Martin and Marlowe Under Big XII Review

knapplc

Props to Husker Richard for this story, which he linked to in his status. Click the headline for the full article. Excerpt below:

Huskers’ Facebook posts about referees, officials could warrant disciplinary action

By Mitch Smith

Like many Husker fans, Nebraska defensive end Eric Martin's Facebook status said the referees in Saturday's game "suck."

Posts made on the Facebook profiles of Martin and NU wide receiver Tim Marlowe called the officials in Saturday's game "soft" and accused them of incompetence.

While Martin and Marlowe weren't alone among University of Nebraska-Lincoln students in their spirited status updates, the pair might have violated conference rules with their posts.

The posts also targeted opposing players, a Big 12 Conference executive and the conference as a whole.

Those comments, made in the wake of Nebraska's 9-6 loss to Texas A&M, could be subject to penalty under Big 12 conduct rules that bar players from verbally disparaging opponents, referees or conference personnel.

"Anything that is in the public domain that criticizes would be subject to review under that bylaw," said Bob Burda, the Big 12's assistant commissioner for communications.

The Big 12 website lists private or public reprimand, institutional fines and suspension from practice or games as possible punishment for violating conference rules.

Marlowe and Martin are the owners of the two profiles on which the statuses were posted.

Props to Husker Richard for this story, which he linked to in his status. Click the headline for the full article. Excerpt below:

Huskers’ Facebook posts about referees, officials could warrant disciplinary action

By Mitch Smith

Like many Husker fans, Nebraska defensive end Eric Martin's Facebook status said the referees in Saturday's game "suck."

Posts made on the Facebook profiles of Martin and NU wide receiver Tim Marlowe called the officials in Saturday's game "soft" and accused them of incompetence.

While Martin and Marlowe weren't alone among University of Nebraska-Lincoln students in their spirited status updates, the pair might have violated conference rules with their posts.

The posts also targeted opposing players, a Big 12 Conference executive and the conference as a whole.

Those comments, made in the wake of Nebraska's 9-6 loss to Texas A&M, could be subject to penalty under Big 12 conduct rules that bar players from verbally disparaging opponents, referees or conference personnel.

"Anything that is in the public domain that criticizes would be subject to review under that bylaw," said Bob Burda, the Big 12's assistant commissioner for communications.

The Big 12 website lists private or public reprimand, institutional fines and suspension from practice or games as possible punishment for violating conference rules.

Marlowe and Martin are the owners of the two profiles on which the statuses were posted.

Should be no suspensions if it's true. But since we know Dan Beebe only punishes Nebraska doesn't surprise me.

Should be no suspensions if it's true. But since we know Dan Beebe only punishes Nebraska doesn't surprise me.

According to Burda later in the article, "...the conference has never reprimanded an athlete for comments made through social media."

Of course, the conference had never suspended a player for a blindside hit prior to this season as well.

Unless they go a lot deeper in investigation, there is no way to prove that these facebook accounts are run by these guys. I could go on facebook right now and start a profile with the name "knapplc". I'm not going to say they didn't write it, but to suspend them without truly knowing seems unlikely. With that being said, I expect to see Martin and Marlowe not playing until the Big XII Championship.

According to Burda later in the article, "...the conference has never reprimanded an athlete for comments made through social media."

Of course, the conference had never suspended a player for a blindside hit prior to this season as well.

Dan Beebe is only doing this cause we are leaving and we almost broke up the Big 12 according to Texas. I would almost guarantee you nothing would be done if we weren't leaving.

Unless they go a lot deeper in investigation, there is no way to prove that these facebook accounts are run by these guys. I could go on facebook right now and start a profile with the name "knapplc". I'm not going to say they didn't write it, but to suspend them without truly knowing seems unlikely. With that being said, I expect to see Martin and Marlowe not playing until the Big XII Championship.

That's true, but my guess is the teams require the kids to register their accounts with the University, so my guess is this is pretty legit.

If this was FB, you can make your profile private correct? How in the hell would the big 12 know to look at their FB profiles?? But at the same time, that kind of stuff being a student-athlete needs to be kept to yourself, and to let the coaches and the university handle it. I can see some new rules enforced for NU athletes regarding social media coming... Hell people have been fired over posts, would not surprise me if they get suspended. :facepalm:

So the rule doesn't allow disparaging comments about officials. What if the comments are simply statements of fact! Saying the refs sucked in that game doesn't really disparage the officials. Would Beebe have to refute the statements by claiming the refs did a great job? I think Martin and Marlowe are safe, because there's no way to prove that the refs don't actually suck.

• Fire 1

Maybe I'm just underestimating how fast word gets around, but are the Big XII offices employing people to watch out for every trivial way in which players (nevermind that it's two Nebraska players in this case) could disparage the conference online?

I wish NU would stop giving this sham conference so much ammunition. I don't agree with the apparent double standard relative to every other school, but come on people be smarter.