Deja Vu

walksalone

I was just perusing some of the Watson threads, and something occured to me.

Weren't we essentially at the same point we were last year? For the most part b*tching about Watson's playcalling ability, and the fact that we lost a Big XII title game we should have won.

So, we're left to lament about our offensive situation for almost a month, and then oddly enough, we're going to the Holiday Bowl (again).

Are we going to see a completely different Watson, who's play calling is going to look nothing like it did previously this year?

Weren't we essentially at the same point we were last year? For the most part b*tching about Watson's playcalling ability, and the fact that we lost a Big XII title game we should have won.

So, we're left to lament about our offensive situation for almost a month, and then oddly enough, we're going to the Holiday Bowl (again).

Are we going to see a completely different Watson, who's play calling is going to look nothing like it did previously this year?

Depends. Are we going to see the exact same UDub team that we already destroyed this season. If yes, then i expect the same play calling that already worked once.

Depends. Are we going to see the exact same UDub team that we already destroyed this season. If yes, then i expect the same play calling that already worked once.

Actually this wouldn't shock me at all. Wait until the last game of the season (like last year) to do things fans will be shaking their heads at wondering why he hadn't done them before. Vintage Shawn Watson.

I don't know what else we/he could do besides put everything on T-Marts shoulders, zone reads 'til your blue in the face and the occasional Rex Burkhead wildcat play. Oh yes pass, pass on 3rd downs primarily also.

Wait a sec. Since when did Watson go with what works? That's not his style at all. My guess - he won't call the plays that worked so well the 1st time 'cause he'll be too busy trying to outwit WU's D by calling plays that won't work.

Wait a sec. Since when did Watson go with what works? That's not his style at all. My guess - he won't call the plays that worked so well the 1st time 'cause he'll be too busy trying to outwit WU's D by calling plays that won't work.

From watching the first game, those calls will also work! :LOLtartar

That was the first thing that came to mind here too.

Exactly. It is past time for Watson to go. Every year it is the same tired excuses for mediocre to poor production. I'm tired of it. No more excuses. Just PRODUCE. And if you don't produce, please, find another job.

It seems like most just are more interested in pointing a finger instead of being concerned with the causes of poor production. And frankly those causes should be concerning.

- We have been moving, fast, in the direction of 'the offense Bo wants' since 2008. Is that the right call? Did we have the personnel and depth to go in that direction full throttle, particularly this year? Was it the right call to hitch the entire wagon to rely on one player's big-play running potential?

- Do we have the right staff, across the board, on offense? Are they a cohesive functioning unit?

- Bo leads the defense. Who leads the offense? It is on Shawn Watson, obviously, but with as much input as Bo is having in the offensive operation, can ANY OC function with their offense and offensive staff the same way that Bo has installed 'his' defense into this program? Should Bo give the OC a lot more autonomy, or take the reigns across the board as a HC, as he has been doing?

- Why are we lacking in offensive talent? Recruiting? Positional coaching? Bad luck? A mix?

- Does an extremely conservative approach on offense whenever injuries hit or the going gets tough, help or hurt this team?

- The Taylor decision in the CCG, did that help us or hurt us?

- Why do we have so many injuries, especially it seems, on the offensive side of the ball?

You can call these excuses all you want, but they are reasons that we can discuss. If would be incredibly blind to answer all of these with 'Watson sucks, he has to go.'

My 2 cents - I'm fine with the conservative approach, eschewing stats in favor of keeping us in tight games that we can win. I think Bo should be a HC that has handles on both the defense and the offense, rather than being a DC with the HC title. But he has to do a better job of directing the offense than he has so far. Goes back to both the recruiting of quarterbacks, the direction of the offense, and most specifically the call to stick with an injured Taylor, and being so reluctant to unwrap Green and send him out there with confidence. I think the TM experiment has worked out pretty well on the field, with the biggest problem being how much the offense had to change without him in there.

We were really on pace for some incredible offensive numbers before Taylor and Zac both got knocked out in the same week. You can call that excuses, or you can call that the reality for many teams that have to run with QB3.

• Fire 5

Exactly. It is past time for Watson to go. Every year it is the same tired excuses for mediocre to poor production. I'm tired of it. No more excuses. Just PRODUCE. And if you don't produce, please, find another job.

It seems like most just are more interested in pointing a finger instead of being concerned with the causes of poor production. And frankly those causes should be concerning.

- We have been moving, fast, in the direction of 'the offense Bo wants' since 2008. Is that the right call? Did we have the personnel and depth to go in that direction full throttle, particularly this year? Was it the right call to hitch the entire wagon to rely on one player's big-play running potential?

- Do we have the right staff, across the board, on offense? Are they a cohesive functioning unit?

- Bo leads the defense. Who leads the offense? It is on Shawn Watson, obviously, but with as much input as Bo is having in the offensive operation, can ANY OC function with their offense and offensive staff the same way that Bo has installed 'his' defense into this program? Should Bo give the OC a lot more autonomy, or take the reigns across the board as a HC, as he has been doing?

- Why are we lacking in offensive talent? Recruiting? Positional coaching? Bad luck? A mix?

- Does an extremely conservative approach on offense whenever injuries hit or the going gets tough, help or hurt this team?

- Why do we have so many injuries, especially it seems, on the offensive side of the ball?

You can call these excuses all you want, but they are reasons that we can discuss. If would be incredibly blind to answer all of these with 'Watson sucks, he has to go.'

My 2 cents - I'm fine with the conservative approach, eschewing stats in favor of keeping us in tight games that we can win. I think Bo should be a HC that has handles on both the defense and the offense, rather than being a DC with the HC title. But he has to do a better job of directing the offense than he has so far. Goes back to both the recruiting of quarterbacks, the direction of the offense, and most specifically the call to stick with an injured Taylor, and being so reluctant to unwrap Green and send him out there with confidence. I think the TM experiment has worked out pretty well on the field, with the biggest problem being how much the offense had to change without him in there.

We were really on pace for some incredible offensive numbers before Taylor and Zac both got knocked out in the same week. You can call that excuses, or you can call that the reality for many teams that have to run with QB3.

This could be the best post that I have read on this topic. I rarely give rep points but here are some for you zoogies.

• Fire 1

This could be the best post that I have read on this topic. I rarely give rep points but here are some for you zoogies.

Zoogies, you've caught a lot of flack in recent weeks for your views. But, there's no denying the many viable points you've brought up about our offense and its struggles in the final month of the season.

Great post +1. Honestly the bolded sums it all up.

It's always something, isn't it? Other than 2008 with Ganz what good offense has Shawn Watson coached? Pelini took a terrible defense and turned it into one that looks like it will be one of the nations best year in and year out. He did that despite injuries, despite not having his own players, despite having a poor offense on the other side of the ball. That's what good coaches do.

You are correct, though. Ultimately, it's Bo's responsibility. The blame will eventually fall on his head. But hey . . . if you want to defend drop back passing in a 3rd and 2 situation with a run first QB, you go ahead and do that.

This could be the best post that I have read on this topic.

Agreed. Great post, zoogies.