Perlman unhappy with Bo's sideline behavior

HuskerNMO

I think people are going to find something to complain about regardless of how things are going (although it's endemic across all spectrums of life, not just as Husker fans). If Bo didn't go ballistic last night, everyone would be asking why Bo wasn't in the ref's ears. Instead, he did and now everyone's complaining about how embarrassing he was. I don't really hold it against Perlman for saying what he did, but agree that it should have "no commented" and handled inside the organization.

As far as not representing Nebraska well or the "that's not how we handle things at Nebraska", in my opinion, I'll take honest, expression of how one feels over all the politically correct BS that "everyone" seems to want to spread around just so someone is not offended. Even if it makes Nebraska look "bad." Even if it makes a booster or three unhappy. I'd bet that at the end of the day, even if it were to cost him his job at Nebraska or future jobs, Bo would rather have done what he did and looked the fool than to have just taken what was happening lying down.

Welcome to the board Wolverine,

The fact that we have a bystander making the same comments that some of us have is the problem. He acknowledges we got hosed but his main comments are about our coach and the display he made last night. His words are what we should be concerned about. The face that Nebraska has today is not what this University has worked for for over 100 years.

I truly hope Bo gets under control, he has made this program a winner again, brought back our pride,but I must honesly say if he embarasses he University again, I will be one of the first to ask for his removal.

It behooves you to remember the language the hallowed Bob Devaney used.

But I wouldn't expect the aging revisionist history buffs who didn't even want Pelini here anyway to cop to that.

Bo was mad, he had a reason to be, and he maybe overreacted, but I'll take him over his predecesor and any replacement we'd have to go ditchdigging for after our fourth coach in 8 years...

Christ how can this even be discussed? This fan base is completely unrealistic. It was bad in the late 90's and I thought Callahan would have sobered people up, but once everyone gets a little taste of success, the sillies come out in droves again.

Some of you are just not getting it. If this happens again it may result in Bo's dismissal, like it or not. It is a different day and age from when Devaney coached. I'm sure he has been warned and had some talks with TO and now Perlman. Like it or not. If it persists the Huskers will be looking for another coach whether you like it or not. I like the one we got! I want him to stay! I'm not in charge and neither are you. But Bo needs to practice what he preaches and show a good example. He was screaming and all over Cotton for his 30 yard penalty without even finding out the facts. So Cotton's reaction was bad but Bo's reactions are good? If you as well as I want to keep Bo as a coach then we better all be hoping that he and Carl straighten up and fly right even under adverse conditions. Don't judge someone when times are going good, judge them when times get tough. Bo failed big time in my eyes last night and compounded the problem. That's strike 2.......

• Fire 1

From ESPN/AP

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5835532

OMAHA, Neb. -- Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman isn't happy with coach Bo Pelini's behavior.

Perlman told The Associated Press on Sunday that Pelini's verbal assault of officials during Saturday's game at Texas A&M did not reflect well on the university or the football program.

The game was televised on ABC, and Perlman called camera shots of Pelini's outbursts "unfortunate." He said he, athletic director Tom Osborne or both of them will address the matter with Pelini. Perlman wouldn't speculate on whether disciplinary action would be taken.

agreed, Bo needs to grow up if he wants to be respected!

Oh god. What is wrong with people? Someone in another thread reminded us how it wasn't long ago we got to watch Callahan calmly pace the sidelines while we were down 30-10 to some completely average team. Now we have some really questionable things going on with officials and it cost us a big game. And Bo passionately wants to win these big games and isn't going hold back his emotion too much.

The fact that this is bothersome to Perlman while the refs situation apparently is not... well, that should be bothersome to us.

JTrain, this is just CYA Harvey in action as usual. As far as I'm concerned, Ol' Harv should just sit in his office, shut up, and let TO do his job. With all the millions Ol' Harv has cost NU over the Callahan/Pedersen contract debacle, he should go back to hiding under his desk where he belongs.

Welcome to the board Wolverine,

The fact that we have a bystander making the same comments that some of us have is the problem. He acknowledges we got hosed but his main comments are about our coach and the display he made last night. His words are what we should be concerned about. The face that Nebraska has today is not what this University has worked for for over 100 years.

I truly hope Bo gets under control, he has made this program a winner again, brought back our pride,but I must honesly say if he embarasses he University again, I will be one of the first to ask for his removal.

It behooves you to remember the language the hallowed Bob Devaney used.

But I wouldn't expect the aging revisionist history buffs who didn't even want Pelini here anyway to cop to that.

Bo was mad, he had a reason to be, and he maybe overreacted, but I'll take him over his predecesor and any replacement we'd have to go ditchdigging for after our fourth coach in 8 years...

Christ how can this even be discussed? This fan base is completely unrealistic. It was bad in the late 90's and I thought Callahan would have sobered people up, but once everyone gets a little taste of success, the sillies come out in droves again.

I fail to see how the actions of a coach almost 40 years ago should be relevent to todays game. Maybe we should go back to slavery, not allowing women to vote and all the other things of the past also.

