SMU - ESPN 30 for 30

cb1954

Let me say this. SMU may have been the only member of the SWC to get the death penalty, but in my opinion all the members of this conference were dirty in one way or another. Letting any of these schools into the Big 8 is what led to it's downfall. Texas(the state) thinks it can do whatever it wants. Mark my words as long as Texas(the state) has control of the reins the Big 12 will never be what it used to be when it was the Big 8.

One of the main points of the story was the bidding wars between all the SWC Texas schools over Texas high school kids. Eric Dickerson got a gold Trans AM from A&M and the SMU coaches thought they were toast.

The reason they got the death penalty was that while they were on probation for the first findings of paying off their players, the boosters decided to continue to pay the kids they bought to try to prevent them from going to the press.

The 30 on 30 was put together great and was one that even my wife watched straight through and enjoyed. It is probably my second favorite right behind the one on the U.

FYI Dan Beebe was the lead investigator in the case for the NCAA, his interviews just further his douche status.

One of the main points of the story was the bidding wars between all the SWC Texas schools over Texas high school kids. Eric Dickerson got a gold Trans AM from A&M and the SMU coaches thought they were toast.

The reason they got the death penalty was that while they were on probation for the first findings of paying off their players, the boosters decided to continue to pay the kids they bought to try to prevent them from going to the press.

The 30 on 30 was put together great and was one that even my wife watched straight through and enjoyed. It is probably my second favorite right behind the one on the U.

FYI Dan Beebe was the lead investigator in the case for the NCAA, his interviews just further his douche status.

Seems ironic considering his stance on several issues such as officiating THIS season

was a great show, i really hated to see the little bit of arrogance from Craig James and Eric Dickensen, those 2 guys basically started off the whole mess, then kind of play it off as it was no big deal. When Eric said "even if I did get something, I would never tell" total BS... I love how one guy said about the trans am and A&M..." what are they going to do? say you went back on a bribe?" It is too bad that SMU got the "death penalty" but I would bet that still did not stop anyone else from buying players... The Texas arrogance is totally mind boggling :wacko:

What sickens me is that Craig James went to one of the most corrupt schools in NCAA history, then gets a gig on ESPN where he's praised as this great star all the time. The guy was crooked, and just as guilty as anyone else. He didn't got to SMU out of the kindness of his heart, and he didn't magically pick them over other schools because they offered him nothing. Then to see him have the influence of the microphone on ESPN, and to wield that influence with his son at Texas Tech just further shows that he hasn't changed. The guy is bad for college football, and I can't wait to see him get nailed in Leach's lawsuit.

So wait Im confused, why is it bad that Beebe took the hammer to a guilty SMU? Is it because he didn't sanction other SWC schools? Where other SWC part of the investigation?

So wait Im confused, why is it bad that Beebe took the hammer to a guilty SMU? Is it because he didn't sanction other SWC schools? Where other SWC part of the investigation?

I believe Crewe is saying that Beebe took the hammer to SMU, then showed he's a douche by not putting the hammer to situations that happened this year - unless they negatively affected Nebraska. Crewe isn't saying it was a bad thing to hammer SMU.

I have watched the first hour and 1/2 and will finish it tonight. I have thought the movie has been really good. I do find the arrogance of some of the SMU folks a little bit overwhelming. They cause a program to be shut down completely, and for most of them, they never felt the effects.

I would also high recommend watching the movie on "the U". It was also a nice piece.

Have you seen the show yet? If yes, did you really listen to Beebe's tone in his interviews with the director? His sense of self ego was massive. He was abashed that the SMU folk mocked his authority and still sounded overly bitter about that still. He continually talked like the SMU boosters and others involved had no spines. Kind of ironic how the spineless act these days isn't it Mr Beebe.

Have you seen the show yet? If yes, did you really listen to Beebe's tone in his interviews with the director? His sense of self ego was massive. He was abashed that the SMU folk mocked his authority and still sounded overly bitter about that still. He continually talked like the SMU boosters and others involved had no spines. Kind of ironic how the spineless act these days isn't it Mr Beebe.

Gotcha, I only watched half, obviously not the part with Beebe haha

What sickens me is that Craig James went to one of the most corrupt schools in NCAA history, then gets a gig on ESPN where he's praised as this great star all the time. The guy was crooked, and just as guilty as anyone else. He didn't got to SMU out of the kindness of his heart, and he didn't magically pick them over other schools because they offered him nothing. Then to see him have the influence of the microphone on ESPN, and to wield that influence with his son at Texas Tech just further shows that he hasn't changed. The guy is bad for college football, and I can't wait to see him get nailed in Leach's lawsuit.

