Dallas Trip

So I thought I'd tell you guys a fairly amusing story of my trip to the Big 12 championship last year. So in all there was going to be my dad, me, three of my cousins and one of their friends on this crazy trip to Dallas. All of them were legal drinking age except for my sixteen year old self. Well one of my cousin coaches high school basketball, so we decided we would wait for him. His game was over at about 10 o clock at night on Friday, and after the game was over we all met at York about eleven, seeing a few of us live in Columbus, Lincoln, and Humphrey.

We met at a truck stop in York, and we had previously decided to take my family's minivan. So six of us eventually packed into this enclosed space and were off to Dallas. Well a couple miles outside of York, my father was pulled over by a state trooper going 15 over. Slight setback as he was given a $150 ticket (so much for getting to Dallas earlier than intended by speeding). Well mu dad drove all night, as my cousins booz it up and sleep. We eventually hit Dallas about 10 in the morning, and trust me I recommend driving at night because time seems to fly.

We arrived at a hotel a couple miles from the Jerry Dome (Studio Plus if anyone needs a hotel, very nice place (:). Well as we walked in, the hotel wreaked of a certain green substance that rhymes with hakuna matata. I'm not going to go into which race this man was, but let's just say his eyes definitely bled Husker Red. Well after we Febreezed our room a bit, one of my cousins, me, and my Dad decided to head out to a bar not to far away. And it happened to be a bar with North Texas Nebraskans all over, which by the way is an excellent organization. So we ate some wings, my cuz took a few shots, and we headed back to the hotel. We then took a long nap, showered, and decided to leave for the game about 3am. We tailgated by our car for awhile, and my cousins got pretty lit (that will come up later).

We then decided to walk to a tailgate that a friend of my father's was hosting. This friend was expected to die of cancer, and my dad wanted to see him since he lives in Dallas. Happily, we went down to College Station and his friend is still alive and doing just great, which is a great thing. Well as we were walking to this RV, one of my cousins was continually yelling "Steers and Queers" to seemingly every Texas fan he saw (bad idea, but well intended). Well as we were at the tailgate, that same cousin decided to take a piss on a Texas RV, and a struggle continued almost immediately. My cousin was seemingly clotheslined by a Texas fan, and a sort of brawl was started. Until my 6 foot 4 inch 220 pound cousin the brother of my cousin, decided to put the guy in a chokehold, and he then held it until he was unconscious, and we immediately left. I know sounds a bit sketchy, but every part of it was true. Well as we are walking into Jerry Stadium, my cousin realized when he was punched that he lost his glasses. So he had to run back to the RV, apologize for being a deusch, and then grab his glasses out from the bottom of a trash can. Well he really wanted to see the game.

The game eventually began, and we all shared a Texas size Frito Pie worth $10, trust me it is an excellent use of cash. Well as Alex Henery eventually kicked the game winner I saw my dad begin to shed a few tears, and I didn't blame him because I knew our love for the game. Well then we all know what eventually happened. McCoy rolled out looked to his right, threw it out of bounds, and I was watching the clock the entire time. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. I saw that clock hit zero, and I immediately thought we had upset the mighty Longhorns. I jumped into my dad's arms, and he said what happened, and I was like the clock ran out. He was twirling my 170lb frame around, and he is even lighter than me. As I put my finger in the air and was yelling we're number 1. Then about five seconds later the referre said it was under review. Well we then know what eventually happened. Never have I been to a game where I celebrate a victory and a loss. But that 20 seconds where I thought we won was some of the best twenty seconds I have had in my young life as a husker fan.

We then went back to the hotel, and sulked our tears in alcohol, well not me exactly ;). It then took 14 hours to drive back to York and then eventually Columbus. Because if anyone remembers driving home that Sunday, there was a blanket of snow coming down around Wichita, and it was not a good thing at all. But at least we had the Nebraska v Creighton basketball game to listen to, which really capped the weekend of husker losses, damn Bluejays. But it was a great trip, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Hope you enjoyed "my experience". any questions about Dallas, hotel reservations, or parking just ask.