SIGNED DE Joseph Carter*

gratefullred

I actually think this speaks more about the back seven and the conference shift than it does about the line. If we have the personel to run the Peso and it works in the Big Ten great, but if not a guy like Carter in the mix would give us some extra flexibility to do some different things. We lose a TON of talent in the secondary after this year and depending on what the staff sees out of our secondary going forward and what they think will work best going into the Big Ten conference it's quite possible that a couple guys now listed as DE's could end up being linebackers next year. A JUCO guy gives us another body that is ready to play next year which could make a potential transition easier to make if one has to be made.

which of our DE's do you think can play linebacker?

in any case, i think this idea that we have to make significant changes to our defensive style to match up with the behemoths of the north continues to be way overblown.

Kevin Thompsen can play linebacker (he actually was one before we switched to a more nickel based defense) and Walker Ashburn is 6'2, about 240 and runs about a 4.8 40 and would be a solid linebacker as well. Cam Meredith also definitely can but I doubt we move him and he's a bit big for the position though he can stand up in certain situations and play a hybrid 3-4 role. We've got a bunch of ends that are sub 250 and others that are in the 265 range. It isn't like we can't move guys around to fit what we want to do against different teams.

Now, Yes some of the stuff out there is overblown.. The Peso WILL work in the Big Ten. Ohio State has adapted some of our stuff in what they call a star defense package and it works well against certain teams... But again, using the Peso or not using the Peso as a base defense has just as much if not more to do with the personnel we have on hand as it does with the teams we face and depending on what the coaches see the young guys doing is what is driving the decisions they make both in recruiting and in defensive style. Of course we aren't going to abandon the peso defense and make our guys look like our 2007 squad of fat mountains of slowness, but I think that we'll still use the Peso heavily against teams like Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue... but it isn't inconceivable at all to see more 3 linebacker sets with more bulked up guys against teams like Wisconsin and sometimes against teams like Iowa and Michigan State.

I actually think this speaks more about the back seven and the conference shift than it does about the line. If we have the personel to run the Peso and it works in the Big Ten great, but if not a guy like Carter in the mix would give us some extra flexibility to do some different things. We lose a TON of talent in the secondary after this year and depending on what the staff sees out of our secondary going forward and what they think will work best going into the Big Ten conference it's quite possible that a couple guys now listed as DE's could end up being linebackers next year. A JUCO guy gives us another body that is ready to play next year which could make a potential transition easier to make if one has to be made.

in any case, i think this idea that we have to make significant changes to our defensive style to match up with the behemoths of the north continues to be way overblown.

Kevin Thompsen can play linebacker (he actually was one before we switched to a more nickel based defense) and Walker Ashburn is 6'2, about 240 and runs about a 4.8 40 and would be a solid linebacker as well. Cam Meredith also definitely can but I doubt we move him and he's a bit big for the position though he can stand up in certain situations and play a hybrid 3-4 role. We've got a bunch of ends that are sub 250 and others that are in the 265 range. It isn't like we can't move guys around to fit what we want to do against different teams.

Now, Yes some of the stuff out there is overblown.. The Peso WILL work in the Big Ten. Ohio State has adapted some of our stuff in what they call a star defense package and it works well against certain teams... But again, using the Peso or not using the Peso as a base defense has just as much if not more to do with the personnel we have on hand as it does with the teams we face and depending on what the coaches see the young guys doing is what is driving the decisions they make both in recruiting and in defensive style. Of course we aren't going to abandon the peso defense and make our guys look like our 2007 squad of fat mountains of slowness, but I think that we'll still use the Peso heavily against teams like Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue... but it isn't inconceivable at all to see more 3 linebacker sets with more bulked up guys against teams like Wisconsin and sometimes against teams like Iowa and Michigan State.

Considering the versatility of Hagg was one of the main reasons for the Peso, his absense might negate it's effectiveness. I don't see another talent quite like him on the roster at this point. There's nothing wrong w/ going back to a more traditional set to utilize sean fisher, williams, and david more. I see our talent shifting more towards the linebackers next year, whereas this year it is a glaring weakness. our pass defense last year was aided by our pass rush. This years pass rush has been aided by our pass coverage. next year I see us shifting to a more traditional approach, with a quicker pass rush to help out are pass defense again. I like the defenses ability to compensate for weakness.

A bit of the subject, but here are my thoughts on a peso scheme in the Big Ten.

Eric Hagg this year was a guy who was great in coverage and could also help a lot in run support, but make no mistakes his strengths were in coverage.

Lavonte David could possibly switch to the peso and here is why. In the Big Ten you see some spread offenses, but you see a big more run heavy teams than you do in the Big Twelve. So David is a guy who's strengths are in run support, but he can also help out a lot in coverage. For example, I don't think David would have too much trouble covering a 5th WR in the Big Ten. This would free him up to just fly around wherever and make plays, which is pretty much exactly what he does now. So we still are in a peso, but just modified to the styles of offense that the other teams play.

A bit of the subject, but here are my thoughts on a peso scheme in the Big Ten.

Eric Hagg this year was a guy who was great in coverage and could also help a lot in run support, but make no mistakes his strengths were in coverage.

Lavonte David could possibly switch to the peso and here is why. In the Big Ten you see some spread offenses, but you see a big more run heavy teams than you do in the Big Twelve. So David is a guy who's strengths are in run support, but he can also help out a lot in coverage. For example, I don't think David would have too much trouble covering a 5th WR in the Big Ten. This would free him up to just fly around wherever and make plays, which is pretty much exactly what he does now. So we still are in a peso, but just modified to the styles of offense that the other teams play.

I believe when David signed there was some talk of him backing up Hagg at rover/peso. It takes a phenom to play the position and they both fit that bill.

i have no reason to believe that thomsen (or any of our other DE's) have the speed or ability to play LB at a high level.

i do agree with other posts here though that the peso package is dependent upon having someone with the talent to make it work. i've also posted previously that i would consider lavonte for the position if the other linebackers (specifically whaley or fisher) could replace him. peso truly is a linebacker position as it is. it is just that bo requires that OLB to have high level cover skills. supposedly, cassidy is slated to be the peso next year.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...