I want THIS offense!!!

I'm watching a replay of the 1995 championship game against Miami. Man those boys were good. Miami was good too but Wow-that offensive line didn't let much get through. Glad to see ESPN show games that the Huskers have won. I don't know about anyone else but it's like ESPN really doesn't like Nebraska. I think that's particularly true of Chris Fowler. Is this just my perception? I know Collin Cowpoop doesn't like us. I remember him crabbing about how he hated the 'option play' that Nebraska would play and how it didn't prepare those boys for the NFL.

Anyway, I love those old games. I was also surprised to hear that Osborne had not won a bowl game since 1987. He had won every thing else but those bowl games just seemed to elude him until this game.

I think what frustrates me about the Osborne years vs. the way our boys are playing now is that those old NU teams, if they lost, they didn't lose by lack of trying. The coaches were always changing things up. It seems like our current coaches don't even try other things. THAT is what's the most frustrating for me. (Alright! Schlessinger just made a touchdown! Gotta love those legendary Huskers!!)

The offensive line, thats where it all starts. I'd love to see Bo recruit and develop an O-line like the one Osborne put together in the championship years. It would take this offense miles ahead.

Now that he has the defense pretty well in hand do you think he'll probably go in that direction? Does he do the recruiting with offense or is that left totally up to the OC? Does Dr. Tom ever go on those recruiting trips?

I've also been wondering why Nebraska doesn't recruit more in state kids. Can you imagine how great our team would've been with Danny Woodhead at the helm? He's doing fabulous things in the NFL and NU missed him. How did that happen?

In order to keep things in perspective, I urge you to go back and watch the seven bowl games in a row where we lost. We lost some of those bowl games so bad under TO that some of us wondered whether or not the team even got off the airplane. The 1991 season resulted in us playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up zero points, 82 yards rushing, and 89 yards passing. The 1988 season resulted in up playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up three points, 80 yards rushing, and 55 yards passing. I would say we already have that offense down pretty well. When people start being critical of coaches, I think it's always important to understand that even the greats faced their fair share of criticism. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO's offenses.

I've also been wondering why Nebraska doesn't recruit more in state kids. Can you imagine how great our team would've been with Danny Woodhead at the helm? He's doing fabulous things in the NFL and NU missed him. How did that happen?

The Danny Woodhead Saga has been talked about for years. Short version: He was recruited by Solich, got dropped when Solich was fired, committed to Chadron State, was recruited VERY late in the game by Callahan, but stuck to his commitment to play at Chadron.

In order to keep things in perspective, I urge you to go back and watch the seven bowl games in a row where we lost. We lost some of those bowl games so bad under TO that some of us wondered whether or not the team even got off the airplane. The 1991 season resulted in us playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up zero points, 82 yards rushing, and 89 yards passing. The 1988 season resulted in up playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up three points, 80 yards rushing, and 55 yards passing. I would say we already have that offense down pretty well. When people start being critical of coaches, I think it's always important to understand that even the greats faced their fair share of criticism. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO's offenses.

Also keep in perspective T.O. was playing for National Championships too. There may have been grumbling but that got passed because T.O. could make to the top and capable. Bo hasn't reached that. They knew what T.O. could do we don't know how good Bo will turn out to be. Now think about this. It took Bob Stoops two years to turn around Oklahoma to win a National Championship. Oklahoma was bad during the 90's.

The Danny Woodhead Saga has been talked about for years. Short version: He was recruited by Solich, got dropped when Solich was fired, committed to Chadron State, was recruited VERY late in the game by Callahan, but stuck to his commitment to play at Chadron.

Thanks for the short version :)

Also keep in perspective T.O. was playing for National Championships too. There may have been grumbling but that got passed because T.O. could make to the top and capable. Bo hasn't reached that. They knew what T.O. could do we don't know how good Bo will turn out to be. Now think about this. It took Bob Stoops two years to turn around Oklahoma to win a National Championship. Oklahoma was bad during the 90's.

I guess my point was that it seemed that Osborne had alot of different things that he tried. They didn't always work but he just seemed to change things up more. I know that TO had his share of 'crabbers'. At one point he even considered leaving NU. Glad he chose not to.

Maybe there isn't really that much difference. Maybe I just need to give the team some time, Watson included. I do think there need to be changes made on the offense though.

I guess my point was that it seemed that Osborne had alot of different things that he tried. They didn't always work but he just seemed to change things up more. I know that TO had his share of 'crabbers'. At one point he even considered leaving NU. Glad he chose not to.

Maybe there isn't really that much difference. Maybe I just need to give the team some time, Watson included. I do think there need to be changes made on the offense though.

No, Watson needs to go. Maybe if things got changed and tried working on them i would give him the benefit of the doubt. But when i keep seeing game after game the same mistakes it just shows no attempt at fixing anything. Fumbles, false starts nothing. Teams get better when the season gets near the end we got worse at the end. Don't even get me started on play calling or game plan cause Watson can't do that either.

you'll also recall after those 7 straight bowl losses that it dawned on Coach Osborne and staff that taking time off might not have been the best thing as far as keeping the players sharp. It helped things click once that happened and hopefully Coach Pelini sees that sooner than later.

He was playing for National Championships, but in a much different era. The parody in college football is much greater today. Stoops accomplishment was awesome, and not easily duplicated.

• Fire 1

In neither one of those years mentioned would we have won the NC had we won the bowl game. We didn't even win the Big 8 outright until 1981, and we were a three loss team that year. It wasn't until TO's 11th season that we played for a NC. Another thing to think about is that TO inherited a NC calibur team while Bo inherited the mess Clownahan left. I'm not exactly sure how you can say we knew what TO could do but we don't know how good Bo will turn out. TO thought about leaving Nebraska after he'd coached more years here than BO has coached so far. In all reality if TO would have started coaching at Nebraska thirty or so years later than he did he would have been fired.

In neither one of those years mentioned would we have won the NC had we won the bowl game. We didn't even win the Big 8 outright until 1981, and we were a three loss team that year. It wasn't until TO's 11th season that we played for a NC. Another thing to think about is that TO inherited a NC calibur team while Bo inherited the mess Clownahan left. I'm not exactly sure how you can say we knew what TO could do but we don't know how good Bo will turn out. TO thought about leaving Nebraska after he'd coached more years here than BO has coached so far. In all reality if TO would have started coaching at Nebraska thirty or so years later than he did he would have been fired.

We don't know how good Bo will be. He hasn't won a conference championship. I agree TO wouldn't last that long in today's coaching world and now we can be more critical of Bo and he simply can't ignore one side of the ball anymore. But at least at the end of the season we were ranked high under TO. we will drop out this year.

The offensive line, thats where it all starts. I'd love to see Bo recruit and develop an O-line like the one Osborne put together in the championship years. It would take this offense miles ahead.

Now that he has the defense pretty well in hand do you think he'll probably go in that direction? Does he do the recruiting with offense or is that left totally up to the OC? Does Dr. Tom ever go on those recruiting trips?

Because there's not that much talent in Nebraska. There's barely any. That's why the SEC has been so dominant, all the "speed" and "athleticism" is down south. With the flux of recruiting talent tilted wayyyy to the south, really they only thing Nebraska has going for it is prestige and tradition, much like Notre Dame, that's why we're on such a slippery slope. When places like Texas and Georgia have a down period it's easier for them to recover because they not only have prestige and tradition, but they have the warm weather and rich recruiting bases. The changing of the times really has dictated why we don't run that offense anymore, why really no one (except for the service academies and Georgia Tech) runs it anymore. The games about speed and preparation now. Speed and preparation are the two most important aspects of defending the option.