Check this out... OU Student Newspaper

:laughpound

this is great! now i know we're not the only ones seeing this

as for more realignment over the summer, it will happen. but the longhorn conference already lost out on its strongest candidate in TCU...which they didnt even treat like one to begin with. i fully expect the SEC to re-offer a spot to aTm and im expecting aTm to accept. after the year theyve had and how they smoked the pathetic "kings of the conference" theres no reason for them not to.

i know the ou fans just want out, preferably to the SEC, and with an SEC being forced to expand again or risk falling behind other conferences, that situation may become interesting. that whole "OUs good for UT, and UTs good for OU" b.s. made their fans sick.

lets not forget that any other teams like KU, ISU, Baylor, and TT will jump on nearly ANY offer that comes their way. man, its good to see karma working!

This is exactly right. There were very few Sooner fans happy with the decision to stay with the Big Two (as both Sooner and UT fans call it now that the Huskers are departing), and the statewide consensus was that we should have gone to the Pac 10 or the SEC.

But here's the deal (and most folks outside of Oklahoma are unaware of it): the decision to stay in the "Big 12" was made in open defiance of the vast majority of Oklahoman's wishes by OU President David Boren, and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. For whatever reason - there is much speculation down here about this, by the way - they both thumbed their noses at those wishes, and then basically told the rest of the state to "get over it."

And how, exactly, were two public servants - whose salaries are paid with Oklahoma taxpayer's dollars - able to get away with such unmitigated arrogance and effrontery?

It turns out that decades ago the OK state legislature "delegated" such decisions, without the slightest chance of review or oversight, to those two officials, no questions asked. Indeed, after this colossal blunder of a decision, a law repealing that awesome power left in the hands of just two people without the slightest chance of review or oversight passed the OK legislature, and specifically in reaction to their (Boren & Castiglione's) arrogant decision. It passed the legislature, but then was vetoed by the Governor - a longtime friend, supporter, & dedicated political fellator of David Boren.

All of that aside, the truth is that the "Big 12" is unlikely to last in any configuration for even five years, let alone through the end of the decade. There is much, much, much disgruntlement about that decision down here because of it, and the weight of democracy cannot be denied forever: this time next year, with a new governor, that bill will pass, and when the remnants of the "Big 12" eventually falls apart we will be gone, just like you guys already are.

I only wish our Universities leadership had had your vision in 2010, and we'd be gone now. Of course, there are ugly rumors that OU's failure to depart with Nebraska and CU to other conferences had nothing to do with vision, but with other motivations....

Regardless, I can't wait till we follow NU & Colorado's lead, and abandon this useless conference like we should have when you guys did. Period.

Where would you like to see OU end up after the conference realignment sorts itself out?

:laughpound

this is great! now i know we're not the only ones seeing this

as for more realignment over the summer, it will happen. but the longhorn conference already lost out on its strongest candidate in TCU...which they didnt even treat like one to begin with. i fully expect the SEC to re-offer a spot to aTm and im expecting aTm to accept. after the year theyve had and how they smoked the pathetic "kings of the conference" theres no reason for them not to.

i know the ou fans just want out, preferably to the SEC, and with an SEC being forced to expand again or risk falling behind other conferences, that situation may become interesting. that whole "OUs good for UT, and UTs good for OU" b.s. made their fans sick.

lets not forget that any other teams like KU, ISU, Baylor, and TT will jump on nearly ANY offer that comes their way. man, its good to see karma working!

This is exactly right. There were very few Sooner fans happy with the decision to stay with the Big Two (as both Sooner and UT fans call it now that the Huskers are departing), and the statewide consensus was that we should have gone to the Pac 10 or the SEC.

But here's the deal (and most folks outside of Oklahoma are unaware of it): the decision to stay in the "Big 12" was made in open defiance of the vast majority of Oklahoman's wishes by OU President David Boren, and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. For whatever reason - there is much speculation down here about this, by the way - they both thumbed their noses at those wishes, and then basically told the rest of the state to "get over it."

And how, exactly, were two public servants - whose salaries are paid with Oklahoma taxpayer's dollars - able to get away with such unmitigated arrogance and effrontery?

