Tired of the National Press

If we were 5-7 it'd be worse. They'd be starting the Bo's-getting-fired rumor mill.

Actually if we are ever 5-7 and Bo and Carl act like that, there would be no rumors, they would be fired. And I dare say that half the members now claiming the did nothing wrong on Sat. Night would be leading the charge to "dump em". Tolerance these days for coaches acting badly is a far cry from what it was even a decade ago, but what has not changed is the lack of tolerance for shinanigans by a losing coach. Mangino would not likely have been fired in 07. Leach would not likely have been fired if the espn whiner's kid came up right after crabtree caught the pass that beat Tejas. last year Mac Brown could have backhanded Colt McCoy and most of the fan base and half their crooked athletic department would claim he was just getting his attention. This year they would give him the pink slip.

Where Bo screwed up is that there will be no "on the other hand" if he has a cluster f of a season and IMO regardless of performance, a meltdown again that ticks off the administration will be the end. One should keep their "get out of jail free card" as long as possible. A lesson for all who have a position where others control your length of employment.

If we were 5-7 it'd be worse. They'd be starting the Bo's-getting-fired rumor mill.

KC radio Kevin Klunk-smeier said today while talking to Jack Harry that if NU loses to CU he is on record that Bo is fired. Then said it was bad for the media because its an easy story to talk about the head Bo-zo from NU. Then he asked Jack what he thought and he didn't think much one way or the other of the ref baiting, but going off on "that kid" was reprehensible. Then Kevin asked how that was different from KSU bball coach Frank Martin. Jack said that's different because Frank is trying to teach the kid and the kid knows Frank has his back and really cares about him.

Huh?

How do you stand listening to that crap?

Its better than watching Big XII refs do a "job"

My big beef with the press is they are trying to make Pelini out to be Bobby Knight. I have had numerous times in the past where you could count the number of F-bombs and S-bombs the opposing Coach of a Nebraska game was letting it fly. Nebraska has always been the "black sheep" of College Football, sometimes the program has done something to shoot itself in the foot, but it's like the media feeds off the negative. I don't know why, but it kinda feels like it's US, (The Cornhuskers), against the world.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because Nebraska is working it's way back to being THE Elite program of College Football.

im actually surprised at the lack of coverage over it. i think nebraska fans are making a bigger deal of it than the rest of the country.

It would be nice if that were true.

LINK

LINK (one of literally dozens from ESPN)

LINK

LINK

i guess i should have said lack of support. ive seen all the stories. after this week, it wont be an issue. a lot of 30 second blurbs from talking heads...but it is really lacking any kind of true support. former co-workers, huge football fans, from around the country are completely non-plussed by it. i still truly feel nebraska fans are beating the horse and throwing it around more than anyone else.

Nebraska fans obsess too much about what the national media says. The talking heads are just a bunch of reactionary douche-bags who don't take the time to understand what's actually important. ESPN is the CNN of sports media, it's complete garbage. In fact, since ESPN started the whole 24-hour news media thing, I'm pretty sure it's fair to blame the entire downfall of American society on them.

All you have to do is show the youtube clips of Courtney Osborne's roughing the passer penalty and the Ben Cotton incident, and any neutral fan out here in Oregon just says, "Wow, no wonder your coach was pissed off."

First I will say this.

I support Bo and have for awhile. Not at first for this very reason.

Bo has the potential to do real damage to his career and the University. This is not a small story. Do you recall ever seeing anything like it before, whether the team was losing or winning. It looks of shades of Woody Hayes. Out of control anger, attacking players, coaches and refs.

You may think the Osborne statement means all is well and forgotten, but I read it as it will never happen again. Period, no apologies, no excuses. Done. Understand it and live with it are your options.

You look at as being a TV attack, but the general public looks at it as how could a University allow such a madman to be associated with young adults. I heard the comments from friends from Canada, although they wanted to know if the officiating had been looked into.

I am not concerned about the swearing. Never hurt a single person, but the screaming uncontrollably at Taylor and the refs was near to being more than that. The wrong response could have evoked harsher reactions. Physical violence was close from what I saw. I have seen many situations like this in the military. You can only push people so far, Bo was near the limit is my guess.

This is and will be a major embarasment for the University for a long time. We will see the media follow him so closely, everything he says or does will be under the camera for the rest of his career. These are not good days for Bo and Nebraska.

How his actions affect recruiting is unknown. But some mothers would never want their child subject to that. We all know that football has screaming coaches, but 99% of them are capable of controlling it and doing it in the right place.

