Offensive Coching Staff Evaluations

The offense was terrible in the second half of the season. The offense should be better at the end of the season, all units should be. This season has been a big disappointment. It was Bo's 3rd year, the 3rd year is when a great coach turns the corner and wins championships. I love Bo. If Bo keeps the staff together and continues to get these results Bo may not get a chance to change the staff. Bo could be fired himself. So here are my evaluations.

Watson has been a terrible play caller. He may have been handcuffed by Bo, but it was Watson who recruited Cody Green and to a lesser extent Zac Lee. I dont think he had much to do with recruiting T-Mart, but my point is he chose these QB's and he needs to take responsibility if they miss. He has reconstructed the offense in the middle of '09 at Bo's request and again to begin '10. So in fairness this has been his first season running a new offense. I believe he is a good coach, but it's not like he can be demoted. It would be a risk for Bo to think Watson could turn this offense around.

Gilmore is a bum. This guy does little for our recruiting. He turns a talent like Niles Paul into a punch line. Kinnie has produced, but as a JUCO how much credit can Gilmore get for that? Guys like Guillen, Cooper, and Enuwa who show promise in practice or games are unable to see the field. Chris Brooks can't get on the field at NU, but get hard looks from the NFL. I will stop ranting now.

Barney Cotton is OK in my opinion. I am frustrated with the sacks. I think the run game really improved this year. In Cotton's defense I will point out the talent level of the '10 OL. Caputo was a walk-on. Sirles is a 3-star RS-FR. Ricky Henry is a 3-star JUCO. DJ a 3-star. Keith Williams a 4-star. The OL depth was pretty thin when Barney showed up, and I expect the OL to improve as guys like A-Rod get into the mix.

Ron Brown bleeds husker red, gotta love this guy. He is an asset to recruiting efforts. It would be hard to get rid of this guy.

Tim Beck should be the OC next year right. He seems to be a bright young mind. He is a great recruiter. He has no OC experience, and has never called plays at the college level. There is not much more he can do for himself as a position coach, and one would think he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere if that is his desire. I dont know if he should be OC, but it would suck to lose him.

So what does Bo do? What would Tom do? I believe Tom is tutoring Bo, and will have a hand in this. I dont think Tom ever fired a coach. It eventually turned out OK for him, but Tom's AD through much of that tough time was Devany. Bo will be HC as long as Tom is AD, but how long is that? We all know how a 9-3 coach can be fired by a new AD. Im ranting again.

What should be done? Promote Tim Beck and bring some young coaches into the mix? Give the reins of the offense to a new OC who will change the system? Stick with everyone on the staff and give them year 2 to develop their system?

Im sorry if I am too long. Please no mention of names for new offensive coaches, they have all been stated in previous threads. I would like to hear opinions of the current coaches.

The offense was terrible in the second half of the season. The offense should be better at the end of the season, all units should be. This season has been a big disappointment. It was Bo's 3rd year, the 3rd year is when a great coach turns the corner and wins championships. I love Bo. If Bo keeps the staff together and continues to get these results Bo may not get a chance to change the staff. Bo could be fired himself. So here are my evaluations.

Watson has been a terrible play caller. He may have been handcuffed by Bo, but it was Watson who recruited Cody Green and to a lesser extent Zac Lee. I dont think he had much to do with recruiting T-Mart, but my point is he chose these QB's and he needs to take responsibility if they miss. He has reconstructed the offense in the middle of '09 at Bo's request and again to begin '10. So in fairness this has been his first season running a new offense. I believe he is a good coach, but it's not like he can be demoted. It would be a risk for Bo to think Watson could turn this offense around.

Gilmore is a bum. This guy does little for our recruiting. He turns a talent like Niles Paul into a punch line. Kinnie has produced, but as a JUCO how much credit can Gilmore get for that? Guys like Guillen, Cooper, and Enuwa who show promise in practice or games are unable to see the field. Chris Brooks can't get on the field at NU, but get hard looks from the NFL. I will stop ranting now.

Barney Cotton is OK in my opinion. I am frustrated with the sacks. I think the run game really improved this year. In Cotton's defense I will point out the talent level of the '10 OL. Caputo was a walk-on. Sirles is a 3-star RS-FR. Ricky Henry is a 3-star JUCO. DJ a 3-star. Keith Williams a 4-star. The OL depth was pretty thin when Barney showed up, and I expect the OL to improve as guys like A-Rod get into the mix.

Ron Brown bleeds husker red, gotta love this guy. He is an asset to recruiting efforts. It would be hard to get rid of this guy.

Tim Beck should be the OC next year right. He seems to be a bright young mind. He is a great recruiter. He has no OC experience, and has never called plays at the college level. There is not much more he can do for himself as a position coach, and one would think he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere if that is his desire. I dont know if he should be OC, but it would suck to lose him.

