All that is Right with College Football

Hercules

In the land of the pickup truck and cream gravy for breakfast, down where the wind can blow through the walls of a diner and into the grieving lyrics of a country song on a jukebox—down there in dirt-kicking Big Eight territory—they played a football game on Thanksgiving Day that was mainly for the quarterbacks on the field and for self-styled gridiron intellectuals everywhere. The spectacle itself was for everybody, of course, for all of those who had been waiting weeks for Nebraska to meet Oklahoma, or for all the guys with their big stomachs and bigger Stetsons, and for all the luscious coeds who danced through the afternoons drinking daiquiris out of paper cups. But the game of chess that was played with bodies, that was strictly for the cerebral types who will keep playing it into the ages and wondering whether it was the greatest collegiate football battle ever. Under the agonizing conditions that existed, it well may have been...

--- Dan Jenkins, Sports Illustrated; December 6th, 1971.

There's Reggie Bush forfeiting his Heisman Trophy, and USC forfeiting its national championship. There's Cam Newton and pay-for-play, there's Nick Fairley spearing quarterbacks, and there's Gene Chizik declining comment as Auburn streaks toward a national title. There's the Big 12, Dan Beebe, death threats, shoddy officiating, and name-calling galore. There's the sham that is the BCS, the farce that is the bowl system, and there's 5-time national champion Nebraska leaving century-old rivals for a new conference.

There's a lot wrong with college football. But this Saturday night, two programs that decided so many conference and national championships over so many years will meet one last time to decide one more championship.

Forget Dan Beebe. Forget the refs, forget the Big 12 and the Big Ten, forget Cam Newton and pay-for-play, and forget the BCS. This Saturday night will mark the final chess match in a rivalry unlike any other in college football, a rivalry built not on hatred, but on greatness and mutual respect.

This is Nebraska - Oklahoma. This is all that is right with college football.

• Fire 4

I don't think I can handle another huge disappointment like I've seen over and over for the past few years. We've got to win this one. If we don't, I won't be able to function :wacko: (at least if it's like any of the heart-wrenching losses over the past two years, excluding Texas Tech I guess).

I don't think I can handle another huge disappointment like I've seen over and over for the past few years. We've got to win this one. If we don't, I won't be able to function :wacko: (at least if it's like any of the heart-wrenching losses over the past two years, excluding Texas Tech I guess).

Welcome to what the season ending Nebraska/Oklahoma game is supposed to feel like my friend!

In the land of the pickup truck and cream gravy for breakfast, down where the wind can blow through the walls of a diner and into the grieving lyrics of a country song on a jukebox—down there in dirt-kicking Big Eight territory—they played a football game on Thanksgiving Day that was mainly for the quarterbacks on the field and for self-styled gridiron intellectuals everywhere. The spectacle itself was for everybody, of course, for all of those who had been waiting weeks for Nebraska to meet Oklahoma, or for all the guys with their big stomachs and bigger Stetsons, and for all the luscious coeds who danced through the afternoons drinking daiquiris out of paper cups. But the game of chess that was played with bodies, that was strictly for the cerebral types who will keep playing it into the ages and wondering whether it was the greatest collegiate football battle ever. Under the agonizing conditions that existed, it well may have been...

--- Dan Jenkins, Sports Illustrated; December 6th, 1971.

a rivalry unlike any other in college football, a rivalry built not on hatred, but on greatness and mutual respect.

This is Nebraska - Oklahoma. This is all that is right with college football.

beautifully written article.

this one line epitomizes the Nebraska-Oklahoma relationship. its isnt osu-michigan or ND-USC where its nothing but disrespect. this truly is unlike anything in sports.

after reading this im not looking forward so much to the result as i am to shaking a sooners hand at the end of the game. its been one hell of a ride

The rosy glasses of nostalgia can be distorted. Let's not kid ourselves, there were a lot of messed up things going on in college FB during the Big 8 days and there still are obviously. I'm looking foreword to this game as much as anyone but in a way it symbolizes things that never were with the Big 12.

The rosy glasses of nostalgia can be distorted. Let's not kid ourselves, there were a lot of messed up things going on in college FB during the Big 8 days and there still are obviously. I'm looking foreword to this game as much as anyone but in a way it symbolizes things that never were with the Big 12.

The SMU death penalty. Woody Hayes striking an opposing player. Those are things off the top of my head.

Welcome to what the season ending Nebraska/Oklahoma game is supposed to feel like my friend!

:yeah