It turns out that decades ago the OK state legislature "delegated" such decisions, without the slightest chance of review or oversight, to those two officials, no questions asked. Indeed, after this colossal blunder of a decision, a law repealing that awesome power left in the hands of just two people without the slightest chance of review or oversight passed the OK legislature, and specifically in reaction to their (Boren & Castiglione's) arrogant decision. It passed the legislature, but then was vetoed by the Governor - a longtime friend, supporter, & dedicated political fellator of David Boren.

All of that aside, the truth is that the "Big 12" is unlikely to last in any configuration for even five years, let alone through the end of the decade. There is much, much, much disgruntlement about that decision down here because of it, and the weight of democracy cannot be denied forever: this time next year, with a new governor, that bill will pass, and when the remnants of the "Big 12" eventually falls apart we will be gone, just like you guys already are.

I only wish our Universities leadership had had your vision in 2010, and we'd be gone now. Of course, there are ugly rumors that OU's failure to depart with Nebraska and CU to other conferences had nothing to do with vision, but with other motivations....

Regardless, I can't wait till we follow NU & Colorado's lead, and abandon this useless conference like we should have when you guys did. Period.

Where would you like to see OU end up after the conference realignment sorts itself out?

I would think the SEC is the best fit for them. Can't get in the Big 10 because of academics, and I think they'd chafe being regarded as hicks by the Left Coasties in the Pac 12.

Excellent article!

I still believe that TCU is not a good fit for the Big 12 (think $$$$$).

Conference USA was drooling at the mouth for the Big 12 to fail......they even put out a press release......

Conference USA is rapidly preparing to compete for the remaining Big 12 members if the meltdown continues to a full implosion.
ECU AD Message

Same goes for the Big East....

The BIG XII will fail at some point in the near future. I will be interested to see how Colorado/Utah does in the Pac-12??? I don't think they will do so hot.

Good Blog I read when Conference Reliament was taking place----Blog Source

TCU brings absolutely nothing in regards to what realignment was about over the last year to the big 12. It's a small school, with a small stadium, that dominates a usually poor conference and exists in a TV market already covered by Texas, Texas A&M, TTech, and Baylor. In a recruiting area already dominated by the big 12. They would do absolutely nothing to add value to a league that's already made some pretty sketchy promises as far as money distribution.

And lets say the league does fall apart, adding TCU means Texas has one more state school leeching on to it in any potential negotiations. Whose alumni and supporters in Texas politics (and this most likely why the pac16 didn't happen without Baylor in over CU) would be trying to threaten Texas's oil fund money.

So while I think the writer is correct about who pulls Beebe's strings and the completely self serving interests of his Longhorn puppet-masters. Adding TCU makes almost no sense for the conference.

Where as the big east, well that gains TCU a AQ conference, and opens up the Texas recruiting to the big east schools a bit as well as if TCU continues their success gives them a foothold in the Dallas TV market.

Don't know if this was said or not, but OU didn't move to the SEC because the SEC wanted only OU and aTm, but OZu wanted them to take their little brother (osu). SEC said no, so OU didn't take the offer. Will they say something differnet next year? Who knows, but I do know they like the rivalry.

Also you have to remember that KU's strong point is their baseketball and any conference will take them because of it.

The Big Eight.... :cheers

....in all seriousness, I was rooting for OU to join the PAC conference when all this was going on, but as many other posters have pointed out here the SEC would probably have been a better fit for us. I have a feeling that, before this decade is out, there is about a 50-50 likelihood that Oklahoma will be an SEC team. Regardless, we won't be in the left over remnants of the Big 12. Just IMHO.

I'm confused by this.

Why is it improper for the decision of a school's athletic conference affiliation to be left in the hands of its Athletic Director and President? Where would oversight come from? Or do you mean there's no board of regents involved either. It just seemed like you are saying there used to be state gov oversight, am I misreading?

I think the Big12 can be a stable conference again. I know Texas wants to go independent, A&M wants to go to the SEC, Mizzou wants into the Big10. The problem is that one of the big conferences, Big10, SEC, PAC12 would have to expand to 16 teams. I dont want to say that it cant work, but it is a risk.