In this world, you have to have some class and treat people with respect. Bo is supposed to be an example for the players on the team and kids in the stand. He also is the highest profile employee of the University of Nebraska, the way he acted yesterday reflects poorly on the school, community and entire state of Nebraska. Corrupt or not; officials are people of authority, and they don't deserve to be cussed at and intimidated. It's not okay to do that in an office place, or to cuss out a cop like that. Why is it okay on the sideline of a football game?

anyone complaining about how the players or refs or the team feels about the way Bo handles in-game tension obviously has never played or been apart of a college football coach who cussed and screamed to get his point across.

having said that, it does matter to the rest of the State what image we are putting forward. it's kind of like the supreme court decision on obscenity: I can't define obscenity, but I know it when I see it.

It's hard to define what line there is for Bo not to cross, but the mere fact that it is/has been brought up, means that some people see it as being crossed. For me, not so much. But for others, I could see how it's wearing a little thin.

but to suggest that he may be suspended for a game or two, lol...seriously, lol

Some of you are just not getting it. If this happens again it may result in Bo's dismissal, like it or not. It is a different day and age from when Devaney coached. I'm sure he has been warned and had some talks with TO and now Perlman. Like it or not. If it persists the Huskers will be looking for another coach whether you like it or not. I like the one we got! I want him to stay! I'm not in charge and neither are you. But Bo needs to practice what he preaches and show a good example. He was screaming and all over Cotton for his 30 yard penalty without even finding out the facts. So Cotton's reaction was bad but Bo's reactions are good? If you as well as I want to keep Bo as a coach then we better all be hoping that he and Carl straighten up and fly right even under adverse conditions. Don't judge someone when times are going good, judge them when times get tough. Bo failed big time in my eyes last night and compounded the problem. That's strike 2.......

agreed, if we are going to pay him a professional wage, he needs to act professional.

polo,

Your memory always seems to fail you.

I stated that I did not want him here for many reasons, one was his inability to control his temper, but not the main reason. His inability to control the team in San Antonio, was another and his questionable actions in recruiting while at Oklahoma was another. I was shocked he would have been considered, for numerous in house problems he was involved with.

I also stated he was supported by a large booster and was hired long before we were privy to it due to financial dealings from said booster. Weeks before if you remember.

I stopped all support from my family due to those things that I was privy to during that time. I truly expected nothing but continual problems, recruiting and accademicly wise. I was afraid he would run wild and might have a tendency to work against the program rather than for it due to temper issues

I admitted I was totally wrong on Bo and agreed with all on here that he was the right choice. I have supported him since and still do. I think he is a perfect fit for the program other than his actions on the sidelines. I have supported all of his hires, his dismisals of players and his actions with the press.

Bo is Bo, very similar to Coach Devaney, but Devaney was not under the microscope like Bo is.

Last night was not good, and I hope he cleans up his act, he is the face of the University, the people of the State of Nebraska to the rest of the country. I was not proud of him last night. Which I might add I have been for most of his three years here.

I think he will get it this time. He had a similar problem with the VaTech game the first year, Coach Osborne got him under control. Last night was a hose job, why I do not know. But Bo has to be better than that, I know he is and will make the improvements we all want from him.

As I have stated many times, I want us to win, but I am more concerned about the reputation of the University. All my thoughts and actions are for that.

I think Tom had a talk with Bo a couple of years ago??and Bo kinda apologized and was going seek help controlling his anger???I do not remember excactly what it was. I agree it needs to be addressed. that behavior will elicit the ire of officials and result in a lot of penalties.

Perlman probably had to go public for as I think a lot of people are not happy and think the tyrades contributed to last night lopsided penalties.

This is pretty much how I see it. I don't want a new coach, but he can't act like that and keep his job. Just wait and see what ESPN does with those video clips this week. It is bad for recruiting, reputation, image, etc... Being firey is one thing, but blowing your lid (no matter how warranted it is) is not acceptable. Where is self control?

I was PISSED after this game, in fact, I still feel like I watched my dog get run over by a drunk driver that was laughing on his way by. I wanted to be scream and yell and break stuff. But you know what I did? I groaned and grunted and controlled myself. He gets paid way too much to act like a child. His lack of self-control and discipline seems to be showing up in the players as well.

We got screwed. Big time. Have the refs ever changed a call because they got screamed at by the coach? I'm no psychologist, but I don't think fear is the best motivator for college kids. A small dose may help keep them in line, but they need to be lead by example. Bo was acting busch league, and thats the bottom line.

cscott2win,

My feelings exactly. We need him here, but he has to make the efforts to be here. This is a big deal no matter what some think. You can not represent the University of Nebraska like that. It would not surprise me to hear that the Big Ten has made comments to Chancellor Pearlman and Coach Osborne.

Bo = Ben Cotton, kicking the guy who twisted his nutsack.

Harvey Perlman = the ref, flagging the play for 30 yards.

Just like the aTm nutsack play, neither side is in the right. Perlman should have used his giant brain to reign Bo in while at the same time supporting him and NU in this whole thing.