What Offense CAN we run?

Lots of discussion about offense i was thinking, With the current players we have what do all the armchair OCs think we Can, not what we want, to run.

My thoughts.

1. Spread style. This takes a good descision maker, quick thinker, defense reader etc at Qb. Also have to have a QB who is a true dual threat Runner/passer. Not thinkin TM , or CG is our guy, maybe one of the new guys. Also need solid receivers, not sure who they would be.

2. Option. I think TM might actually do well in this style, but he would get hit a lot and dont know if he could take that all season.CG could probably run it but not to his strengths.Again maybe a new guy could? Dont think the receivers/and O line are up to it either.

3. West coast/pro style. I actually somewhat enjoyed this style, Zach Taylor was pretty good at picking apart defenses, moving down the field, and scoring in a hurry. loved the fade route in the end zone to Purify too. Unless an act of God takes place, and Bubba actually shows up, i dont see any of our QBs running that style. Also need quite a few more good receivers, and different type of O linemen to run this.

4. Smashmouth style. With Burkhead, and Robinson here and 2 more 4 star RBs coming in, i could see this working. Any of our QBs would fit, and if one went down the wheels wouldnt come off. O line might be better concentrating on pancaking the guy in from of them. Control the clock and beat em down in the 4th quarter.

Im sure there are more styles, or combinations thereof, than what i said, just thinking about the offensive identity we all want.Really would be better to run what we CAN more than what we want. I would say 1 or 4 is our best option.

I am with the folks that have been talking up Alabama and now Wisconsin's offense in recent years.

Have a strong line up front, commit to a good running game, and for us, we will still have the Rexcat.

Both these offenses need a good quarterback though. Not a fast quarterback necessarily that will dictate everything about an offense. Not Sam Bradford or Landry Jones either. But a solid guy, who will lead the troops, like a John Parker Wilson or a Greg McElroy or Wisconsin's Tolzien.

• Fire 1

Doesn't matter what "style" of offense NU decides to attempt to run as long as Barney Fife is running the OLine. Any style will look the same, a clusterf#$k. Until things are shored up in the offensive trenches, it won't matter. Hell NU could survive just fine keeping Wats as long as Barney Rubble isn't holding down the helm with the big uglies.

• Fire 1

Whatever it is, it needs to be physical. I'm a fan of the spread option game, and I think that's what we've been moving to and recruiting towards. I do think we need to gear the offense more towards the running backs though, and rely on the QB more for distributing the ball rather than always making plays himself. I do want a mobile QB though, I want the defense to have to account for everyone.

I am with the folks that have been talking up Alabama and now Wisconsin's offense in recent years.

Have a strong line up front, commit to a good running game, and for us, we will still have the Rexcat.

Both these offenses need a good quarterback though. Not a fast quarterback necessarily that will dictate everything about an offense. Not Sam Bradford or Landry Jones either. But a solid guy, who will lead the troops, like a John Parker Wilson or a Greg McElroy or Wisconsin's Tolzien.

This this this.

We need to think about recruiting to our strengths. I think we can recruit QBs that make good decisions and have good pocket presence, just like the guys you said, Mcleroy, Tolzien, etc. We can recruit good powerful linemen, that's what NU is all about. We have a lasting reputation as a running team, and that's why we've been able to recruit good backs like Heard, Burkhead, and Green. We wouldn't need loads of elite receivers like we would with a spread, and we've done well with having one or two solid receivers in years past. (Purify-Nunn, Swift Peterson, Paul-Kinnie). I think the pro style plays to our strengths better than any offense, and it's the best way to find balance, which I know so many of us want.

This this this.

We need to think about recruiting to our strengths. I think we can recruit QBs that make good decisions and have good pocket presence, just like the guys you said, Mcleroy, Tolzien, etc. We can recruit good powerful linemen, that's what NU is all about. We have a lasting reputation as a running team, and that's why we've been able to recruit good backs like Heard, Burkhead, and Green. We wouldn't need loads of elite receivers like we would with a spread, and we've done well with having one or two solid receivers in years past. (Purify-Nunn, Swift Peterson, Paul-Kinnie). I think the pro style plays to our strengths better than any offense, and it's the best way to find balance, which I know so many of us want.

This would play into the Pelini's scheme on defense as well. I do believe that Cody Green could be the QB in this Offense.

Lots of discussion about offense i was thinking, With the current players we have what do all the armchair OCs think we Can, not what we want, to run.

My thoughts.

1. Spread style. This takes a good descision maker, quick thinker, defense reader etc at Qb. Also have to have a QB who is a true dual threat Runner/passer. Not thinkin TM , or CG is our guy, maybe one of the new guys. Also need solid receivers, not sure who they would be.

2. Option. I think TM might actually do well in this style, but he would get hit a lot and dont know if he could take that all season.CG could probably run it but not to his strengths.Again maybe a new guy could? Dont think the receivers/and O line are up to it either.

3. West coast/pro style. I actually somewhat enjoyed this style, Zach Taylor was pretty good at picking apart defenses, moving down the field, and scoring in a hurry. loved the fade route in the end zone to Purify too. Unless an act of God takes place, and Bubba actually shows up, i dont see any of our QBs running that style. Also need quite a few more good receivers, and different type of O linemen to run this.

4. Smashmouth style. With Burkhead, and Robinson here and 2 more 4 star RBs coming in, i could see this working. Any of our QBs would fit, and if one went down the wheels wouldnt come off. O line might be better concentrating on pancaking the guy in from of them. Control the clock and beat em down in the 4th quarter.

Im sure there are more styles, or combinations thereof, than what i said, just thinking about the offensive identity we all want.Really would be better to run what we CAN more than what we want. I would say 1 or 4 is our best option.

All depends on who is your QB

Doesn't matter what "style" of offense NU decides to attempt to run as long as Barney Fife is running the OLine. Any style will look the same, a clusterf#$k. Until things are shored up in the offensive trenches, it won't matter. Hell NU could survive just fine keeping Wats as long as Barney Rubble isn't holding down the helm with the big uglies.

YEP!

All we do is run the football. Look at Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Boise State, and TCU. There offense is mainly passing.

Teams with offenses just based on rushing like Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska never go far. And that will change once we fire Watson and start Turner

All we do is run the football. Look at Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Boise State, and TCU. There offense is mainly passing.

Teams with offenses just based on rushing like Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska never go far. And that will change once we fire Watson and start Turner

Are you watching the same games I am? All the teams you mention I would call balanced offenses. Stats as per espn.

Auburn is #4 is rushing #61 in passing

TCU is #9 in rushing #49 passing

Boise is #26 in rushing #4 in passing

OSU is #29 in rushing #3 in passing

Bama #37 and #22 in passing.

ARK is #67 and #7 passing

Nebraska is #8 in rushing and an awe inspiring #97 in passing.

Haspula, Wisconsin says HI

Wisconsin:

Tolzien: 194/266 2459 yrds. 16 TDS 6 INT. Pretty darn good numbers if you ask me!

Oregon:

Thomas: 195/321 2518 yrds. 28 TDS 7 INT. He's only a sophmore.

Nebraska:

Martinez: 116/196 1631 yrds. 10 TDS 7 INT.

Both teams have better passing numbers and more attempts than Nebraska does.