The only time a conference went past 12 teams was when the WAC picked up the left overs of the SWC and a few other schools in 1996 when "the four TX schools" joined the Big 8. The experiment lasted 2 years then the conference split up WAC, MTN, and a few to C-USA.

All these power conferences have everything they want, except the PAC12 wants another time zone. Which one is going to risk all that they have been able to build at the risk of going the way of the WAC? I know it is different money, but that makes it more of a risk.

I think the Big12 will last. Not happily, but it will last. I am happy for ISU, KSU, KU, MU because their athletic departments would get about 25% of what they currently get without the Big12. NU got the golden ticket everyone of these schools was hoping for. I see no need to further beat them down, I hope they succeed.

I'm confused by this.

Why is it improper for the decision of a school's athletic conference affiliation to be left in the hands of its Athletic Director and President? Where would oversight come from? Or do you mean there's no board of regents involved either. It just seemed like you are saying there used to be state gov oversight, am I misreading?

You are right to be confused, because I worded it confusingly. Let me try to clarify:

The state's universities used to have to get approval from the state legislature before they could impose tuition hikes in future academic years. To get that approval, university officials and their respective Board of Regents - specifically, the Chancellors of Higher Education - had to come before committees in the state legislature (House & Senate, respectively), and make their case for both tuition hikes & other revenue-related issues the schools might be facing.

Naturally, this made the leadership of those institutions at least somewhat sensitive to the pulse of public opinion, since things they might have wanted (tuition hikes; better funding; etc., etc.) were contingent upon the actions of the publicly elected representatives of the state of Oklahoma.

At some point many years back, the state legislature decided to remove themselves entirely from any kind of substantive oversight of the state universities in this regard whatsoever, by statue. So, whenever the matter of funding the state's university system comes up, the legislature as a body basically - and by their own action years ago - have one of two choices: they can either vote the budget as presented, and keep the state's higher education schools open, or they can vote it down, and shutter the University of Oklahoma and all other public colleges. They are never going to do the latter, for obvious reasons.

I'm simplifying things a bit for brevity - it's more complicated than that, though not by much.

The bottom line is that there absolutely nothing our state legislature could have done, by their past tying of their own ability to control the purse-strings, to influence the leadership of University of Oklahoma to do what the vast, vast, vast majority of Oklahoman's wanted them to do: abandon the Big 12. No serious person would suggest simply voting down any appropriations for the states universities, and having them close up shop, even over so egregious a thumbing-of-the-nose over the people of Oklahoma's wishes as this.

So, the University of Oklahoma - and all the other state colleges - are simply the oyster, more or less, of whoever happens to be president of same: he/she pretty much gets to call whatever shots they want on "their" campus.

Now, I understand the principle in theory: much of this sort of thing was pushed through after both Watergate and the massive Oklahoma county commissioner scandal locally of the late seventies/early eighties, and was implemented as part of a "clean government" reform.

In practice, however, it has left OU in the shattered remnants of the now ridiculous "Big 12"; an unseemly desire on the part of OU's management to follow Texas around like puppy dogs and do whatever the powers-that-be in Austin want; and a smarmy, supercilious dismissal of the vast majority of Oklahoman's concerns from the University's powers-that-be with a wave of the hand, and the public-relations equivalent of "yeah, well, we know better. Get over it."

Sorry for the imprecision of my earlier explanation; hope I was able to clear things up. :)

once OU figures out what Texas is doing here, they will be gone.....couple years tops. they are a little slow in Okieville, but they'll get it. :moreinteresting

I agree with you that we will be gone, and hopefully sooner rather than later, but most of Okieville figured out what Texas was trying to pull from Day One: it was two men, unaccountable to anyone, more or less, who made this dreadful decision for Oklahoma. The vast majority of Sooner fans either wanted to go to the SEC, or to the PAC 12.

I highly doubt that OU will join the PAC. If anything the SEC. Reason why not for the PAC, is the travel for their fans. That would be to far for their fan base to travel every away game.

but you have to note that travel is becoming less of an issue. it clearly didnt matter for TCU on joining the big east. if OU joined the pac-10, at least theyd have the time zones in their favor.

not saying i think OUs gonna jump to the pac-10. god no. just thought id point that out