Ohio State suspensions

you do what you need to do to survive, especially when you are a a broke college kid. Pryor sold things that legally belonged to him to help his mother (according to his high school coach). no crimes were committed.

I do not understand the NCAA.

Cam Newton asside, what they did is not allowed - and if permitted it would open up the doors to pay players through merchandise and other products. If you knew that every time Oklahoma won the Big12 South the Big12 south ring was valued at $35,000 and you could sell that...but nebraska rings run around $500 which college would you choose? Before long USC would be giving $100,000 conferenc championship rings, and $50,000 participation awards to all their players.

Why do you think this is ok?

Athletes are dominated, managed, and controlled; do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns; are sometimes mistreated physically and mentally; are denied the rights and freedoms of other citizens; and have no real democratic recourse in an unjust system.

My link

You read all those conspiracy theorist emails that get forwarded around too huh?

???

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just a straightforward essay on the dark side of college sports. It's pretty tough to deny the overtones of slavery. Seriously, I love college football, but every time I'm in Memorial Stadium there are about 30 seconds where I remove myself from that atmosphere and think something to the extent of, "This must be what Romans were like watching their prisoners fight to the death in the Coliseum." It's kind of disturbing...

But these college players are not required to play. It is a choice that they chose to make.

you do what you need to do to survive, especially when you are a a broke college kid. Pryor sold things that legally belonged to him to help his mother (according to his high school coach). no crimes were committed.

Cam Newton asside, what they did is not allowed - and if permitted it would open up the doors to pay players through merchandise and other products. If you knew that every time Oklahoma won the Big12 South the Big12 south ring was valued at $35,000 and you could sell that...but nebraska rings run around $500 which college would you choose? Before long USC would be giving $100,000 conferenc championship rings, and $50,000 participation awards to all their players.

Athletes are dominated, managed, and controlled; do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns; are sometimes mistreated physically and mentally; are denied the rights and freedoms of other citizens; and have no real democratic recourse in an unjust system.

My link

You read all those conspiracy theorist emails that get forwarded around too huh?

???

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just a straightforward essay on the dark side of college sports. It's pretty tough to deny the overtones of slavery. Seriously, I love college football, but every time I'm in Memorial Stadium there are about 30 seconds where I remove myself from that atmosphere and think something to the extent of, "This must be what Romans were like watching their prisoners fight to the death in the Coliseum." It's kind of disturbing...

They get flown in and worshipped during the recruiting period, they get a scholarship and admitted into schools that if they weren't athletes there would be no way in hell they'd get admitted into, they get a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat, chances to travel all over the country.

If only real slaves who got beat and killed and forced to live in hell on earth could come back and beat the ever living crap out of you for comparing the pampered life of a D1 athlete to what they endured.

The most epic :facepalm: in the history of :facepalm:

Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH.jpg

• Fire 5

he had money to pay for his tattoos though.

Never said it was ok...just that I don't understand....I should have expanded my short comment. (without mentioning C.N.) ;)

Fact-Because the institution did not 'properly educate' its student athletes on the do's/don'ts of NCAA by-laws until November 2009, and said institution did not receive a 'competitive advantage' they can play in the bowl game. Ok. But it is severe enough to suspend them for the first 5 games of 2011? Perhaps tNCAA should investigate the coaches/athletic department and hand out suspensions/fines/etc because it is up to them to guide these young men to follow the rules. Or is it that tOSU came forward that it's on just the players?

It's a fine line when the compensating student athletes debate comes up, and tbh I am not sure where I 100% stand on that issue. Like you said, if you adjust the rules per your example, the schools like TX, USC, FL, etc would be the front runners (even more) to grab the best High School players. Something does need to be done, but I guess I am not sure the right way to go about making the necessary policy changes within tNCAA so your example does not come to fruition.

That's BS. They should have to sit out the bowl game too.

RUT ROAH!

Pryor will go to the draft and wont stick around for the suspension IMO.

That's what I was thinking. Pryor will turn pro and never face the punishment. I can't believe they are not suspended for the Bowl Game. Must be too much money on the line to suspend them for a BCS bowl game. What a bunch of hypocritical asshats the NCAA is.

NCAA suspension guidelines only typically recommend suspending for bowl games when it's the senior year, it's always geen that way.

Soooooo.......

these guys sell the things they earned for small cash, they get suspensions. Meanwhile in SEC land Cam Newton gets the Heisman. Nothing to see here, move along...

When did the NCAA start awarding the Heisman trophy?

And by the way, I don't know if this is still the case, but I know that for a long time Nebraska's equipment manager held on to all of the bowl jerseys until after the player graduated for exactly this reason.

My link

???

They get flown in and worshipped during the recruiting period, they get a scholarship and admitted into schools that if they weren't athletes there would be no way in hell they'd get admitted into, they get a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat, chances to travel all over the country.