So what does Bo do? What would Tom do? I believe Tom is tutoring Bo, and will have a hand in this. I dont think Tom ever fired a coach. It eventually turned out OK for him, but Tom's AD through much of that tough time was Devany. Bo will be HC as long as Tom is AD, but how long is that? We all know how a 9-3 coach can be fired by a new AD. Im ranting again.

What should be done? Promote Tim Beck and bring some young coaches into the mix? Give the reins of the offense to a new OC who will change the system? Stick with everyone on the staff and give them year 2 to develop their system?

Im sorry if I am too long. Please no mention of names for new offensive coaches, they have all been stated in previous threads. I would like to hear opinions of the current coaches.

You are on your own on that opinion, in my mind Cotton needs to be the first one to go he is TERRIBLE!

It would be a risk for Bo to think Watson could turn this offense around.

I think this is the crux of it, IMO.

There is a growing contingent that want to go and get someone with a great track record and spread background on O and hand the reigns completely to him. I think if we are going to stay the internal/"turn this around" route - which I don't see as stupid - we may as well stick with Watson (with Beck as RBs guy) over Beck, and lose some of the dead weight elsewhere on the staff. I believe in that to an extent, but I can't fault people for wanting more urgency. I doubt Watson will be an option to keep even if we wanted him though. And I think we could be better off splashing a name and letting him be his own true OC. I am not sure if Bo will do that.

Gilmore is assuredly a bum, and Cotton even more of one. The only thing Cotton has going for him is he was never associated with Callahan. I think he wanted to be kept on, too, but was passed over and still bitter for it.

I love me some Ron Brown, but he is definitely not an asset in his recruiting effort. I am always on the 'less blowing up of things, the better' side, so Brown is not someone I would call for to leave.

Beck, I like for his recruiting efforts. How he is as a coach I don't know, but I think there's no reason to think negative yet. How he is as OC is definitely unknown. Is he a bright young mind? Perhaps, but we better keep that talk on the down-low, because it is not a quality that will endear him to Husker fans, for whatever reason! <_< Given that Watson /will/ leave (my own guess, which would be wrong), I would not mind too much if we give the reigns to Beck and see what he can do. I don't know if that is the best option, though.

Although if there's one thing we learned from the Taylor Offense this year is that there's few shortcuts or quick fixes. And to me, grabbing a top name established OC and blowing things up, when he might leave soon anyway, smells a little like a 'quick fix.' I am not sure how I feel about that option yet.

• Fire 1

Dude, your expectations are way to high. How many coaches that have NC under there belt did it within 3 years of becoming head coach. Bo Palini isn't a wizard. It takes time. Yes this season was a let down but we won 10 games. Be patient.

Saban at Alabama, Meyer at Florida. It get your point, but the end of this season feels like a step backward.

Dude, your expectations are way to high. How many coaches that have NC under there belt did it within 3 years of becoming head coach. Bo Palini isn't a wizard. It takes time. Yes this season was a let down but we won 10 games. Be patient.

I completely agree that changes need to be made on the offensive staff. That does fall on Bo's sholders. There are also a lot of politics involved. I hope Bo makes the right call.

You are on your own on that opinion, in my mind Cotton needs to be the first one to go he is TERRIBLE!

Thank you! Cotton sucks! Should not be here in the first place.

Thank you! Cotton sucks! Should not be here in the first place.

I appreciate your opinions on Cotton, but blame the poor play of the OL on talent. Not sayin I'm right guess I'm just trying to defend my position. Not expecting much help.

It's not about winning national championships, it's about the level of play we're seeing on the field. The last two years, the offense hasn't been playing "Nebraska football." The offense has been undisciplined, they've struggled to run the ball (at least with Martinez hurt), they've committed turnovers and penalties like crazy, and much of the time they haven't played physical.

I think I speak for most Nebraska fans when I say it's not so much about whether the team wins or not, and more about how the team plays. It's one thing to get beat by a better team, but I don't really think that happened this year. That's what is so frustrating.

• Fire 3

Patient might be valid if we had made progress this year. But we didnt. The offense has had way too many games where it could not manage 2 TDs. 3 TDs a game and the Huskers are 14-0. This is not the NFL, its not that hard to score, not on most teams. Washington, Kansas, SDSU, A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma all managed to hold us under 21 points. That is unacceptable.

To start off, saying year 3 is the year when coaches "should be turning the corner and winning championships" is ridiculous. Look at what Bo came in with. If you told me at the end of 2007 that 3 years from then we were a 10 win team I call you crazy. Bo has done great things, but expecting championships in year 3? A little much.

I agree that Twatson sucks at play calling and Gilmore is a bum. I have mixed feelings about Barney. All the stupid pointless sacks that T-Tragic took looked bad on Cotton's part.

It's hard to argue against Beck being such a solid recruiter. That seems to be what gets a rise out of everyone.

My question to everyone is 'What good is a recruiter if they can't do anything with the players?'. I don't know whether or not Beck would be a good OC or not, but I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

I always think about John Blake when you talk about amazing recruiters that can't coach. I'd rather have a proven OC right now.