.

It's relative. The UConn women's basketball team is more relatively better than it's competition than UCLA, or any other college basketball team of either gender, ever has been. There is absolutely no sense in arguing to a fine point what kind of merit that deserves (it sounds like i was doing that in my first post, but I wasn't. Bad words on my part) or doesn't deserve.

I understand your argument, but when a High School team wins a certain amount of championships, they don't compare it to how many national championships a college team has. Does anybody ever say Nebraska is one National Championship away from tying the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowls? Then they shouldn't be saying UConn is 8 away from UCLA. They should say UConn is extending the all-time women's record for consecutive games won. What really made me mad though was showing a graphic that included Maya Moore's points today with all the men's points. Just annoying that people feel they have to be politically correct rather than admitting that these two sports don't belong together.

And when I'm speaking of talent in women's basketball I'm saying there is top talent. There are great players, but the difference from the great players and the average players is huge. In men's, the average players at middle pack schools can beat the great talent any day because the competition is so close. But in women's, there are a few amazing players that are far better than the average players and all those amazing players only go to a few different schools. That's why it's so easy for UConn to win this much.

What really made me mad though was showing a graphic that included Maya Moore's points today with all the men's points. Just annoying that people feel they have to be politically correct rather than admitting that these two sports don't belong together.

With good reason. This is really stupid.

And when I'm speaking of talent in women's basketball I'm saying there is top talent. There are great players, but the difference from the great players and the average players is huge. In men's, the average players at middle pack schools can beat the great talent any day because the competition is so close. But in women's, there are a few amazing players that are far better than the average players and all those amazing players only go to a few different schools. That's why it's so easy for UConn to win this much.

I don't know how this is more than just personal opinion, or how there is any objective way to substantialize or prove it. Being involved and around a D2 women's basketball program I would be inclined to disagree with you, but only from my personal experience.