***Official Big XII Championship Game Discussion***

Martinez was completely exposed tonight, as he has been previously. Tremendous runner, YES! Complete quarterback, absolutely NO.

It's amazing that we were actually still in this game at the end with the offense on vapor lock and the number of turnovers. I see good things on the horizon, VERY good things. With a QB that's not completely one-dimensional and the core of the rest of the team (defense especially) I don't see how we cannot be in the NC hunt for the next couple of years.

This one stings, but as always, GO BIG RED!

I sincerely HOPE that Martinez uses this as a wake up call and comes back stronger and better than ever. The first step in that process is to check the ego at the door and realize that you have some serious deficiencies as a QB and then work on them until you don't. Maybe tonight was that wake-up call. Of course, I'm also excited to see what this Carnes kid has to offer... :bigredn:

And having two healthy lower extremities can't hurt...

Unfortunate. Watson will be gone next season, though.

Hopefully martinez hits the road with him. not only did he play crappy tonight...but it seemed like he didn't give a crap either.

I disagree. He looked visibly upset.

+1. Taylor looked like he was basically crying after the game.

Single handily, Taylor screwed us out of this game.

And the funny part is, people will blame Watson for this.

I would not say single handedly BW.

The way the last drive was called was completely awful. Plenty of time on the clock to try to get 20-25 yards on the ground. And we send Taylor back to pass. Rex should have QBd that drive. Or Taylor should have just handed it off.

Rest of the game aside, the way those two playcalls went were very costly IMO.

You just made my point for me.

We have to rely on a RB to play the QB position for us? I mean, Rex, as a far less superior athlete than Taylor, and the defense KNOWING that with almost certainty that it will be a run when he takes he snap, and he can pick up yardage consistently as a runner?

Ask yourself this - why is Rex able to run the ZR so much better than Taylor?

Taylor has no ability to feel a rush in the pocket. He has no ability or awareness to put the ball away. He has no ability to know when to get the ball out. He has no accuracy. He has no ability to pre-snap read the defense and get his line in proper alignment.

You want some more blame to throw - put it on Bo for force feeding Taylor to his coaches, to his team, and to the fans knowing damm well Taylor is a horrid passer and was not completely healthy as a runner.

You take Taylor out of this game, we win going away and there is not an ounce of 'Rex-cat' talk or anything else. The ONLY reason Watson is being brought up is because Taylor put this team in the position it ended up in through his constant horrid mistakes in this game.

Some of you guys are making me sick. You don't know T-Magic, so shut the hell up and talk about football. He played bad tonight. He looked rattled. He also looked visibly upset after the game, which I liked. It shows he cares. Watson sucked, but hey, at least he's consistent. I hope you have fun in Colorado, Shawn.

The way the last drive was called was completely awful. Plenty of time on the clock to try to get 20-25 yards on the ground. And we send Taylor back to pass. Rex should have QBd that drive. Or Taylor should have just handed it off.

We have to rely on a RB to play the QB position for us? I mean, Rex, as a far less superior athlete than Taylor, and the defense KNOWING that with almost certainty that it will be a run when he takes he snap, and he can pick up yardage consistently as a runner?

Yeah, I don't know. If he makes the correct reads, I figure we have a fair chance at making most if not all of those 20 eventually. At least, given the lousy situation of what we have to work with - wouldn't you take your chances on that? Or having Taylor hand off after the throw on first down to get us into 3rd and manageable for certain.

Better reads?

Taylor has no ability to feel a rush in the pocket. He has no ability or awareness to put the ball away. He has no ability to know when to get the ball out. He has no accuracy. He has no ability to pre-snap read the defense and get his line in proper alignment.

I know it's really bad - but given that, and the coaches have to be aware of it - don't you almost have to go with something else? You were even saying during the game. Wildcat or run, and nothing else. Doesn't that give us the best shot to win on the last drive?

You want some more blame to throw - put it on Bo for force feeding Taylor to his coaches, to his team, and to the fans knowing damm well Taylor is a horrid passer and was not completely healthy as a runner.

You take Taylor out of this game, we win going away and there is not an ounce of 'Rex-cat' talk or anything else. The ONLY reason Watson is being brought up is because Taylor put this team in the position it ended up in through his constant horrid mistakes in this game.

When you are talking about force-feeding, can you elaborate? For this game, or at the beginning of the year? Watson seems to love Green and I guess he may have wanted to build on the last game with Green today, but I don't know if I would be as confident about winning going away.

