Ohio State suspensions

Why not give the players an option. Free scholarship or they can pay there way threw college without rules against endorsements, etc?

Thats a good idea, but again, it comes with leading to possible troublesome situations where a booster could get a recruit to come to their school by paying for their education, and then just paying him while he is in school because its allowed since theyre not on scholarship.

Overall, in this world today, we are always going to have people breaking and getting around the rules. The NCAA certainly is not a very well run organization, but even if it was, and had a good set of rules, there would still be situations like this.

Didn't Johnny Rodgers try to get his son, Terry to decline the scholarship from NU so he (Terry) would be free to write a weekly column about life as a Husker and sell it for more than the value of Tuition/room/books ?

Fourth, they sold these items to help their families. I can't verify this, but this is what's being reported.

Don't leave out the part about how they also got tattoos in exchange for some of the stuff, and/or also got tattoo discounts. I don't think those were of much help to their families, and it also puts some doubt in my mind that any of the money went to families.

But yeah, the punishment was way too harsh for the crime. They probably should've just made them miss the bowl game and that's it.

The tattoo story changes with each article, so I can't vouch if the items themselves were sold for them. But I agree on your last statement. (out for the bowl game and that's it, which is what Ohio State initially did)

you do what you need to do to survive, especially when you are a a broke college kid. Pryor sold things that legally belonged to him to help his mother (according to his high school coach). no crimes were committed.

I do not understand the NCAA.

Cam Newton asside, what they did is not allowed - and if permitted it would open up the doors to pay players through merchandise and other products. If you knew that every time Oklahoma won the Big12 South the Big12 south ring was valued at $35,000 and you could sell that...but nebraska rings run around $500 which college would you choose? Before long USC would be giving $100,000 conferenc championship rings, and $50,000 participation awards to all their players.

Why do you think this is ok?

Athletes are dominated, managed, and controlled; do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns; are sometimes mistreated physically and mentally; are denied the rights and freedoms of other citizens; and have no real democratic recourse in an unjust system.

My link

You read all those conspiracy theorist emails that get forwarded around too huh?

???

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just a straightforward essay on the dark side of college sports. It's pretty tough to deny the overtones of slavery. Seriously, I love college football, but every time I'm in Memorial Stadium there are about 30 seconds where I remove myself from that atmosphere and think something to the extent of, "This must be what Romans were like watching their prisoners fight to the death in the Coliseum." It's kind of disturbing...

They get flown in and worshipped during the recruiting period, they get a scholarship and admitted into schools that if they weren't athletes there would be no way in hell they'd get admitted into, they get a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat, chances to travel all over the country.

If only real slaves who got beat and killed and forced to live in hell on earth could come back and beat the ever living crap out of you for comparing the pampered life of a D1 athlete to what they endured.

The most epic :facepalm: in the history of :facepalm:

You could also say that universities exploit student-athletes for millions of dollars while giving them little in return. In fact, I would say that.

The essay doesn't equate the university-student athlete relationship to the plantation-slave relationship, it's just pointing out the similarities. Student-athletes "do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns."

If it makes you feel better to believe that universities don't exploit student-athletes, feel free to go with that.

I don't know about you, but I would PAY for the opportunity to play for the Nebraska Cornhuskers...

Any chance Tressel doesn't let the players play in the bowl game??

I mean, Tressel at his press conference basically said(without actually saying it) the players knew what they were doing. So, if the NCAA doesn't have the balls to suspend them for the bowl game, does Tressel? Even though what they did I don't really think is so bad, it is an NCAA rule.

I am actually in favor of increasing the stipend the players receive by a fair amount. I really think this would make alot of these things go away. Is there something I'm missing? Why does nobody ever really mention this as an option. I mean, they can't hold a job, so let's pay them a little more to help. Seems like a pretty easy thing to do.

I mean, Tressel at his press conference basically said(without actually saying it) the players knew what they were doing. So, if the NCAA doesn't have the balls to suspend them for the bowl game, does Tressel? Even though what they did I don't really think is so bad, it is an NCAA rule.

I am actually in favor of increasing the stipend the players receive by a fair amount. I really think this would make alot of these things go away. Is there something I'm missing? Why does nobody ever really mention this as an option. I mean, they can't hold a job, so let's pay them a little more to help. Seems like a pretty easy thing to do.

Considering his AD, and Jim Delany went to bat for the players to play in the bowl? I doubt it

The seniors voted to let them play. That was the final say. It was still on the table. Speculation after that was that taking them out of the bowl game might actually prevent the appeal for a lesser suspension from happening (since they personally increased the suspension to 6 games by not playing the bowl)

I get tired of players trying to use the old excuse "we didn't know it was wrong" Getting slapped with a 5 game suspension is agreeable but being allowedto play in the bowl game is a joke!!

You really think selling your own stuff warrants 5 games?

Ohio State was hoping to get them out of the bowl game and that was their punishment. They were overruled.