Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

The university had a right to be upset, but there was no reason to go public the way they did. That just made matters worse. Harvey's public admonishment of Bo was a shot across the bow - "Fix your sideline demeanor, or you're done at Nebraska."

This was Bo shooting back.

Bo won.

Hopefully Harvey gets that, and stops pissing our head coach off before we lose him.

Did he "win"? Now you have a potentially larger split between the head coach and the administration, fans taking sides against Bo or Harvey/Tom, and a perpetual state of paranoia that Bo could bolt at any time. I don't think anybody "won."

Yes, Bo won. If the administration wasn't behind him before, maybe they are now. If the administration isn't behind Bo, Bo will just leave and get a great job somewhere else, while the administration here gets blamed for losing our head coach and our fans go back to Callahan era levels of depression.

And Bo might not want to leave Nebraska, but it won't be that big of a deal to him. He likes Nebraska, but he didn't grow up in Nebraska and live with Nebraska football his entire life. He was here for one year in 2003, and he was offered his first major head coaching job in 2007 by Nebraska. As a guy who's never been head coach before, of course he takes that job at a school where 5 national championships have been won. Who in his position wouldn't take that job?

But Bo's not just a great defensive coordinator anymore. He's now an experienced head coach who's shown that he can win in a major conference, that he can recruit, and that he runs a disciplined program off the field. He'd be a great hire for any program in the country.

However, I think over the past couple months both the fans and the administration have taken Bo for granted. Even before all the stuff at A&M happened, you had Bo calling out the fans for being too quiet, saying, "I don't know what they expect..." Now the fans are upset after a 10-3 season, with each loss being by a touchdown or less. The program has shown significant and undeniable progress forward both on and off the field since Bo was hired, and he's repaid by the fans in grumbles after two straight close losses in the conference championship game.

Now, plenty of people might say, "Well, Tom Osborne had to deal with all the same stuff as Bo does." That is true, but Tom Osborne is from Hastings. Nebraska was home for him. Bo Pelini doesn't have that kind of attachment to the state or the university. People can say he wasn't tough enough for the job or whatever helps them feel better. But as they're saying that, Bo will be off at some school that has better weather and is surrounded by more talent, and he won't give a crap about what people from his former job say about him.

Bo is going to win national championships, whether it's at Nebraska or somewhere else. If Husker Nation can't get on board, he'll go somewhere else.

In other words, Bo did win. The administration lost. And if the administration doesn't get behind Bo, the fans will lose too. And if the fans don't get behind Bo, they'll also lose. This is Nebraska, and I love it, but we haven't won a conference championship since 1999, and we're not going to hire just whatever coach we want. Bo is the best we can do, and frankly, Bo's about as good as anyone out there.

My "inside source" has given me a bit of info.

Hocutt called Bo, Bo took it not exactly knowing what he wanted to talk about since they know each other. Hocutt and Bo exchanged the normal family things going on, and Hocutt brought up needing to hire a new coach. He asked Pelini if he had any recommendations, Pelini gave him some info on people he's worked with and may be good candidates to interview. Eventually Hocutt quit beating around the bush, and basically asked Pelini if he might be interested. Pelini basically eventually told him thanks, but no thanks. So, Hocutt was trying to pull a coup, but he was also interested in recommendations.

Bo will be back, and really with the players we have, the ones redshirted and the ones coming in, I don't know why in the hell he would want to leave. He spent alot of blood, sweat, and tears into getting his players, and now coming round to his 4th year is when this really becomes his baby!!!! I'm telling you all now, we are going to be a "powerful player" for years to come if we can just find some offense.

The AD of Miami who NEEDS A HEAD FOOTBALL COACH called HEAD FOOTBALL COACH Bo Pelini and Bo took the call not really knowing what he wanted to talk about..........

And I'm the King of France

"Hey Kirby, it's been a while. Happy holidays to you too, yep kids are good. Oh really?! You guys need a coach at Miami? I hadn't heard."

:koolaid2: :koolaid2:

Often times (especially when there is a history) an AD will call for a recomendation. Before the first Washington game there was an article that Bo recomended the WU coach to their AD. I'm not saying it wasn't a check for intrest but it isn't as clear cut or as fishy as it seems.

i completely get what you are saying. its not holier than thou.

Try this: Harvey is simply doing for the university as what you so clearly outlined in your post. The tone of the articles after Harveys announcements, and moreso the fanbases venom, was then directed at Perlman and whether or not what he did was right. Politics.

Yes, it is. When our Chancellor feels the need to protect our University's "image" because the HC of our football program was tough on officials, it gives off the complete feel of a 'holier than thou' attitude. Coaches riding officials and players is a reality of any program - deal with it.

To your last part - no. The national media, and even folks from around here applauded Harvey and TO for supposedly squashing this issue. I was one of the few at the time who took exception to what happened, especially on this board. But then the reality was, just as it is now, that our administration blew it up by bringing more attention to it by publicly calling Bo out.

