Of our 16 penalties...

Landlord

3 were false starts

2 were illegal formations

1 was an intentional grounding call

2 were on Ben Cotton, who was getting raped and reacted in nearly the only way you could expect him to react, but conspiracy or no conspiracy, the reaction gets flagged more often than the initial action

6 were personal fouls or unsportsmanlike, besides Cotton's (1 roughing the passer, 1 on Bo/the sideline, 2 on Eric Martin that were unseen, 2 were late hits, can't remember who)

2 were holding

Out of the 16, 6 (false starts, intentional grounding and illegal formations) were absolutely the right calls, with absolutely no bias or conspiracy against us. Bo's unsportsmanlike was probably warranted, Cotton's weren't but you see that all the time, and the two holding calls were probably right (the problem being the lack of holding calls on A&M's side).

Look, I think this game was trash, and that better officiating would have resulted in a different outcome, but let's face it, we are an undisciplined football team. Where is this coming from and how do we fix it?

Sir no one will argue the point you have made, but you have to have watched the game to deeply understand that officiating was the issue. I'm sure you did watch the game, i will not question that. it starts with the osborne hit, we are off the field getting the ball back tied and a chance to put it on the leg of Alex. bad call. LITERALLY changed the game and gave it away. Pass INT that was picked up that WAS pass interference by every explanation of the rule. watch the film , read the rule. it was obvious. we were called for holding twice. am not once, but boy it was sooooo obvious all night. Lets not try to be class anymore. No more damn excuses for the officials and this conference. it's time to man up and call em out on it, THIS WAS THE ULTIMATE HOSE JOB. The biggest peice of evidence, am had only 2 penalties. Had they had 10-15 as well, i dont think anyone would be nearly as upset. What has been going on all year took a big turn towards blatant tonight.

Sir no one will argue the point you have made, but you have to have watched the game to deeply understand that officiating was the issue. I'm sure you did watch the game, i will not question that. it starts with the osborne hit, we are off the field getting the ball back tied and a chance to put it on the leg of Alex. bad call. LITERALLY changed the game and gave it away. Pass INT that was picked up that WAS pass interference by every explanation of the rule. watch the film , read the rule. it was obvious. we were called for holding twice. am not once, but boy it was sooooo obvious all night. Lets not try to be class anymore. No more damn excuses for the officials and this conference. it's time to man up and call em out on it, THIS WAS THE ULTIMATE HOSE JOB.

As I already said, I don't disagree with you, but that is not at all the point of this thread.

3 were false starts

2 were illegal formations

1 was an intentional grounding call

2 were on Ben Cotton, who was getting raped and reacted in nearly the only way you could expect him to react, but conspiracy or no conspiracy, the reaction gets flagged more often than the initial action

6 were personal fouls or unsportsmanlike, besides Cotton's (1 roughing the passer, 1 on Bo/the sideline, 2 on Eric Martin that were unseen, 2 were late hits, can't remember who)

2 were holding

Out of the 16, 6 (false starts, intentional grounding and illegal formations) were absolutely the right calls, with absolutely no bias or conspiracy against us. Bo's unsportsmanlike was probably warranted, Cotton's weren't but you see that all the time, and the two holding calls were probably right (the problem being the lack of holding calls on A&M's side).

Look, I think this game was trash, and that better officiating would have resulted in a different outcome, but let's face it, we are an undisciplined football team. Where is this coming from and how do we fix it?

By your rather generous run down, roughly 33% of the penalties were unjustified. That's a huge number, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. The six that were VERY questionable were major, major penalties either in yardage, the point in time they occurred, or both. I'd wager to say that maybe half of the yards were unjustified.

75 yards in a tight, low-scoring game is enormous. It's like an extra quarter worth of offense for A&M.

But there's still more: This doesn't reflect the penalties that were not called against A&M. I'm guessing that 2 penalties is not because A&M were a bunch of saints.

And none of this touches on the untangibles that arise in a game that is so one sided. For our part, repeatedly having great plays go for naught due to suspicious flags is really, really demoralizing. At some point, you start to think, "What's the point? The refs are just going to undo whatever good plays we make!" and you loosen your grip a little. And there is also the fact that it makes you play tighter since you're so damn concerned about drawing more flags.

Conversely, for A&M, the fact that they are getting away with stuff only encourages them to be increasingly bold with their play.

The result, then, is that one team is walking on egg shells while the other team feels like they can commit double murder and get away with it. That has an enormous impact that goes far beyond the numbers you referenced.