If only real slaves who got beat and killed and forced to live in hell on earth could come back and beat the ever living crap out of you for comparing the pampered life of a D1 athlete to what they endured.

You could also say that universities exploit student-athletes for millions of dollars while giving them little in return. In fact, I would say that.

The essay doesn't equate the university-student athlete relationship to the plantation-slave relationship, it's just pointing out the similarities. Student-athletes "do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns."

If it makes you feel better to believe that universities don't exploit student-athletes, feel free to go with that.

My link

???

But these college players are not required to play. It is a choice that they chose to make.

Yeah. They're not the same thing. It's a nuanced metaphor and a nuanced debate. It's a gray area, it's not black and white (no pun intended).

I haven't read every post on this topic, but I thought that I would throw in my .02....

I am not sure what side of the fence I am on concerning this matter. I understand the...."these guys SOLD THEIR PERSONAL PROPERTY" argument. In fact, I support that argument. To me, once you are given a ring, then it is YOURS, and you should be able to do anything you want with that ring. It is now YOURS, not the NCAA or the SCHOOLS. I also understand that their are rules regarding this activity....just not sure I totally agree with them.

Now, I understand WHY athletes ARE NOT ALLOWED to sell PERSONAL ITEMS.... If a booster wanted too, they could buy an old-ratty t-shirt from Joe "all-american" for $5000 and call it a "sale of personal items"...obviously, you can see what this would lead too...

Tough call.... only thing is.... these guys probably KNEW the rules, and knew they were violating the rules, thus, a punishment was handed down.

I would say it is a safe bet that the suspension will be reduced to 3 games max.

My link

???

A free education is absolutely horrible...

Your right they are enslaved when they go to Universities for FREE, avoiding a bill that exceeds over hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A slave has no rights, these people do. Common man!!!!!!!! Its demeaning to people that really were slaves, those people had it bad and to compare them to college football athlete who is viewed as a celebrity and has more opprotunity than probably you or me is HORRIBLY UNJUST!!!!!!!

Slave

STR_freemarket.jpg

College Athlete

TIM.jpg

SEE THE DIFFERENCE?????????

That's BS. They should have to sit out the bowl game too.

RUT ROAH!

Pryor will go to the draft and wont stick around for the suspension IMO.

That's what I was thinking. Pryor will turn pro and never face the punishment. I can't believe they are not suspended for the Bowl Game. Must be too much money on the line to suspend them for a BCS bowl game. What a bunch of hypocritical asshats the NCAA is.

NCAA suspension guidelines only typically recommend suspending for bowl games when it's the senior year, it's always geen that way.

Soooooo.......

these guys sell the things they earned for small cash, they get suspensions. Meanwhile in SEC land Cam Newton gets the Heisman. Nothing to see here, move along...

When did the NCAA start awarding the Heisman trophy?

And by the way, I don't know if this is still the case, but I know that for a long time Nebraska's equipment manager held on to all of the bowl jerseys until after the player graduated for exactly this reason.

Where did I say that the NCAA gave Newton the Heisman?

My link

???

You could also say that universities exploit student-athletes for millions of dollars while giving them little in return. In fact, I would say that.

The essay doesn't equate the university-student athlete relationship to the plantation-slave relationship, it's just pointing out the similarities. Student-athletes "do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns."

If it makes you feel better to believe that universities don't exploit student-athletes, feel free to go with that.

Little in return? I would wager that 1/4 of the players in the NFL would be in jail, or working crap jobs. Attending college gets them a free education, place to live, food on the table, and even clothes to wear in many cases. Without the "slavery", there would be no future for many of these kids. Rickey Thenarse is likely still ALIVE because he attended the University of Nebraska, if he doesn't go to school, he's still back at home and either dead with his brothers or in jail for getting "justice". College athletics give these kids a chance to show pro teams what they can do, literally it's a million dollar opportunity for many of them.

McDonald's makes a ton of money paying workers very little selling overpriced food with absurd markup, so does every restaurant in America, so does Wal-Mart. It's not like most schools are swimming in money from college athletics, yes, some make money, but the vast majority lose money to provide student athletes opportunities and the fans entertainment.

• Fire 1

First I'm in the Prior is gone camp ....... why stay to play 1/2 of a season.

As for paying players I don't think it is a good idea and how would it be done. Every school would need to pay the same amount and that amount would need to be low becasue I don't think football is a huge cash cow at every school in the NCAA BCS division. I also assume all athletes would then be able to get paid b-ball, baseball, womens hoops a uconn ect. I think the education is enough, the vast majority will never see the NFL so what they make of the education is up to them.

When I see this fines and suspensions I think it is a joke but I don't have a better ideal. A couple days ago there was an article on the 8 million dollar kick (Boise missed kick cost WAC 8 Million in revenue) and another article on players at Tennessee getting into a bar w/out paying the cover charge they had to pay it back.

Here are the links to the articles:

Boise Kicker LInk

Tennesse Link