Ohio State suspensions

paying kids to play football in college is just wrong....it would open up huge probs in all sports, but the rule should be any award given a player is his personal property, without restrictions.

Yea paying college kids to play ball would be problematic, but they need to atlest let them take endorsments and let them sell there items. It just seems greedy on NCAAs part. Am I not mistaken but isn't there a few video games out there with a NCAA tag on them. I mean come on. They want to have there cake and eat it to. How about the NCAA be fare and stop taking endorsements them selves. On the other hand one reason I like college football more than pro is because most players are playing for the game and not money. NFL is just too flashy for my taste. You know NFL probably has a deal with the NCAA about the 3year rule. Cause hell otherwise. You wouldn't have your tebows, newtons, ingrams playing college ball I doubt they gave a $hit about a degree. They wanted to play football.

the whole thing stinks..... i want to know who cut the deal to allow them to play in the sugar and defer the games until next season.....

ncaa and OSU claim they were not informed of rules properly or whatever until so and so but we all know thats bull......

you wonder who sold out these guys future season to pull off a sugar bowl win........

From Andy Staples:

To the gentlemen starring in this week's episode of Columbus Ink:

Go pro. Do it immediately after the Sugar Bowl. Play the game, take a shower, and sign with the agent of your choice. Then go drink a Hand Grenade at Tropical Isle to celebrate.

Think about it, Terrelle Pryor, Boom Herron, DeVier Posey, Mike Adams and Solomon Thomas. You don't need this aggravation.

You can go to the NFL or the CFL or the UFL, where you'll be paid when someone profits from your name or likeness. You'll be fairly compensated for your contribution to your team's gross revenue. Should you benefit from your notoriety, you won't be punished.

Or you can stay at Ohio State, where the NCAA will force you to miss the first five games of next season for selling signed game-worn gear and memorabilia in exchange for cash and tattoos. (Terrelle, it probably wasn't very sportsmanlike to sell your Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award, but I'm not sure I'd want to keep a trophy memorializing my trip to a bowl that is under investigation by an Arizona grand jury.) You'll have to sit out while your teammates play against Miami, Colorado and Michigan State. Then you'll get to return just in time for a trip to Lincoln to play Nebraska. Certainly, those NFL scouts won't downgrade you if you get mangled trying to shake off the rust against one of college football's best teams. Will they?

Nice of Andy to label us as one of college football's best teams. Downright charitable, I'd say.

LINK

OSU has availed themselves on a rule that allow punished athletes or suspended athletes to play in the bowl game even though they are suspended. I am trying to find the exact rule and its language but here is an article that hints these suspended players will be back sooner then we all think.

LINK: http://www.foxsportsohio.com/12/24/10/Aftermath-at-Ohio-State/landing_ohiostate.html?blockID=379382&feedID=3800

By Bruce Hooley

FOXSportsOhio.com

Friday, Dec. 24, 2010

It’s not in the job description, but it must be mandatory to have your sense of humor removed to get a big-time job in the Ohio State athletic department.

There’s no other way to explain OSU athletic director Gene Smith and head football coach Jim Tressel sitting stone-faced Thursday while explaining how five players were handed five-game NCAA suspensions that will nevertheless allow them to play in the Buckeyes’ next game, Jan. 4 against Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl.

Not even a straight man as talented as Ed McMahon could have announced that portion of the NCAA's ruling without breaking into guffaws, but Smith and Tressel managed to get through it without so much as a smirk.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, running back Daniel Herron, receiver DeVier Posey, offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive lineman Solomon Thomas ran afoul of NCAA rules by selling jerseys, other equipment or awards they received for between $1,000 and $2,500. They also received discounts on tattoos from a Columbus tattoo parlor.

Should any of the five not opt to enter the NFL draft, they will serve their suspensions at the beginning of next season.

MOD EDIT - please read the new rule pertaining to posting of articles. We cannot post full articles from copyrighted sources. Thanks! knapplc

Rather than quote everyone and make this a post much longer than needed, I'm just going to post everything I was thinking about while reading this thread.

