Instant Replay

mcrooks7

Ok. After the Maine game I was a little upset. In the debut week of the instant replay system for the Big 12, the replay system was used a grand total of seven times. Five of those times were in the Husker's game. And many times it seemed trivial. For instance, reviewing whether or not a catch has been made that resulted in a two yard difference really isn't review worthy material. The other calls were a little suspect, and perhaps the system was warrented. But trivial calls like this need to be let go, because the interuption has the potential of killing any and all momentum a team may or may not have at the time the thing is called. There are always plays that could be reviewed and discovered that there is some kind of penalty happening, or that there is some minor problem occuring. But do we really need to extend the game looking for them? However, I temper my comments with the example from the Pitt game, wherein, apparently, even this new Godsend is unable to help. After a clear fumble, the play is ruled an incomplete pass. After a brief instant replay review, it becomes clear to all who are watching that the Pitt QB fumbled the ball. Pittsburgh thankfully lollygags back to the line, and delays calling the play, giving the guy upstairs enough time to call the buzzer and start the review. At this point, everyone and thier mother could tell that Nebraska was going to get the ball, and the Pitt drive would end. The announcers are even quoted as saying "When Nebraska gets the ball after this review..." Then, a miraculous thing occurs. The guy upstairs gives the ball back to Pitt, who then manages to put up points on the board. How did this system fail us? Should we not have gotten that ball back. Was it not obvious this was the correct call? Was there not, "Indisputable Video Evidence?" Why did this system fail us? I simply do not understand. Maybe we need more than one guy reviewing the replay, or maybe we should have some system of security to avoid allowing that one guy to be paid off to make desicions ... :P Anyway... My rant is over. But I wish someone could explain this thing to me.

Instant replay, in my opinion, is not a problem at all.

But besides that, was the play called a fumble or an incomplete pass on the field? I thought it was called, originally, by the refs, an incomplete pass.

Anyhow, instant replay is just like any other factor in the game. I will always be for the truth, anything that shows the truth, and never want to take away from the truth. However, human error is always a factor.

From what I heard, both teams got some major breaks at different points in the game.

NU got a pass interference call to go their way, when many people were sure it was on the NU receiver instead, even the radio announcers. It was on a third and megalong, if I remember correctly.

So, really, everyteam has good or bad days with the refs.

Bottom line: No team should EVER allow a game to be too close for a couple of bad calls to change the outcome. And if it that is the case, then the other team has the right to a victory, if you allow it to get that close in the first place.

You can't control what refs call, but you can control how much it impacts the game by how well you preform. If NU scored 2 more TDs on offense, that play you speak of would not be remembered at all, I don't think.

I agree, they got some breaks.. we got some breaks. However; the reviewed call of an incomplete pass really pissed me off. There was absolutely no sign of his arm going forward.. result.. fumble. Listening to the radio on the way home I heard a good point. Guy said that in the NFL the refs tend to call it a fumble in that situation, then it's up to the booth to overturn it as an imcomplete pass... they would have to see the arm going forward to overturn it. If that would have been called a fumble on the field, we would have gotten it after the review.

The review system in the Big 12 has not been impressive. I think it's giving the refs a little leeway to make 'stupid' calls. I think in tough situations they're calling it conservative and letting the replay guys deal with it. That's not so cool.

Refs, call it like you would have a year ago. Big 12, give the damn coaches a flag for crying out loud. This system sucks, and I want it gone, or make it look like the one that has succeeded.. the NFL.