Your breakdown only highlights the screw job in my opinion. If the game ends with the 6 to 8 Husker penalties you identified along with 4 to 6 against the Aggies, we win the game and no one's screaming conspiracy. But a 16 to 2 penalty margin is a far different story than 8 to 4. 8 to 4 is typical football game. 16 to 2, with blatant blown calls and obvious non calls, is a screw job.

Sir no one will argue the point you have made, but you have to have watched the game to deeply understand that officiating was the issue. I'm sure you did watch the game, i will not question that. it starts with the osborne hit, we are off the field getting the ball back tied and a chance to put it on the leg of Alex. bad call. LITERALLY changed the game and gave it away. Pass INT that was picked up that WAS pass interference by every explanation of the rule. watch the film , read the rule. it was obvious. we were called for holding twice. am not once, but boy it was sooooo obvious all night. Lets not try to be class anymore. No more damn excuses for the officials and this conference. it's time to man up and call em out on it, THIS WAS THE ULTIMATE HOSE JOB.

As I already said, I don't disagree with you, but that is not at all the point of this thread.

Cotton flags where justified -- he kicked a player -- and then said something to the ref -- YES the ref missed the ball grab but he saw the kick and HAD to throw that flag even if the saw the ball grab he would have still thre the flag for the kick. If the fix was in Cotton would have spent the rest of the game in the locker room and would not be playing next week. Just like a punch being thrown! It looked like Bo hit ref with his play card, if so he will writing a check this week. The two calls on Martin, never saw a replay, so I can't say if legit or not. The late hit on the QB was questionable, but after 5 PFs called against NU - anything close was going to be called. Should the PI flag been a no call-- IDK you can hook as long as you dont hold or pull the player. NU did not play well in this game! Refs did them no favors but NU caused a lot of this on their own. 6 PFs!

Cotton flags where justified -- he kicked a player -- and then said something to the ref -- YES the ref missed the ball grab but he saw the kick and HAD to throw that flag even if the saw the ball grab he would have still thre the flag for the kick. If the fix was in Cotton would have spent the rest of the game in the locker room and would not be playing next week. Just like a punch being thrown! It looked like Bo hit ref with his play card, if so he will writing a check this week. The two calls on Martin, never saw a replay, so I can't say if legit or not. The late hit on the QB was questionable, but after 5 PFs called against NU - anything close was going to be called. Should the PI flag been a no call-- IDK you can hook as long as you dont hold or pull the player. NU did not play well in this game! Refs did them no favors but NU caused a lot of this on their own. 6 PFs!

sorry should have said you can make contact not hook them-- hooking will get called

Again, the point of this thread is that of our penalties, probably around half were self destructive and warranted. We are an undisciplined football team, and if we want to be a legitimate contender it needs to stop.

I think we have had issues with discipline the past several years. I think there may be an argument that it is a reflection of the head coach, but I think that's rather tenuous. And even if it were, I'm still behind Bo 100%. He's more than earned his keep around here, but it could be something to cut down on. The sideline penalties are things that just should not happen. I wonder if they would be happening, too, if the refs liked him. Just a bad deal right now.

The most glaring problem for three years now has been OL discipline. For goodness sake, Cotton. OL has to be controlled aggression; I think it requires a lot of concentration, technique, and discipline. Got to rein those boys in somehow. Tigers, but on a leash. We've had far more than our share of false starts, IMO. Maybe every fanbase of every team ever feels that way, though.

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

And what "changes" do you want, oh Oracle of College Football?

Did somebody say something?

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

Again, the point of this thread is that of our penalties, probably around half were self destructive and warranted. We are an undisciplined football team, and if we want to be a legitimate contender it needs to stop.

I think we have had issues with discipline the past several years. I think there may be an argument that it is a reflection of the head coach, but I think that's rather tenuous. And even if it were, I'm still behind Bo 100%. He's more than earned his keep around here, but it could be something to cut down on. The sideline penalties are things that just should not happen. I wonder if they would be happening, too, if the refs liked him. Just a bad deal right now.

The most glaring problem for three years now has been OL discipline. For goodness sake, Cotton. OL has to be controlled aggression; I think it requires a lot of concentration, technique, and discipline. Got to rein those boys in somehow. Tigers, but on a leash. We've had far more than our share of false starts, IMO. Maybe every fanbase of every team ever feels that way, though.

:yeah then another :yeah

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

And what "changes" do you want, oh Oracle of College Football?

Did somebody say something?

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

I didn't appreciate the smart alec comment. Capisce? Learn how to talk to people and maybe you'll get the results you so desire.