First, Ohio State suspended the players for the Sugar Bowl....the NCAA re-instated them instantly. After the NCAA re-instated the players for the Sugar Bowl, the seniors have officially voted and allowed them to play in the game (meaning Tressel still contemplated suspending them but left it up to his team.

Second, Michigan Man, prove that Tressel is doing a pay for play or quit spouting your jealous rhetoric. We obviously know your team is hurting as they lose recruit after recruit and look to anything to make you feel better about your team. But don't start making unfounded claims.

Third, since people mention Clarrett, before any of his major issues, he was already kicked out of the university since he decided after the Fiesta Bowl, he wasn't going to go to class anymore.

Fourth, they sold these items to help their families. I can't verify this, but this is what's being reported. It's not like they held anyone at gunpoint or were selling drugs. Judging by who they were, they could have easily made more money than they did by other means than selling their personal items. So I think 5 games is pretty damn harsh for selling their own property. It's also not a conspiracy against the Huskers. 4 games is the written down suspension for this violation. They apparently got an extra game for not telling their compliance office that they did this when it was officially sent out to all the players.

Pryor is important to the team. Herron is currently the lynchpin of the rushing offense. Posey is NOT the best receiver on the team. Sanzenbacher is. However, because of Posey playing, it makes Sanzenbacher's numbers better since they have to cover Posey.

I see both sides of this, but to me if they can play in the Bowl game, then the suspension is a joke. The kids did nothing wrong as far as I am concerned. It was their property, given to them. I know it could be construed that it could be a booster buying it but so what.

These kids make mistakes, try to cover up the mistake and get burned for it. This is far too long for what they did. I do not see it as trying to get paid for playing. I see it as a way to cover bills that the family might have. I think we are dealing with inner city kids, that have very little and the families have far less. One game is the max that I would do, and I would let them play in the Bowl game, it is not fair to the others that had nothing to do with it, did not benefit from it to have their chances of winning their bowl game taken away.

These are not killers, active gang bangers, drug dealers/criminals. They are kids that made a mistake, not a big deal. NCAA needs to fit the punishment to the violation and stick with it.

Fourth, they sold these items to help their families. I can't verify this, but this is what's being reported.

Don't leave out the part about how they also got tattoos in exchange for some of the stuff, and/or also got tattoo discounts. I don't think those were of much help to their families, and it also puts some doubt in my mind that any of the money went to families.

But yeah, the punishment was way too harsh for the crime. They probably should've just made them miss the bowl game and that's it.

you do what you need to do to survive, especially when you are a a broke college kid. Pryor sold things that legally belonged to him to help his mother (according to his high school coach). no crimes were committed.

I do not understand the NCAA.

Cam Newton asside, what they did is not allowed - and if permitted it would open up the doors to pay players through merchandise and other products. If you knew that every time Oklahoma won the Big12 South the Big12 south ring was valued at $35,000 and you could sell that...but nebraska rings run around $500 which college would you choose? Before long USC would be giving $100,000 conferenc championship rings, and $50,000 participation awards to all their players.

Why do you think this is ok?

Athletes are dominated, managed, and controlled; do not receive a wage commensurate with their contribution to economic returns; are sometimes mistreated physically and mentally; are denied the rights and freedoms of other citizens; and have no real democratic recourse in an unjust system.

My link

The Unjustice alternatively would be the biggest financially backed Universities would dominate college football from henceforth. Paying the most for the best players and coaches, Lets get three times the dose of Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame's Back! No Thanks. Most are getting there educations paid for and that comes with restrictions, they knew what they were doing was wrong at the time, case closed. I wouldn't mind waiting four years for a marginal NFL salary contract.

I could have very easily been the cause of a similar situation at Nebraska in the mid '80's

A former starting QB that had been switched to CB for his Sr. year lived in my apartment building and his Rottweiler was friends with my Siberian Husky..One day I had just gotten home with a 40# bag of Iams Dog Food when the QB/CB was tossing his turf shoes and letter jacket into the community trash bin.

I offered to trade him the Dog food for the 5 pr of shoes and jacket but he just said to take them, later saying he probably should have given them to his nephew.

Don't think it ever occured to either of us that the NCAA might've been interested.