I trust in Coach Osborne. He knows Bo better than any of us. If he thinks he is worth the chance to keep him I am all for it. Bo is a smart man. He just needs to use his head.

But we need to put this in the past. Let the media do their thing, we can not stop it, all we can do is support the team and Bo.

I will be doing so Friday.

• Fire 2

First I will say this.

I support Bo and have for awhile. Not at first for this very reason.

Bo has the potential to do real damage to his career and the University. This is not a small story. Do you recall ever seeing anything like it before, whether the team was losing or winning. It looks of shades of Woody Hayes. Out of control anger, attacking players, coaches and refs.

You may think the Osborne statement means all is well and forgotten, but I read it as it will never happen again. Period, no apologies, no excuses. Done. Understand it and live with it are your options.

You look at as being a TV attack, but the general public looks at it as how could a University allow such a madman to be associated with young adults. I heard the comments from friends from Canada, although they wanted to know if the officiating had been looked into.

I am not concerned about the swearing. Never hurt a single person, but the screaming uncontrollably at Taylor and the refs was near to being more than that. The wrong response could have evoked harsher reactions. Physical violence was close from what I saw. I have seen many situations like this in the military. You can only push people so far, Bo was near the limit is my guess.

This is and will be a major embarasment for the University for a long time. We will see the media follow him so closely, everything he says or does will be under the camera for the rest of his career. These are not good days for Bo and Nebraska.

How his actions affect recruiting is unknown. But some mothers would never want their child subject to that. We all know that football has screaming coaches, but 99% of them are capable of controlling it and doing it in the right place.

I trust in Coach Osborne. He knows Bo better than any of us. If he thinks he is worth the chance to keep him I am all for it. Bo is a smart man. He just needs to use his head.

But we need to put this in the past. Let the media do their thing, we can not stop it, all we can do is support the team and Bo.

I will be doing so Friday.

You can't control perception. Bo will probably always be seen in many circles as the guy with a temper who yells at people. Tom Osborne will always be known in many circles as the guy who played Lawrence Phillips. People will see what they want to see.

• Fire 1

This, too, shall pass. And pretty quickly, too. CCG season is upon us, Bowl Season is nearly on us, and soon this will be largely forgotten - as long as there are no recurrences. Sure, they'll trot out video of Bo going ballistic this year when they do all their pre-game background stuff during next season, but they'll play it both ways, and as time wears on the glaring disparity of these penalties being called (and not called) will come to the surface as well.

IF Bo gets his temper under control, IF there are no more outbursts this year, and IF we finish strong, this will go away. People have seen dozens of coaches light into players. People have seen dozens of coaches light into refs. 99% of the people consuming this news will see a 30-second clip of Bo going after a referee and not the whole game. Those who saw the whole game, if they're unbiased, very clearly noted the disparity in penalties called, which mitigated Bo's response in their eyes.

We're making a bigger deal out of this than anyone else.

Personally, i have a perspective different from most if not all others. I put the negative media attention of this all on Pearlman. I have never been a big fan of the guy and his comments Sunday stirred this whole pot. If he'd kept his mouth shut and spoke with Bo privately it would all been settled and Bo would not have had to open up the can of worms to begin the Press conference. It happens the way it did and the National media is "NU Chancellor uncomfortable with Bo's behavior" "Bo apologizes" "Osborne supports Bo" Pearlman doesnt want negative attention but yet he brought it all on by doing what he did.

• Fire 2

Personally, i have a perspective different from most if not all others. I put the negative media attention of this all on Pearlman. I have never been a big fan of the guy and his comments Sunday stirred this whole pot. If he'd kept his mouth shut and spoke with Bo privately it would all been settled and Bo would not have had to open up the can of worms to begin the Press conference. It happens the way it did and the National media is "NU Chancellor uncomfortable with Bo's behavior" "Bo apologizes" "Osborne supports Bo" Pearlman doesnt want negative attention but yet he brought it all on by doing what he did.

Totally agree. Perlman should have kept his mouth shut. This was something for TO to handle, not him. Harvey has a penchant for the limelight and as a lawyer has to talk (trust me, he was a professor of mine).

The Taylor martinez incident will haunt Bo Pelini for the rest of his career because of recruiting. Every single coach who competes with pelini for a recruit will pull this out. It's a guarantee.

You're right maybe next time instead of yelling at Taylor, Bo should've gave him a bottle.