Team loss

Hercules

We may have been in a prevent situation but I'm pretty sure that play was a Cover 2. Could be remembering wrong, but we only had 2 deep for safeties. This time: same thing, Cover 2, 2 deep safeties. (IIRC Cassidy may have been towards the center of the field, so maybe it was Cover 1 or 3) Well, I'm no expert so someone can correct me if I'm wrong here on what we were running.

In prevent you have pretty much the entire backfield cover deep across the three thirds of the field. In cover 2, you have one safety on each side whose job it is to make damn sure that nobody gets past them. Regardless of what specifically we ran, whether Cassidy was one of two or three deep cover safeties or if it was cover 1, his job was the same as O'Hanlon's on that play: don't let a receiver get past you, because you're the last man. There's no help behind you. You're right that he seems to have bit on run support, but that's because he wasn't doing his job as a deep safety. Unless I'm very wrong about the role he was playing.

I don't think I am, though, because he must have either had the man (whom he didn't stay with), or the deep zone (which he didn't stay in), as nobody else had either of those responsibilities on that play. Again please correct if wrong - working off of memory here.

and OU got the other 10 on turnovers from our offense in our own territory.

We had ONE turnover in our own territory.

The other turnovers led to OU starting drives on their OWN 20 and their OWN 35.

The turnover in our own territory led to points, but IMO the defense is responsible for that being a touchdown and not a FG. Maybe you could say it was a foregone conclusion or a pretty bad spot if you give them the ball on the 30, but I think you expect a stop for the field goal there. The reason that was a touchdown and not a field goal is not because the offense handed the ball to OU on our own 31-yard-line, but because the next play the OU receiver got wide open on Alfonzo and a safety or two to bring it down to the half yard line. At least in my opinion, that was the more costly of the two mistakes - especially because the fumble, to begin with, was a forced takeaway on a Helu run. I don't think there's anything the playcall or even Roy could have done differently. Defender went in and hit the ball hard, jarring it loose. Maybe he could have protected it better, but you'd have to take that up with Tim Beck.

I agree though, you are going to give up points against OU. As a whole, I think the defense, in the end, made up for the early mistakes.