And really, Harvey doesn't have jack to worry about with bad press. All Harvey needs to do (as he always has done) is appease the folks who keep pumping money into the University and keep them happy. Otherwise, Harvey needs to sit back ST.. up, and let Tom Osborne worry about Bo, just like Osborne has done from day 1.

you need to take off the rose colored glasses. Bo's outburst was on national TV, LIVE, and headlines after on ESPN.com were highlighting such, well before Harvey made his comments on Sunday. People act like it would have magically gone away if Harvey never would have opened his mouth. Also, it was far from within the norm. The man was a fire spewing demon throughout the game. I was amazed he didnt have more than the one personal foul called on him.

We'll never know, but my guess is that if Harvey never said anything, that we'd have another Lawrence Phillips type backlash on our hands. That you can get away with anything at Nebraska. They were going to make news about it however they could. When Harvey came out and admonished Bo, it turned from "Coach goes apesh#t" to "Boss unhappy with employee for going apesh#t." Either way, I said on this board that nationally it would all blow over within a week. It mostly did. The only ones arguing about it now are people like you and me, fans on the 'same side.'

I'll just speak for the state of Oregon... Bo's outburst wasn't on national TV, that game wasn't broadcast out here. And it wasn't even remotely a big deal until Perlman spoke. That's when it became a national story, that's when people everywhere started talking about, because then it was, "See, even his BOSS says he was acting crazy!" I'm friends with a lot of football fans out here in Eugene - and none of them would have known anything about that story but for Perlman's public admonishment.

You wouldn't, but would you blame that executive for wanting to leave?

I see it something where a professional relationship was harmed a little needlessly, hard to say if necessarily or not, and Bo is continuing that path. Makes me wonder how long he will stay here.

not at all. Ive defended bo, whatever happened, for talking to miami throughout this thread. All im trying to say is that sometimes sh#t happens, and highlighting the possibility that there are even higher powers at work thru all of this. In the grand scope, bo is a small dog with a big bark. An important one, sure. But i will never confuse that with the bites that really run the joint, harvey included. If rumors are what this board is about, im curious to why the ones i was hearing about big time donors being pretty damn upset with the happenings at the aTm game not getting any airtime. And im firmly in the camp that each party involved did what they thought they had to do. Who is right? Who is wrong? I personally dont know. But my belief is harvey did nothing wrong. And it should have ended there.

why the ones i was hearing about big time donors being pretty damn upset with the happenings at the aTm game not getting any airtime

Yeah this is actually about the first time I'm hearing of this.

I don't know how I feel about boosters running the show. I understand they do what they gotta do, but I will tend to stick with own opinions of the HC over how boosters feel. Not good if they are upset but not good if the HC needs to cater to them, either. Then again, also not good if the AD bows to the HC.

THIS should make everyone feel better... From Mitch Sherman at OWH.

(Nebraska OL commit Ryan) Klatchko said Pelini openly discussed the situation during their meeting on Thursday.

“We talked about how rumors negatively affect people,” Klatchko said. “People can tear you apart on the web.

“The big thing we talked about is, if you have questions, ask. Coaches at Nebraska are really good about that. They’ll tell you what’s up. It’s good to know the coaches are honest and up front and have your back with that.”

Coach Pelini has had several out bursts. It is just him. I think he will get it under control, and he needs to.

I have no idea if it was a play on words or an attempt to put the administration in line. But if that was the idea, the stay will not be long at Nebraska.

I live in SoCal, and most of my friends know I am a huge Nebraska fan. His blow up has been mentioned nearly every day since it happened. Most in jest, some asking if he has died from a heart attack or exploding veins. All are in jest but it is known nation wide and not thought highly of. Even some of the Miami fans said they did not want him as they expected him to explode on some one down the road.

He was corrected, publicly for a reason. If he does not understand that then he is going to have problems here and where ever he goes.

I want him to stay, I think he had done a fantastic job, but he has to clean up his act.

You have to understand that we are fanatics, overly protective of our team and coach, most fans are not quite as far overboard as we are. Take into consideration that there are not many on this board compared to the vast number of Husker fans. I think we accept a little more than the regular fan of the team. I do not feel high end boosters appreciate the actions and the reflection on the University. Could be wrong.

I could care less about the yelling at a player, but the ref abuse went on way too far. Not saying they did not deserve some of it, but I think he actually made the situation worse.

• Fire 1

By David Ubben

ESPN.com

Bo Pelini won't interview for Miami job

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini says he has no plans to interview at Miami.

"The reports that I am preparing to interview at the University of Miami are false," Pelini said in a statement Friday. "I will not have any additional comment on this matter or any other rumors."

Reports surfaced earlier in the week that Pelini had been granted permission to speak with Miami officials about the school's coaching vacancy, but Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said that if Pelini had been given permission, Osborne wasn't the one who gave it.

Pelini is preparing his team to face Washington in the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl after a 10-3 regular season that included a second consecutive Big 12 North title.

"Bo has done an excellent job of leading our football program at Nebraska over the past three years," Osborne said in a joint statement. "We're looking forward to having Bo and our coaching staff lead our team in the Holiday Bowl and as we transition into the Big Ten next year."

Miami fired coach Randy Shannon on Nov. 27 after a 7-5 season.

David Ubben covers Big 12 football for ESPN.com.

Forget about it !