You know the funny part about James Knappy....He says he went to SMU because of his then girlfriend (now wife) who was enrolled there. He acts above the whole scandal and even said he has misgivings about SMU because he thought they bought E.D. He said he only signed after he was assured that was not the case. He even throws Alabama under the bus about how they tried to buy him and get his girlfriend to transfer. All that sounds plausible and believable considering that even when the death penalty was given after the repeat violations and second major while on major probation, that there were only 15-20 kids that were involved out of the 80+ on the team. Maybe James was not involved...

However there are a few things that stood out to me. James has never denied taking money; he has only denied taking money from the SMU administration. Even wrote it that way in his book, Game Day. "Now, I’m not going to sit here and tell you I never received a nickel during my playing days. But I can say with certainty that no benefits were ever extended to me from anyone associated with the SMU administration."

He then goes on to defending the boosters for their hearts and love of SMU. Funny also is that James's off season job was at the real estate office of the one and only Sherwood Blount when he was out of school. The head man for the slush funds and main player in the pay to play scandal. Also curious is that the same Sherwood became James's agent in his career after graduation from college.

Although there is no proof that he did take money, all the signs point to guilty. The open ended quotes (not from administration, but what about boosters Craig??) & even the non denial of taking money. Add in the personal and business relationship with the man some say is the reason for the infractions and death penalty and I believe you have guilty man sitting there acting innocent.

You know the funny part about James Knappy....He says he went to SMU because of his then girlfriend (now wife) who was enrolled there. He acts above the whole scandal and even said he has misgivings about SMU because he thought they bought E.D. He said he only signed after he was assured that was not the case. He even throws Alabama under the bus about how they tried to buy him and get his girlfriend to transfer. All that sounds plausible and believable considering that even when the death penalty was given after the repeat violations and second major while on major probation, that there were only 15-20 kids that were involved out of the 80+ on the team. Maybe James was not involved...

However there are a few things that stood out to me. James has never denied taking money; he has only denied taking money from the SMU administration. Even wrote it that way in his book, Game Day. "Now, I’m not going to sit here and tell you I never received a nickel during my playing days. But I can say with certainty that no benefits were ever extended to me from anyone associated with the SMU administration."

He then goes on to defending the boosters for their hearts and love of SMU. Funny also is that James's off season job was at the real estate office of the one and only Sherwood Blount when he was out of school. The head man for the slush funds and main player in the pay to play scandal. Also curious is that the same Sherwood became James's agent in his career after graduation from college.

Although there is no proof that he did take money, all the signs point to guilty. The open ended quotes (not from administration, but what about boosters Craig??) & even the non denial of taking money. Add in the personal and business relationship with the man some say is the reason for the infractions and death penalty and I believe you have guilty man sitting there acting innocent.

Dang Fro, you did your homework! I was actually surprised that James and Eric both gave such "innocent" accounts about their time there, just got the sinking feeling while watching that show was that "we got away with it, so we can rub it in" from those two.

However there are a few things that stood out to me. James has never denied taking money; he has only denied taking money from the SMU administration. Even wrote it that way in his book, Game Day. "Now, Im not going to sit here and tell you I never received a nickel during my playing days. But I can say with certainty that no benefits were ever extended to me from anyone associated with the SMU administration."

Dang Fro, you did your homework! I was actually surprised that James and Eric both gave such "innocent" accounts about their time there, just got the sinking feeling while watching that show was that "we got away with it, so we can rub it in" from those two.

I feel ya on that one. I do think Eric just wont say. He talks about it and then just says "if I did, or didn't". I think its clear he did, but doesnt speak about it. As for James, he acts above it, thats what chaps me. He does absolutly have the "got away with it" look written all over him.

Really SMU was made an example of. So many schools were doing the same things and a number got in trouble. I bet you nearly every single school in our area did it also. I know that I heard rumors of Tony VanZant driving a fancy new car around Mizzou after he commited in 86. The number 1 player in the country and a Missouri HS player signed with the Tigers who had 1 win the year before. (too bad his knee exploded before every playing a down a Mizzou) I dont know if that was true or not about TVZ, but SMU was not the only one, thats for sure. They probably were however, the only ones to get in trouble for it 3 times in 5 years though. LOL