I agree that Watson is shouldering unfair blame as he has for most of the year because Taylor's mistakes landed us in this situation at the end of the game. But after seeing what Taylor did all day, and knowing Watson/Bo's general tendencies to go conservative, I don't understand the 2nd down and 7 playcall on the last drive that resulted in a 9-yard sack. Maybe I'm just frustrated.

Yeah, I don't know. If he makes the correct reads, I figure we have a fair chance at making most if not all of those 20 eventually. At least, given the lousy situation of what we have to work with - wouldn't you take your chances on that? Or having Taylor hand off after the throw on first down to get us into 3rd and manageable for certain.

Better reads?

Simple point I was making was this - Rex, not used to running the ZR consistently, is at least able to make the proper read off a play to get positive yardage out of a play. Why is a player, who runs this play as much as Taylor does, still not able to make the correct read? Even more when Taylor at least offers somewhat of a threat passing?

Is Taylor a great runner? Yes, when he has space. You put Taylor in tight quarters and make him think, and he will make a horrid read more times than he makes a good one.

This goes into more about Taylor has little mental capacity to retain this offense, and use it on the field. It's one thing to make mistakes early, but at some point you expect progression. And really, more than anything, we have saw Taylor develop even worse habits as the season has went on.

I know it's really bad - but given that, and the coaches have to be aware of it - don't you almost have to go with something else? You were even saying during the game. Wildcat or run, and nothing else. Doesn't that give us the best shot to win on the last drive?

Here's the problem - Taylor received nearly every single snap with the 1st team this week. It was decided a week ago that Taylor was going to be our QB, unless for injury. And if injury had occurred, we were going to be bringing in a QB who we had absolutely no plan for.

And the fault for these decisions go directly to Bo and Watson.

Bo for forcing Taylor on everyone this week and not having the balls to make the change.

And Watson for not preparing Cody to be ready.

When you are talking about force-feeding, can you elaborate? For this game, or at the beginning of the year? Watson seems to love Green and I guess he may have wanted to build on the last game with Green today, but I don't know if I would be as confident about winning going away.

*I went into a long explanation of why, but I'm thinking better of posting it. I know how easy folks get upset here, and it isn't worth the trouble.

Ultimately Taylor has one HUGE fan on this team, and he is the one guy who ultimately decides his fate on anything. But if you asked 95% of this team their opinion, it would differ greatly.

I agree that Watson is shouldering unfair blame as he has for most of the year because Taylor's mistakes landed us in this situation at the end of the game. But after seeing what Taylor did all day, and knowing Watson/Bo's general tendencies to go conservative, I don't understand the 2nd down and 7 playcall on the last drive that resulted in a 9-yard sack. Maybe I'm just frustrated.

This, I cannot explain. It's like me asking why we didn't blitz more instead of allowing Landry so much time in the pocket for alot of tonight?

The one thing though - changes DO need to be made. IMO, Barney and Gilmore HAVE to go. But if we expect any changes to be made without making an effort ourselves to call some folks out, we will wait a while. If people DO want changes, make your voice heard. Bombard Bo and TO with emails and letters, with well thought out reasoning about why they need to go.

Changes will not be made, especially when some folks believe in continuity on a staff. But like any other job in life, guys on our staff need to be held accountable when they do not perform up to par. When you make $200-$300k a year, they standard should be pretty high. But for 3 years, we have allowed coaches on the staff to hover around the mediocrity line or below, and it is just sad.

Why is every bashing on Martinez yes the kid made a few mistakes in this game. It goes with being a freshman quarterback under pressure. He wasnt getting the blocks, hes was 90% at the most coming into the game. But im not just talking about the bashing following this gamesI am talking about the negative comments before this game. Him being a prema donna, his dad callin all his shots, him screwin cheerleaders? IDK?, him quiting Nebraska, theBS rumors. STOP THIS CRAP.he is a player on our football team he deserves our respect as fans. I just cant believe that most of you that are calling for his head are the same fans who were braggin about him after the Kansas state game. Yes he threw an INT and fumble a few times. was he the only One? NO. If you want to blame someone. Blame Watson for calling that damn Zone read mutiple times causing a loss of yards on each time. Blame his crapy play calling. I predict Martinez is gonna be a great QB in the next couple years. But jeeze give the kid your suport. Also if you didnt think he cared after the game ended. watch the tape again you could see tears in his eyes. No one comes out of a game like that not caring.

Its because Taylor wasnt 100%. Could Rex run it better than martinez at the beginning of the season? Did you see them put Rex in it at the beginning of the Season? Taylor was hurting they even mention that they had to add tape on his ankle at haft time. Watson shouldnt have built this offense around one player that is the problem. Taylor went down and so did the offense.