Bo knows Defense, BUT

Billyball

I know that most Blame Wats, and I carry no brief for the guy, but I am not certain he really is at the heart of the trouble and changing the name of the OC will solve things. I believe we have a world class defensive coordinator that is still not comfortable as a head coach either understanding or developing "his" offensive scheme. I think we have had an offensive direction by committee and of course is only my guessing. Watson prefers a more wide open passing attack with perhaps a 50 50 mix. TO I would bet has strongly suggested to Bo with Bo wisely given his background on D, that Bo should adopt a run heavy offense with emphasis on the option.

Using that scenario, I can envision Watson being told of the direction Bo had chosen to go. Recall last year that Watson it was reported had told T Gabbert that they were going away from an offense featuring the passing game. I think that was not his decision.

So they cobbled together an offense around a running qb, TM, not by Watson's choice, but because he was told to do it. Blocking is changed, receivers have a limited role and it comes down to timing and making the right option read AND keeping the one qb we had that could run it sound. The a chillies heel came when TM was hurt or a D could stop the read option. We has a terribly impotent offense then. So we try a wildcat a lot and basically make it up.

I truly believe this quite possibly could be the result of Bo not understanding offense and thinking with or without TO's imput he could design a ball control rushing offense to compliment a D with Suh in 2009 and be very effective. So you end up manufacturing an offense to please the HC on the fly. You don't necessarily believe in it. The head coach doesn't understand the limitation or the problem of building an offense with one qb that can run it, but backed by an option guru from the old days who is AD, insists on implementation.

So now we are master of nothing on offense, Jack of no trades, and likely back to a drawing board. Whether hiring a new OC will change anything or not I don't know. I do believe that part of the problem is that Bo doesn't really understand building an offense. There is a big difference in being a coordinator and being a head coach. Hopefully Bo is learning and regardless who is the OC he will know when to intervene and when to let the coordinator roll. Not an easy job.

I would think (or hope) that with Bo's defensive prowess, he would be able to come up with an offense that would be hell for his defense to stop. That should be the offense that we run.

Then we need to recruit a Brad Smith or Vince Young then, because they made Bo's defense's look silly.

I would think (or hope) that with Bo's defensive prowess, he would be able to come up with an offense that would be hell for his defense to stop. That should be the offense that we run.

Then we need to recruit a Brad Smith or Vince Young then, because they made Bo's defense's look silly.

Brion Carnes and Jamal Tuner should hopefully fit that bill. But who knows.....

I know that most Blame Wats, and I carry no brief for the guy, but I am not certain he really is at the heart of the trouble and changing the name of the OC will solve things. I believe we have a world class defensive coordinator that is still not comfortable as a head coach either understanding or developing "his" offensive scheme. I think we have had an offensive direction by committee and of course is only my guessing. Watson prefers a more wide open passing attack with perhaps a 50 50 mix. TO I would bet has strongly suggested to Bo with Bo wisely given his background on D, that Bo should adopt a run heavy offense with emphasis on the option.

Using that scenario, I can envision Watson being told of the direction Bo had chosen to go. Recall last year that Watson it was reported had told T Gabbert that they were going away from an offense featuring the passing game. I think that was not his decision.

So they cobbled together an offense around a running qb, TM, not by Watson's choice, but because he was told to do it. Blocking is changed, receivers have a limited role and it comes down to timing and making the right option read AND keeping the one qb we had that could run it sound. The a chillies heel came when TM was hurt or a D could stop the read option. We has a terribly impotent offense then. So we try a wildcat a lot and basically make it up.

I truly believe this quite possibly could be the result of Bo not understanding offense and thinking with or without TO's imput he could design a ball control rushing offense to compliment a D with Suh in 2009 and be very effective. So you end up manufacturing an offense to please the HC on the fly. You don't necessarily believe in it. The head coach doesn't understand the limitation or the problem of building an offense with one qb that can run it, but backed by an option guru from the old days who is AD, insists on implementation.

So now we are master of nothing on offense, Jack of no trades, and likely back to a drawing board. Whether hiring a new OC will change anything or not I don't know. I do believe that part of the problem is that Bo doesn't really understand building an offense. There is a big difference in being a coordinator and being a head coach. Hopefully Bo is learning and regardless who is the OC he will know when to intervene and when to let the coordinator roll. Not an easy job.

Last year, it appeared Bo wanted to start Cody. When Cody played well like a true freshman, Lee was inserted back into the starting lineup. My understanding is that Watson has been told what he will do and who he will play. From what I'm told, his role on the team this year has been a lot more like a guidance counselor than an offensive coordinator. It's unlikely Watson will return next year. However, I'm of the belief that very little will change from this year with Watson being the only one not returning. It will be a lot like putting chrome wheels on a ford pinto. The problems go much deeper.

Last year, it appeared Bo wanted to start Cody. When Cody played well like a true freshman, Lee was inserted back into the starting lineup. My understanding is that Watson has been told what he will do and who he will play. From what I'm told, his role on the team this year has been a lot more like a guidance counselor than an offensive coordinator. It's unlikely Watson will return next year. However, I'm of the belief that very little will change from this year with Watson being the only one not returning. It will be a lot like putting chrome wheels on a ford pinto. The problems go much deeper.

If true, this doesn't bode well for the future. WTF is really going on within this program?

This is the jist of it in my opinion.

I welcome a wholesale change at this point, and if that happens Watson is not likely to be here anyway. I disagree with all of the hate directed at him, and wish him well wherever he lands next.

But the problems this year that have come to roost fall so much at Bo's feet. So did the successes. But we lost three of our last four and Bo's decisions were really in a spotlight there. An influx of real talent on offense can jumpstart us in the near future, but big underlying staff changes, and most importantly, philosophical direction from Bo, needs a re-setting. I hope that this last game has made BO realize that.

There's stuff that goes on in any program that most of us would not like to hear at all, about players or coaches that we love and root for otherwise. I must say though some of the stuff this year has been more than a bit disturbing.

A friend of mine says that she feels that Bo still doesn't understand the Nebraska culture-what kind of coach we want and what kind of game we expect. I don't know if I agree. I just think that Bo is green where being a head coach is concerned. He had an awful mess to clean up when he first got here. He's done a great job on defense now he needs to work on the offensive side of the team. I say, give the guy some time. Osborne was given years to develop his team. I often feel that we Husker fans are too impatient and our expectations are through the roof. I remember just a few short years ago when Bo came and we started winning again how excited the fans were. We were even saying things like if we win at least 6 games we would be happy. Now we're whining like spoiled brats-me included. Blah!

Bo needs to be mentored by Dr. Osborne and time to create a total team. I say give the guy some time.

What do you mean by your last sentence Zoogies?

My bad, I must have skipped a few words. "I must say though"...instead of "I must" :P Mostly I am just talking about how Bo has gone about business this year. I love the guy as our head coach, but this season from the start was clouded by decisions that were IMO, questionable. I am not sure if I am not more surprised by the initial success, than I am by the recent failures.

ladyhawke, I agree, Bo has his green areas but that's it. He shows a lot of promise still as head man. The 'doesn't get Nebraska culture stuff' is just one of the standard anti-coach argument lines for Nebraska fans that no coach is immune from. 'Nebraska culture': a guy "gets it" when we like him and is an "outsider" when we don't.